Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

may not be so nutty after all.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Gnosital
still unsmited

I told Lily to read this article when she was getting all snarky the other day. Oh, and I told her she needed to get laid too. And do some X. Then she could name all her negative emotions and get it out of her system.

Funny, I don't recall her thanking me for that fabulous mental health advice.

Anyhoo...Sam's no dummy. Meditation is a scientifically valid way to reduce stress and increase mental focus and control. It gets a bad rap by being associated with all the woowoos.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
Choobus
I Live Here

you have to admit that Sam HArris does not usually use this kind of argument to back up his pro-new age wank position. I think he starts to lose his credibility when he goes off on this shit, despite what this article says.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Choobus wrote
you have to admit that Sam HArris does not usually use this kind of argument to back up his pro-new age wank position. I think he starts to lose his credibility when he goes off on this shit, despite what this article says.
Agreed. His message may be valid but his delivery is shit.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Lily

Quote:
Gnosital wrote
I told Lily to read this article when whe was getting all snarky the other day. Oh, and I told her she needed to get laid too. And do some X. Then she could name all her negative emotions and get it out of her system.

Anyhoo...Sam's no dummy. Meditation is a scientifically valid way to reduce stress and increase mental focus and control. It gets a bad rap by being associated with all the woowoos.
You know, it is funny. I controlled myself long enough not to respond to this nonsense when you first wrote it. Repeating it when you aren't, presumably, having a tantrum is completely unacceptable. Frankly, I think it is shameful for any woman to write such drivel. "You need to get laid." is the contemptuous response with which men dismiss women and their ideas, arguments and concerns. It is sexist, boorish and just plain old dumb. Does it help you find acceptance with the good old boys of your acquaintance? I know the boys here like it.

And then, you want me to do drugs (I think you gave your imprimatur to alcohol the other day, as well). So, basically, you are prescribing for me the regimen that patently doesn't work for you, since your negative emotions are on regular display.

Physician, heal thyself.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
Gnosital wrote
I told Lily to read this article when whe was getting all snarky the other day. Oh, and I told her she needed to get laid too. And do some X. Then she could name all her negative emotions and get it out of her system.

You know, it is funny. I controlled myself long enough not to respond to this nonsense when you first wrote it. Repeating it when you aren't, presumably, having a tantrum is completely unacceptable. Frankly, I think it is shameful for any woman to write such drivel. "You need to get laid." is the contemptuous response with which men dismiss women and their ideas, arguments and concerns. It is sexist, boorish and just plain old dumb. Does it help you find acceptance with the good old boys of your acquaintance? I know the boys here like it.

And then, you want me to do drugs (I think you gave your imprimatur to alcohol the other day, as well). So, basically, you are prescribing for me the regimen that patently doesn't work for you, since your negative emotions are on regular display.

Physician, heal thyself.
The only thing that's sexist is your prudish Old Testament worldview about sex.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Lily

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Thank you for illustrating my point. This is the usual testosterone-fueled nonsense that men spew, particularly in venues such as this one. You do not, in fact, know anything about my view of sex. I haven't discussed it here and, I hasten to add, I will not. Just remember that business about when you assume ...
Old 07-03-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Thank you for illustrating my point. This is the usual testosterone-fueled nonsense that men spew, particularly in venues such as this one. You do not, in fact, know anything about my view of sex. I haven't discussed it here and, I hasten to add, I will not. Just remember that business about when you assume ...
You just did.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
Lily

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
You just did.
Did what? One liners only work when the context is clear.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:54 AM   #10
inkadu
Obsessed Member

My impression about Sam Harris is that he's sort of a messiahnic buddhist -- he thinks that meditation can somehow save the world, if everybody would just meditate a thousand flowers would bloom. I think meditation can help some people with some problems, but it's not the salvation of the world by any stretch.

Also, Lily, you are being comical. Your prudish tirades are a delight.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
Lily

Quote:
inkadu wrote
My impression about Sam Harris is that he's sort of a messiahnic buddhist -- he thinks that meditation can somehow save the world, if everybody would just meditate a thousand flowers would bloom. I think meditation can help some people with some problems, but it's not the salvation of the world by any stretch.

Thus we descend into farce. This is absolutely wonderful.

I don't talk about sex ever, so I cannot have gone into a tirades about it, delightful or not. But do go on and defend sexist (which is just another word for misogynist) bullying. I never tire of reprobating that.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #12
Professor Chaos

I suppose it's possible Lily doesn't know that "get[ting] laid" means having sex. You know, since she never ever talks about it ever never.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #13
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Thus we descend into farce. This is absolutely wonderful.
Isn't it, though?

Quote:
I don't talk about sex ever, so I cannot have gone into a tirades about it, delightful or not.
I didn't say you did. But your tirades are still prudish -- probably because you won't talk about sex. Why won't you talk about sex? Why is it such a forbidden topic?

Quote:
But do go on and defend sexist (which is just another word for misogynist) bullying. I never tire of reprobating that.
I think everyone is seriously concerned about your ability to have an orgasm. That's not sexist or misogynist. That's just caring about someone.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
Lily wrote
You just did.
Did what? One liners only work when the context is clear.
Or if the reader uses common sense.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 AM   #15
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
Choobus wrote
Agreed. His message may be valid but his delivery is shit.
Troo dat.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote