Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Foreverandever

Why dont you...

Hi, new here and I have a question that I've been wanting to ask for a long time. If religious people are so amped on god and how great heaven will be and how they get to be with him at all times, etc...

Then why don't they kill themselves to be with him?

Maybe that's why suicide is considered a sin? To prevent them from killing themselves?

And since god "forgives" all sins...wouldnt he forgive you for suicide? Especially since you are doing it to be with him in heaven?

And please dont tell me that you want to live out your life instead of killing yourself because he has a mission for you on earth
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Tenspace
I Live Here

That thought was immortalized on a bumper sticker (in my mind):

"If heaven's so great, what are you waiting for?"

Welcome to the forums.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Eva
Super Moderator

hey! go introduce yourself in the, what is it called.....ah, yes, Introduce Yourself section....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
Foreverandever

It wasn't an introduction. I simply stated that I was new here before I asked the question
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Jeetards think their reward in heaven will be greater if they lead miserable lives down here. They get extra points if they make the rest of us miserable while they're at it, which explains a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Eva
Super Moderator

i know it wasn't an introduction....and i read what you stated.
now, can you read what i posted?

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Foreverandever wrote View Post
It wasn't an introduction. I simply stated that I was new here before I asked the question
Right. Which is why Eva was asking you to go introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" thread. It's a friendly request (not an order) we ask of every new member. If you don't feel like it, that's fine, but it makes conversation easier and avoids us having to make assumptions.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
nkb

Quote:
Hi, new here and I have a question that I've been wanting to ask for a long time. If religious people are so amped on god and how great heaven will be and how they get to be with him at all times, etc...

Then why don't they kill themselves to be with him?

Maybe that's why suicide is considered a sin? To prevent them from killing themselves?

And since god "forgives" all sins...wouldnt he forgive you for suicide? Especially since you are doing it to be with him in heaven?

And please dont tell me that you want to live out your life instead of killing yourself because he has a mission for you on earth
Just to take your query a bit further:
Why don't Christians kill their kids in infancy, before they've had a chance to sin, thereby assuring them a place in heaven? Yes, the parents would suffer in the afterlife, but that seems a small price to pay to avoid having your children go to hell.

If I knew (beyond a shadow of a doubt) that I could guarantee my children's well-being for all eternity, I would do whatever it takes, even if I jeopardize myself in the process.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Ellie Arroway

Quote:
Yes, but see it's more polite to introduce yourself first....then post....just a thought.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Just to take your query a bit further:
Why don't Christians kill their kids in infancy, before they've had a chance to sin, thereby assuring them a place in heaven? Yes, the parents would suffer in the afterlife, but that seems a small price to pay to avoid having your children go to hell.

If I knew (beyond a shadow of a doubt) that I could guarantee my children's well-being for all eternity, I would do whatever it takes, even if I jeopardize myself in the process.
To go a step even further, wouldn't the most selfless act be impregnating as many women as possible, and ensuring they all have abortions, thus sending the little feti-souls to heaven? You'd go to hell for murder, but think of the hundreds (thousands even) of souls you would guarantee entrance through the pearly gates.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
nkb

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
To go a step even further, wouldn't the most selfless act be impregnating as many women as possible, and ensuring they all have abortions, thus sending the little feti-souls to heaven? You'd go to hell for murder, but think of the hundreds (thousands even) of souls you would guarantee entrance through the pearly gates.
To go even further, wouldn't the most selfless act be fertilizing as many eggs as possible, then implanting as many as possible into as many women as possible, then aborting?

We should fill the world with octo(almost)moms. The ratio of feti-souls saved, to adults damned to hell, would skyrocket.

Boy, I hope the Catholic Church is right, and feti-souls go straight to heaven, without having to pass limbo.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
To go even further, wouldn't the most selfless act be fertilizing as many eggs as possible, then implanting as many as possible into as many women as possible, then aborting?

We should fill the world with octo(almost)moms. The ratio of feti-souls saved, to adults damned to hell, would skyrocket.

Boy, I hope the Catholic Church is right, and feti-souls go straight to heaven, without having to pass limbo.
I actually heard a republican congressman (didn't catch who) say on CNN a short while ago that the fertilized eggs are human life even before implantation (he was talking about Obama's reversal of W's stem cell policy). In that light, you wouldn't even need to get any women preggers, just a cooler of eggs and a bucket of sperm. Fertilize then flush those feti-christians down the toilet and straight to heaven!

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Wasn't that the republicunt minority beat whip?

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Wasn't that the republicunt minority beat whip?
Could have been, it was on one of the Tee-Vee's where I had lunch. The sub-titles were coverin' up his name (and all old white people look the same to me).

Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

If you believe that every sperm is a person (and who doesn't?), then you can cut out the middle man (a cave man, it turns out) and simply crank out billions of souls, as often as possible, and send them directly to Jesus without their having to go through the rigmarole of Original Sin. I'm on it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote