Old 05-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #31
postbicameral

My take on ghosts, ESP, telekinisis, and supernatural stuff in general is this:

If it's real, there is a process that is causing it. And that process can be studied, quantified, and understood. Until I see that, I'm not buying any of it.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #32
brad89

This is a bit random, bit was "The Blair Witch Project" just a movie, or did it really happen? I saw the back of a movie that was a "documentary" on the actual case. It was called sticks and stones I think, but I was wondering if it were just a hoax or an unsolved case, etc.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:02 AM   #33
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
skribb wrote
You are absolutely right Demigod, good post. I read some stuff on Wikipedia, and came to the conclusion that I could of been suffering from hypnogognia as well (a condition in which the mind is dreaming even though your body is awake).
FYI hypnogognia does not feature on Wiki, in fact I have failed to find it listed as a clinical entity. Hypnogogic states and hypnogogic hallucinations are possibly what you mean?
I say this because as you incorrectly state, a body cannot be awake - awakeness is a state of consciousness and hence a state of arousal of the human brain. A body neither wakes nor sleeps, it either rests or works. The brain does the sleeping / waking.

Also hypnogogic states and hallucinations only occur (as the name suggets) around sleeping (converse is hypnopompic - i.e. around waking) so unless you perceived all of the these strange things whilst nodding off to sleep, then this is not the explanation.

There is some evidence to suggest a correlation between poltergeist phenomena and teenage girls (n.b. I am assuming you are female here please correct me if I'm wrong).

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #34
skribb

I guess hypnogogic states is what I meant by "hypnogognia", and furthermore my explanation was a bit off. Of course it is the brain that is sleeping and not-sleeping - what I was trying to say was, well, I don't know honestly.

Anyway - I wasn't dozing off during the time(s) it happened, though it's always been late at night, or should I say, early in the morning. I guess they were just simple gusts of wind, my paranoia stirring up or my wild imagination sweeping me away through the distant realms of my crazy maze called the "mind".

Last thing: No, I am not female. What makes you think that? Is it the avatar? Or something else?

Edit: I would write more (I think), but I have to continue working on my short story.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 AM   #35
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Yup it was the avatar - you'd already stated your age as 17. No offence and thanks for correcting.
hypnogogic hallucinations or not, they seem real enough at the time and are processed at a nearly conscious level. They can be quite scary, but they are quite common. Most people probably don't know how to distinguish them from reality.

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #36
thenormalyears

As I was reading this thread, my fucking piano made the sound of a few keys hitting. Before my rational brain told me "cat" my crazy brain said "ghost"

I think thats fabulous. What good is life if you can't turn your brain off and have a little fun sometimes.