Old 05-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #31
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

As you point out, the new law is problematic and the only way to iron out the wrinkles is to test it properly in a court of law. Shah's religion related efforts were not tested. I'm no legal wizard (so perhaps Eva can put me across her knee here), but usually, the intent of the parties is considered in any judicial evaluation.

I have no doubt that Shah's religiously motivated, publicly displayed death threats were intended as an incitement to hatred - but his newly acquired criminal record only contains a relatively minor conviction for defacing a public monument.

Did Taylor's efforts really involve incitement to hate? I suspect not, but his record now contains a conviction that he did.

I'll wager a fair sum that Shah is now on a discrete watch list and any future transgression will not receive such a bullshit response from Mr Plod.

I can only Imagine what Mr Lennon would do.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #32
Eva
Super Moderator

intent does not have to be considered per se...in some statutes it is also irrelevant if there was intention or not........
and to make matters more complicted, in our system we have especifoc intention and general intwntion...

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #33
BIG BAD ATHEIST

Smellyoldgit,

This is a corker!

I wondered what the sites were like where my husband posted.
He does not know I am on his site and he is in for a shock when he sees this.

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Since the fabrication of the religions currently rotting away within our societies, it’s us non-believers who’ve been squalking for centuries about the unreasonable rights and privileges the faithful have commanded. The pendulum has been swinging and the road to secularism has only relatively recently got wide enough for the tards to start squalking back.
We’ve touched on many of their recent tardish grizzles here;

The UK House of Lords blocking implementation of our equality laws.
Muzzies in France struggling to keep their beloved burkas.
Now the Sikhs are whinging like fuck about not being allowed to carry their ceremonial stabbers in public.

Of course, now the boot is moving to the other foot, we should expect the declining ranks of the god-squad to look for and exploit loopholes in the law – and the authorities will eventually close them.
Just how much should the laws of the lands be bent to accommodate religious sensibilities?
When is the right time to say fuck off – obey the law you bastards.
I think I know the answer !
BIG BAD ATHEIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #34
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Probably not the right place for this steaming pile of horseshit, but fuck it!

Quote:
Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, has made a wide-ranging intervention into the growing debate on the place of religion in modern society.
Quote:
The Equality Guru wrote
... there is certainly a feeling amongst some people of belief that they are under siege ...

Faith identity is part of what makes life richer and more meaningful for the individual. It is a fundamental part of what makes some societies better than others

Our business is defending the believer. The law we're here to implement recognises that religious identity is an essential part of this society. It's an essential element of being a fulfilled human being.

etc.
etc.
etc.
Even the usually calm and unexciteable BHA has spat out its cucumber sammiges and suggested Phillips gets fucked apologises for his blatantly biased gibberish.
Quote:
The Chair of Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) Trevor Phillips has been called on to apologise by the British Humanist Association (BHA), after he made heavily biased remarks in favour of religious people and against the non-religious in an interview. The BHA has described Mr Phillips’ comments as ‘divisive and sectarian’.
I think he should start by reminding himself what 'equality' means. Fucker.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #35
Broga
Obsessed Member

There does seem to be a drift away from religion and towards secularism. That this has gathered strength owes much, of course, to that good friend of the secularists, the one and only, Ratzinger. His effect on the formerly very RC Ireland has been a delight to observe. Ratzo has kicked out so many priests that they are now writing books exposing him.

The UK has a soft and accomodating approach regarding religion. The Church of England meanders along, the Archbishop of Canterbury's favourite position is sitting on the fence, and with 26 bishops in the House of Lords at £300 a day they want to keep that. However, with christenings at 5 per cent of children, churches running on empty, even they are struggling to explain what they represent. The new game in town is to get religious leaders from all the majors faiths into the House of Lords and the politicians haven't the guts to shout against this.

However, the new kid on the UK block is aggresive atheism, sometimes militant atheism, and sometimes just secular opinion. While the BBC, headed by a devout RC and Ratzi supporting Director General, tries to keep atheist opinion off the airwaves things are changing. The National Secular Society is scaring the religious. A headmaster of a faith school said the RCs must get their act together as the "NSS will exploit every weakness." The NSS is now often quoted in the newspapers and even manages an occasional appearance, usually loaded against their representative, on the BBC. Atheist books flow from the publishers and are in the best sellar lists.

We need to become as demanding, as aggressive as ready to make trouble as the religious. With them that has been acceptible as it is faith. With us it is becoming routine and the more we attack the more routine it will become.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #36
psychodiva
I Live Here

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #37
Davin
Obsessed Member

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #38
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Another rabid christard fails in a forced dismissal claim.

Quote:
A devout Christian who refused to work on a Sunday has lost her discrimination case after a judge ruled it “was not a core component of Christian faith”. Celestina Mba, of Mitcham, had claimed Merton Council unlawfully discriminated against her by asking her to work on Sundays at the Brightwell children's centre in Morden.
Whilst losing one's job in any circumstance is not pleasant, at least she's got all the time in the world to mutter to Jeebus and practice her whinging & whining till the next time.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #39
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Another rabid christard fails in a forced dismissal claim.

Whilst losing one's job in any circumstance is not pleasant, at least she's got all the time in the world to mutter to Jeebus and practice her whinging & whining till the next time.
I hope she's also learned that religion is not a handy excuse to get a guaranteed weekend day off.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #40
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
I hope she's also learned that religion is not a handy excuse to get a guaranteed weekend day off.
Hopefully she has also learned that the sway her stupid beliefs hold are losing their grip on society. I would also like to think that somewhere in all of this someone will point out to her that she is a twat.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #41
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Methinks the judge in this case needs to be fired - probably from a cannon from a cliff-top.

Quote:
The Pennsylvania State Director of American Atheists, Inc., Mr. Ernest Perce V., was assaulted by a Muslim while participating in a Halloween parade. Along with a Zombie Pope, Ernest was costumed as Zombie Muhammad. The assault was caught on video, the Muslim man admitted to his crime and charges were filed in what should have been an open-and-shut case. That’s not what happened, though ....... read on ....
As the article ends, the fight back had better be beginning for all your merkin's sakes ....

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 AM   #42
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Methinks the judge in this case needs to be fired - probably from a cannon from a cliff-top.

As the article ends, the fight back had better be beginning for all your merkin's sakes ....

And it was such a great idea, too. Zombie Pope, Zombie Muhammad!

Theists have absolutely no sense of humor, yet they fling ridicule heedlessly.

The US legal system is sometimes inexplicably hampered by antiquated religious dictates. It is really difficult to fathom.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #43
Davin
Obsessed Member

That is disgusting. The judge should be sacked and publicly ridiculed.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #44
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
That is disgusting. The judge should be sacked and publicly ridiculed.
When in fact he/she (I forget now which) was probably patted on the back and congratulated.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #45
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

I agree, how biased does someone have to be before someone uses some fucking common sense. To then give him such a dressing down, what a cunt. I would like someone to ask the knobhead of a judge what none physical provocation he deems acceptable to ellicit a violent physical reaction.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote