Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #46
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
I agree, how biased does someone have to be before someone uses some fucking common sense. To then give him such a dressing down, what a cunt. I would like someone to ask the knobhead of a judge what none physical provocation he deems acceptable to ellicit a violent physical reaction.
Yes, but this is the US. None of that will happen. Maybe in the UK!

In some ways, the US is still an adolescent country.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #47
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

I don't think this is an excuse for this judge, or for our country: we were founded on secularism, and the trend is reversing, as I see it. Those in power have too much use for religion, so of course they will tolerate and even encourage the public dressing down of free thinking atheists.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #48
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
I don't think this is an excuse for this judge, or for our country: we were founded on secularism, and the trend is reversing, as I see it. Those in power have too much use for religion, so of course they will tolerate and even encourage the public dressing down of free thinking atheists.
I do think it is at least partially a function of age. As those currently in power die or retire, the generations coming up behind them are far more atheist and tolerant. It's just that we still have the Old Guard still in place clutching their Old Values.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 02-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #49
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

I don't know. I hope you're right.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #50
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
I don't know. I hope you're right.
Yeah, me too.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #51
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

An archaic bullshit law is rearing its ugly head to rip off a few thousand shekels from unsuspecting villagers.

Quote:
Thousands of families are set to receive warnings that they could face large bills to repair their local church, even if they have never attended it, after parishes were ordered to enforce a 500-year-old land law. Because of the way land was carved after the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII, the owners of many houses sited near historic churches have a legal obligation to contribute to repairs.

People living in more than 5,000 parishes in England are subject to the historic “chancel repair liabilities”, which affect properties built on former monastic land.
Most take out a form of insurance against the liability but many so-called “lay rectors” are entirely unaware of the obligation as it is rarely enforced
The complete git in me says ‘fuck it’ – let those that use churches pay for them. Whereas the lover of historic buildings lurking somewhere says there should be a collective effort to keep them in working order. More reason to sell the dives off for private use I suppose.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote