Old 05-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

The Raving Cartographers

When we moved over to vBulletin, Chris put up a Google map for us to locate ourselves on (I think it still exists somewhere). But that's all you could do: drop a pin where you are, and you couldn't even edit it if you fucked up the location, as I did.

What I'd like to do here, on the off-chance that it is possible to herd cats, is build a collaborative map with others in this god-forsaken community.

To that end I've created a Google map titled "Raving Atheists." I encourage all the regulars and irregulars to post their geographical positions there, but also to post all manner of other crap. (To start things off, I put markers on places where I've met real-live Ravers, as well as on the nearest bar in my neighborhood, the latter marking my approximate position.)

You can add text, note who was there, the amount of dodgy vindaloo + Drambuie consumed, whether there was anal, etc. Fact, we can add whatever the fuck we want to the map: Crop circle locations, touchdown Jesus statues, road trip routes, Catholic dioceses that have settled paedophile cases, Hubble images (or star formations for a given locale on a given date -- hello, Hippy Chick), etc etc ... or your own photos, youtube clips, VD clinic locations (for Ghoulslime), etc., etc. ... Et. Fucking. Cetera. Google Maps has been adding new layers like krazy (and you can view our created map in Google Earth if you're so inclined).

I've set the controls so anybody can edit the map, but I still might need to send email invitations to map collaborators. Here's the link. Try it if urine-trested; if you can't edit or if it comes up with no data, then PM me your edress and I'll get you past the velvet rope. I swear before all that is unholy that I will never use the edress for other porpoises ... (Also will someone let me know if MY email appears on that frigging map -- it does when I access it, but I assume that's because I'm logged in thru this computer.)
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Livingstrong

Phil, I went to your link and it's real cool, but I tried to "collaborate" clicking on that button and for some reason it didn't let me add my position in the map.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

As the map creator, I think I'm going to need to 'invite' you to edit it, Livingstrong. If you like, pls send me your email address and I'll do so. The email address won't be shared elsewhere.

It would be cool to see some of your biking places on the map.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Old 05-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Livingstrong

I see. I'll get back to you then, Phill. Thank you very much.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Some cocksmokers have been adding religious crap to the map (actually, it's pretty funny if it's Lily or some other Raving Jeetard), so I disabled the "any asshole can edit" feature.

You'll need to send me a message with your email address to get invited in.

P.S. I welcome Lily or any other Raving Lunatics' contributions to the map.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
ubs
I Live Here

I was that cock smoker.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

sorry ubs (they were tagged UVS, how was I to know??)

Anyway, I invited you; now I'm going to go back and re-enable the 'any cocksmoker can edit' function. (And you're not just any cocksmoker.)

Livingstrong -- and anybody else -- you should be able to edit without an invite from me. PLEASE tag anything you add with your online ID somehow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't see where you can add stuff to this map. Do you have to have a google account?

Please enlighten.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't see where you can add stuff to this map. Do you have to have a google account?

Please enlighten.
  1. Click on Phil's link
  2. In the search maps bar at the top, put in the address you want to add, like "Hollywood, CA"
  3. When the balloon appears on the map for your address, one of the links below will say "Save to My Maps,"Click this and then select the ra map
  4. Hit Save
  5. You will then be prompted to Fill in title and explanation for the point and also, select a point icon
  6. When you are done, hit "OK"
  7. If you don't like what you created, click on your point which will now be on the list to the left and when the balloon appears, click the delete link to the lower left of the balloon.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
psychodiva
I Live Here

Ha! thanks for the tutorial

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Not many of us showing up in The Middle East?!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I'm still trying to figure out how this thing works. I've added a "Ground Zero Mapplet" to the map, in which you can pick a select city, choose a nuclear weapon in kilotonnage, then see how far the devastation spreads. Do others get that when they access the map?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
Wakkun

I'm not seeing it. Is it on the map itself?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Wakkun wrote View Post
I'm not seeing it. Is it on the map itself?
  1. Under the "my maps" tab, you will see a link that says "Browse the Directory." Click on that and it will take you to a new page.
  2. Type "Ground Zero" in the search bar at the top of the page and an applet will appear with a mushroom cloud pic
  3. Click "Add to Maps"
  4. Click the "Back to Google Maps" Link (top left) to return to your maps. The ground zero maplet should already be checked, but if not check it.
  5. A drop down list will appear on the lower left of the screen. Select the city and the weapon.

Last edited by ubs; 05-04-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

He He He - an asteroid slamming into London almost takes out New York as well!
Wonder if Osama's had a word with Allah to arrange such an event?

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote