Old 06-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I found this posted on a Christian discussion board:

Quote:
Asshole Christian wrote
Boohoo. "Theocrats" scare them.

Godless secular humanists scare me. Too bad we fundamentalists are gaining ground on them.

BTW, atheism is a religion. It is faith in oneself. Mr/Ms atheist, you are too small and too stupid to be God, so sit down and shut up.
To me this epitomizes the militant nature of Christian fundamentalists. They have no interest in logic or reasoning. Theirs is the position of might = right. The more Christians there are the more secure they feel in their dogmas. I think this mentality is a throwback to primitive tribal instincts. It seems to be the same driving force behind Islamic fundamentalism – “kill everybody who doesn’t believe like us and then we will be right!”

I believe theists are really beginning to feel a squeeze by the realities of science on their worn-out positions. They can’t fight truth with untruth, so they must use rationalization, lies, or mob rule to maintain their power.

So sit down and shut up, you goddamn Atheists! Your freedom of speech will soon be at an end!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Another brick in the wall

I think it's interesting that some religions will point out that they have so many million members or they are the fastest growing religion. Reminds of commercials where every Ford dealer is the "number one" Ford dealer.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Evil_Mage_Ra

Here's the actual article that comment was referring to.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1408425/posts

Plenty of hateful comments follow.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
I am not making this up wrote
Atheism is the root of all Liberalism. People who beleive in a God would not support killing babies and supporting communists.
Quote:
Atheists say it's time to 'push back' fundamentalism
Translation: Fundamentalist atheists say it's time to persecute Christianity.
Quote:
My favorite wrote
Without God...there wouldn't be any athiest
It's gonna be a long uphill climb, folks. We must get the evil atheist conspiracy off the ground now! :)

Ten

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
whoneedscience

I see quite a few similarities between our forums, but do you think it's odd that none of their arguments seem to be more than a few lines long and lack all substance? Not to mention redundant. And how about the number of them?

It's amazing how easy it is to make attacks based on nitpicky details like an atheist using the word "hell". I know we do it all the time, but I'm not seeing any developed arguments against atheism.

I like the comment on how different Christian Fundamentalists are from Islamic ones, with no mention of the KKK, the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc. Is there some violent Atheist Fundamentalist club I should be joining?

I hate to do the same thing they were with the lacking substance, but I'm simply taken aback here. Anyone have any ideas as to what else is going through their minds? Know thine enemy, after all.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
whoneedscience wrote
I see quite a few similarities between our forums, but do you think it's odd that none of their arguments seem to be more than a few lines long and lack all substance? Not to mention redundant. And how about the number of them?

It's amazing how easy it is to make attacks based on nitpicky details like an atheist using the word "hell". I know we do it all the time, but I'm not seeing any developed arguments against atheism.

I like the comment on how different Christian Fundamentalists are from Islamic ones, with no mention of the KKK, the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc. Is there some violent Atheist Fundamentalist club I should be joining?

I hate to do the same thing they were with the lacking substance, but I'm simply taken aback here. Anyone have any ideas as to what else is going through their minds? Know thine enemy, after all.
It would appear that lack of substance is the one consistency in most of their arguments. When you cut through the self-righteousness and the bravado, there really isn’t a lot remaining. Even when you find the pseudo-intellectual Theist who is under the delusion that he/she is authoring a lengthy diatribe exposing once and for all the utter fallacy of Atheists, it is truly amazing how much of the 109 stilted pages is smoke and mirrors. I have the impression that most of these twisted individuals dwell in a fuzzy logic world where they bend reasoning to fit their superstition. They see Atheists as the enemy, not because Atheists don’t believe in their gods, but because Atheists keep pointing out the many flaws in their positions.

I don’t know that it is imperative for Atheists to wage a direct battle against these lunatics. The advancement of science is inevitable. They can slow it, but they can’t stop it. It is my belief that eventually the greater body of humanity will have to abandon theism as they were forced to abandon notions of a flat Earth. Will we live to see it? Probably not.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 06-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #7
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Ghoulslime has 200 Posts! Hurray! Three cheers for Ghoulslime! What's my prize? A new car? A new religion? A new life?
A word of encouragement? "Great job, Ghoulslime! You're not as big of an asshole as I thought!"

Old 06-07-2005, 12:54 AM   #8
Lundie

Great job, Ghoulslime! You're not as big of an asshole as I thought.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #9
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Lundie wrote
Thank you!!! My sense of self-esteem has been restored.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote
Quote:
Lundie wrote
Thank you!!! My sense of self-esteem has been restored.
That's okay, I'm sure we'll whittle it down again. :)

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
whoneedscience

Quote:
That's okay, I'm sure we'll whittle it down again. smile
Say's Tenspace, with his almost six times as many posts.

Ghoul, I just wish I shared your trust in the inevitability of science overtaking religious dogma. How is it that almost two thirds of Americans refuse to give up the ridiculous idea that humans were created by a god instead of a well-described and supported natural process? It's not like Natural Selection is a complicated or insignificant idea, yet almost no one seems to know anything about it other that what they learned to regurgitate in gradeschool or church. I just don't see any progress here, and religion is clearly a major impedement. What else is there to do but fight it, even if it only gets younger people to think about learning something?

And keep posting!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
Evil_Mage_Ra

Only two-thirds? That's actually better than I thought!

How does the number of atheists in America today compare to previous years?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #13
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
whoneedscience wrote
Quote:
That's okay, I'm sure we'll whittle it down again. smile
Say's Tenspace, with his almost six times as many posts.

Ghoul, I just wish I shared your trust in the inevitability of science overtaking religious dogma. How is it that almost two thirds of Americans refuse to give up the ridiculous idea that humans were created by a god instead of a well-described and supported natural process? It's not like Natural Selection is a complicated or insignificant idea, yet almost no one seems to know anything about it other that what they learned to regurgitate in gradeschool or church. I just don't see any progress here, and religion is clearly a major impedement. What else is there to do but fight it, even if it only gets younger people to think about learning something?

And keep posting!
Amen, here.

Sometime around 350 BC, Aristotle proved that the Earth was round. My presumption is that it was probably a theory advanced long before that time. At the time Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, the majority of Christian Europe still believed in a flat Earth. Over a thousand years and the stubborn bastards still held on to their ideas, until once and for all the truth was shoved down their throats by explorers.

My guess is it will be more difficult to win the world completely over to science. I'm sure, thousands of years from now, people will still have their dogmas. But I think, little by little, science will win. (Maybe I am just a deluded fool.)

As for fighting with Theists over truth; I just don't bother to talk to them anymore unless they have a sincere desire to learn. When young people come to me with questions of Theism, I tell them frankly my position and explain that it is for them to decide for themselves.

As for you waging war against the forces of darkness; I offer you my deepest moral support. The more whoneedsciences we have in this world, the better it will be. In the mean time, I find Theist stupidity a supreme source of entertainment. Thank all the gods for messageboards like these!