Old 05-29-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
HeWhoAsks

Quote:
The Judge wrote
I guess it just goes to show how people can sometimes think something is true without having all the facts to hand.
How can one know when one has all the facts (without assuming that you have all the facts)? If this is possible, then I'd love to know the criteria. If it is impossible, then all knowledge is tentative.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
ocmpoma

Having given this about ten seconds of thought, I would say that one usually cannot say that all the facts have been accounted for, except perhaps in cases of pure mathematics, i.e. 2 + 2 = 4, the sum of the internal angles of a traingle is 180 degress (in Euclidean geometry, of course), etc.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
ocmpoma wrote
Having given this about ten seconds of thought, I would say that one usually cannot say that all the facts have been accounted for, except perhaps in cases of pure mathematics, i.e. 2 + 2 = 4, the sum of the internal angles of a traingle is 180 degress (in Euclidean geometry, of course), etc.
This is slightly out of my depth (by 'slightly,' I mean 'way'), but didn't Gödel show there could be cracks of doubt even in pure math?

From Boyer's History of Mathematics:
'Gödel showed that within a rigidly logical system such as Russell and Whitehead had developed for arithmetic, propositions can be formulated that are undecidable or undemonstrable within the axioms of the system. That is, within the system, there exist certain clear-cut statements that can neither be proved or disproved. Hence one cannot, using the usual methods, be certain that the axioms of arithmetic will not lead to contradictions ... It appears to foredoom hope of mathematical certitude through use of the obvious methods. Perhaps doomed also, as a result, is the ideal of science - to devise a set of axioms from which all phenomena of the external world can be deduced.'

I see from Wikipedia that Gödel's first theorem is 'one of the most misunderstood,' and I'm probably proving them right. Any math people want to weigh in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
Evil_Mage_Ra

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
I see from Wikipedia that Gödel's first theorem is 'one of the most misunderstood,'
Yeah, Godel's theorem seems like one of those things where someone with a little knowledge and an agenda can seriously mis-represent what the theorem's all about. Kind of like quantum mechanics, and the corresponding "quantum flapdoodle" that results.

Not to say that I have a clue what that theorem's all about, aside from what Joe Average knows.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
ocmpoma

Basically, the theorem states that in any complex system of mathematics, there are some correct (ture) statements that cannot be proven to be correct using that system. To make it simpler - he proved that there is no complete system of mathematics. Which is something along the lines of why I specifically mentioned Euclidean geometry when talking about triangles.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
ocmpoma wrote
Basically, the theorem states that in any complex system of mathematics, there are some correct (ture) statements that cannot be proven to be correct using that system. To make it simpler - he proved that there is no complete system of mathematics. Which is something along the lines of why I specifically mentioned Euclidean geometry when talking about triangles.
Which is why math is different from logic. Logic is a complete system, math is not. I studied logic, and learned about this, but I know many physics and math geeks who still claim that math and logic are one and the same thing.

Rhinoq

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote