Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #151
Lily

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Sister Lily (You don't get to be a priest), What could make you possibly think that I hadn't been reading your silly comic book already? Please pay special attention to the verb tenses...

Satan lives!

Satan does, indeed, live. Who disputes that?

Read everything again; what you quoted and what I quoted. You will then see that the victory has been won. It is a done deal. No Christian can be defeated by Satan, though he is still the author of strife, dissension, etc. in this present age. But he will not be around to trouble us in the coming Kingdom.

The rest of you have got a problem, however.

Lily-175 Studge-0
Old 03-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #152
Irreligious
I Live Here

Take a pill.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #153
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

"...he is still the author of strife, dissension, etc. in this present age."

I thought you were using the term "defeated" in some meaningful way. My bad!

Studge, however, remains undefeated vs Lily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #154
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Take a pill.
Done and done!

(Or were you talking to the Evil One?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #155
Lily

He thinks.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #156
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Therefore he is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #157
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Done and done!

(Or were you talking to the Evil One?)
Lily, of course. Though, you're both arguing over nonsense. But that is what we do here. Right? Satan lives, indeed. Yeah, who doesn't dispute that? Perhaps, the folks with any connection to objective reality who find the whole notion preposterous.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #158
Isilmë

right. who cares. no need to tear your hair out over it.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #159
Gordon

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post

Satan does, indeed, live. Who disputes that?

Read everything again; what you quoted and what I quoted. You will then see that the victory has been won. It is a done deal. No Christian can be defeated by Satan, though he is still the author of strife, dissension, etc. in this present age. But he will not be around to trouble us in the coming Kingdom.

The rest of you have got a problem, however.
Lily-175 Studge-0
Lily is right. I wish I could keep up with this post, but I can't. So all I can do is come in and try to find something to respond to. I was just writing in the blog today (check out my profile for the link) about the royal status of Christians and how we are the greatest possible form of created life in the universe, and I thought I better come in and check what's happening here.

I see Lily gets beat up on a lot, and yet she stands. Her strength seems almost supernatural, but the Catholic Church is the home of saints like Joan of Arc. I guess that's the spirit Lily has.

Am I right, Lily, you are Catholic, right? If so, I was wondering (seriously) what saint would be the patron saint of people like yourself who do battle against the forces of darkness.

I myself am not a Catholic (First Baptist, actually), but as you now, I believe in a future unification of denominations. I believe Martin Luther will be reversed and the Body of Christ will be one again. So, I respect Catholics a great deal. My sister and her kids are all Catholic. She married a Mexican man a long time ago, and converted to his religion.

Anyway, I'm babbling. Keep fighting. Your strength inspires me.

Ed
Old 03-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #160
Irreligious
I Live Here

Lily is one of a handful of theists participating in a virtual forum overwhelmingly populated by atheists and, generally, for atheists. Of course, she's going to get "beat up." It would work the same way for any of us here if we found it at all worthwhile to haunt the sites where the Christians dwell in disproportionately higher numbers. Perish the thought.

The fact that Lily "is still standing" is a testament to her stubbornness in not conceding that her constant needling, haranguing and preaching has not made one iota of difference in any of our lives. I still think her god is preposterous and I don't think much of her church or anything she has to say about it, because it ain't got nothing to do with anything in my life.

Your theology is even more less palatable and coherent than hers and I can only hope that you don't have her stamina. It would only have the effect of ramping up the vituperation, if you're into that kind of thing the way she appears to be.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Last edited by Irreligious; 03-15-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #161
Irreligious
I Live Here

That should read "even less palatable and coherent..."

I was going to say "even more batshit crazy," and then I thought: "Why goad the guy any more than I already have?" In retrospect, it probably wouldn't have made much difference qualitatively.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 03-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #162
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Gordon wrote View Post
I was just writing in the blog today (check out my profile for the link) about the royal status of Christians and how we are the greatest possible form of created life in the universe,

Christianity may not be as useless as I had thought. It's a great source of comedy.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #163
Lily

Quote:
Gordon wrote View Post
Lily is right.
Ah! How rarely I hear those blessed words!

Quote:
...we are the greatest possible form of created life in the universe
Well, humans are. After all, we were created in the image and likeness of God. Each and everyone of us. Atheists too. All our dignity; all our potential greatness is the gift of God. We were meant to be perfect and someday we will be again, if we so choose. God's love never fails towards anyone. It is not possible to escape it, not even in hell. It is only possible to refuse it.

While I feel and very often share your frustration with those who reject God, I must beg you, in the name of God, to rethink the opinions you have expressed. I fear you are treading into areas that jeopardize your immortal soul. There is not a hint of support in scripture for withdrawing charity from any one or any group. Indeed, such a thing would completely negate Christ's mission and sacrifice. Christ died for all; not just good people. I have very real reason to thank God for that! Remember how the parable of the good Samaritan starts?

Luke 10:25-28

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"

He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself."

"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

CS Lewis, who always has something useful to say, wrote an essay called "The Weight of Glory". He talks a great deal about what we are called to become and what it will mean to be perfect, as Christ is perfect or to reject that calling. Finally he says:

It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare.

All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or the other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and and the circumspection proper to them that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilization -- these are mortal and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. ... Next to the Blessed Sacrament itself, your neighbour is the holiest object presented to your senses. ...

On a practical level, Gordon, we cannot create a perfect society. We are still waiting "in joyful hope" for the one who will. For now, we have all the tools we need to protect our right to worship freely; we have the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. But even if we could be pushed to a point where we were really a persecuted minority, we have already won. It is only a matter of time, until our author rings down the curtain on this play.

Quote:
Am I right, Lily, you are Catholic, right? If so, I was wondering (seriously) what saint would be the patron saint of people like yourself who do battle against the forces of darkness.
Funny you should have mentioned Joan of Arc. She was my earliest hero. I can't have been more than 7 or so when I saw the Bergman film. To this day I still recall the scene when Joan was burned at the stake. It made a huge impression on me.

As an adult convert from Protestantism to Catholicism, it seemed right to me to choose someone whose witness is peculiarly modern. So, when it came time to choose "my" saint, though I was seriously tempted to choose Joan, I have choosen Maximillian Kolbe instead. Do you know his story? In case not, here is a brief summary--

Kolbe was a Polish priest who was sent to Auschwitz by the Nazis. They had a peculiarly brutal practice of killing 10 men for every one who tried to escape, in order to give the prisoners incentive to guard each other. Inevitably, someone disappeared and so 10 were chosen at random. One poor soul, Franciszek Gajowniczek, cried and wept that he was a married man, who would take care of his children? etc, etc. So Kolbe volunteered to take his place. He and the other 9 were taken apart locked up and left to starve to death. After 3 weeks he and 3 others were still barely alive and so the Nazis finished them off with injections of carbolic acid. It was for this extreme act of charity (love) that he was canonized by John Paul the Great. You can read much more about the whole horrible episode in Wikipedia or any of the other sources which can be found online quite easily.

But I should add one more thing, even though this has gotten so terribly long-- we all do battle against the forces of darkness. There is a very great struggle that goes on in everyone's soul. We all long for love, for justice and for peace. It is just that some of us have not found the right weapons yet.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #164
dogpet
Obsessed Member

She is a liar.
She thinks you are a Heretic.
Convert,,,,, NOW if you want to live.
You might die any minute..

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #165
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Gordon wrote
Lily is right.
We'll take your opinion on that as seriously as we take your opinions on purported supernatural creatures.

Quote:
Gordon wrote
So all I can do is come in and try to find something to respond to.
An odd thing to do at what you consider to be the most disgusting forum on the interwebs. Leading me, therefore, to the conclusion that you are a liar, and that you secretly have monumental doubts festering in the core of your precious belief system. It has been my experience that those who bleat the loudest about their mythology tend to be those with the most tenuous grasp on it.

Quote:
Gordon wrote
I was just writing in the blog today (check out my profile for the link) about the royal status of Christians and how we are the greatest possible form of created life in the universe...
Such unchecked arrogance is unbecoming, and such delightful delusion is just plain sad.

Of course, this little fantasy of yours goes straight to the heart of why people cling to religion: it gives me a feeling of belonging and uniqueness in a world where humans are nothing more, really, than the most sentient animals on the savannah.

But, being the gentleman that I am, I will entertain your proposition of royalty if you will offer me even one argument that I cannot counter in support of your claim that we as humans are a form of "created" life. Of course, I will only entertain it long enough to demonstrate that it is complete and utter bunk, but that's the best deal you're likely to get.

Quote:
I see Lily gets beat up on a lot, and yet she stands.
Like many Christers, she relishes the abuse. It feels her persecution complex, and so she seeks it out and wallows in it. Apparently, she has skin tough enough to actually endure it, which is commendable, but nothing special.

Quote:
Am I right, Lily, you are Catholic, right?
No. Their's is simply the doctrine with which she most closely aligns.

Quote:
I myself am not a Catholic (First Baptist, actually)...
Then in the opinion of the vast majority of "real Christians" (ask Lily for an explanation of what that term "really" means), you, sir, are going to Hell, where you will roast alongside me for all of perpetuity for worshipping incorrectly.

Quote:
...I believe in a future unification of denominations.
I am so delighted to tell you that this will never happen. The only way you could think it would is to ignore all of the history that demonstrates the minor doctrinal issues of which these denominations split apart in the first place. Denominations are a result of people disagreeing with each other, and the fact that the Christological cult is plagued with so many separate sects is strong evidence to the fact that it is the fictional product of men and not of divine origin.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm babbling.
That is the most honest thing you've ever said.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote