Old 05-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #16
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Coatsy wrote
Quote:
Metman07 wrote
Quote:
1 - Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. (I disagree.)
This is true, but it does nothing to advance his argument. We don't have evidence of tooth fairies, Santa Claus, unicorns either. It's unreasonable to believe in those things. It's the same with God.
It sounds pretty though
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but it is ample reason to ignore any possibility of the thing existing.

Must we accept as "possible" every thing that cannot be conclusively disproven? If so, then we are still correct to discount the existence of anything for which there is no evidence.

Non-belief in the existence of something is not a kind of belief in the non-existence of that thing.

Considering myself an atheist, I do NOT believe that there is no god, I simply do not believe that there is a god. It is a clear and important distinction evident in this whole thread.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:01 AM   #17
mandangi

I too had conversations with religious fundamentalists. Read this link http://mandangi.tripod.com/2fundamentalists.html
Old 06-01-2006, 07:07 AM   #18
thenormalyears

Quote:
mandangi wrote
I too had conversations with religious fundamentalists. Read this link http://mandangi.tripod.com/2fundamentalists.html
Thats good stuff.