Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #151
ranma1/2

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
ross_curfew wrote
Ok yeah, I admit defeat here. By my logic, Atheism is as much a religion as any fanatical activity.
so anything one is obssessed with is their religion, even if it has nothing to do with the supernatural? Well, that's just your definition, and that leaves room for lots of weird "religions".

Do you have any hobbies or obsessions besides jesus? If so, those are also your religions.
and of course having any other religoin before god is a sin and youll go to hell..

buwah ha ha ha ha....
Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #152
Cornholio

Well at least this thread has a degree of narrative structure, unlike most of the others on this site.
This is my first post, I live in the UK, I love Richard Dawkins, I am very afraid of the American evangelist movement (it's like a Christian Taliban in the making) and the overall intrusion of faith in to politics.
As this is my first post here's an outline of where I'm at;

1. All religion is made up and for the most part belittles the achievements of mankind

2. God and religion are not the same thing (something caused the universe to start 13.7 billion years ago, the primary definition of 'God' is creator)

3.God (if it) exists, is outside of space-time and so doesn't give a fuck what happens on our little blue planet as for ‘God’ all of the history of the universe start to finish has happened and is constantly happening, that's just plain physics(thank you Stephen Hawkins)!

Most importantly; Whether Atheism is a religion or not I believe that it is essential that around the world Atheists unite and demonstrate an educated moralistic and cohesive form that challenges religion on every front and gives the world and all future generations an intelligent option to all the bullshit of religion.

After all science, common sense and compassion added together crush every argument that any religion can come up with. That for me is what being an atheist is all about and why it’s ultimately essential for the long term survival of our civilisation.

Thank you.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #153
thenormalyears

Quote:
Cornholio wrote
Well at least this thread has a degree of narrative structure, unlike most of the others on this site.
This is my first post, I live in the UK, I love Richard Dawkins, I am very afraid of the American evangelist movement (it's like a Christian Taliban in the making) and the overall intrusion of faith in to politics.
As this is my first post here's an outline of where I'm at;

1. All religion is made up and for the most part belittles the achievements of mankind

2. God and religion are not the same thing (something caused the universe to start 13.7 billion years ago, the primary definition of 'God' is creator)

3.God (if it) exists, is outside of space-time and so doesn't give a fuck what happens on our little blue planet as for ‘God’ all of the history of the universe start to finish has happened and is constantly happening, that's just plain physics(thank you Stephen Hawkins)!

Most importantly; Whether Atheism is a religion or not I believe that it is essential that around the world Atheists unite and demonstrate an educated moralistic and cohesive form that challenges religion on every front and gives the world and all future generations an intelligent option to all the bullshit of religion.

After all science, common sense and compassion added together crush every argument that any religion can come up with. That for me is what being an atheist is all about and why it’s ultimately essential for the long term survival of our civilisation.

Thank you.
2 questions

pleasurable anal surprize?

and are you an agnostic then?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #154
Eva
Super Moderator

yup, he sounds agnostic....

hey, normal, the "pleaurable anal surprize" phrase really has stuck with you....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #155
thenormalyears

Quote:
Eva wrote
yup, he sounds agnostic....

hey, normal, the "pleaurable anal surprize" phrase really has stuck with you....
just tryin to be a gracious host