Old 02-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Main

Can anyone tell me why Atheism isnt a religion? I know its not i just dont see why it technically isnt...can any prove that is is not a religion?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
ross_curfew

It is really but shhhh they don't like to think so.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
evident_enigma

"It is really but shhhh they don't like to think so."

Prove it.
ee
Old 02-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Fiatlux

If you swim you are a swimmer.

If you do not swim, you are not any kind of swimmer at all.

You are an "aswimmer."

The same goes for religion.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Main wrote
Can anyone tell me why Atheism isnt a religion? I know its not i just dont see why it technically isnt...can any prove that is is not a religion?
to quote one of my favorites:

"If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color."

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
antix
Obsessed Member

Atheism is, quite simply, not beliving in any god or gods. Thats it. Period. Nothing else. People who insist on it being a religion are trying to read into it where there is nothing to read.

I know that isn't much by way of proof, but I feel the simplicity of it should speak for itself.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:47 AM   #7
thomas

Atheism = "I don't believe what you believe" and nothing more. In itself it's a passive stance. Of course, atheists do have philosophies and world-views based on assumptions that lead them to their conclusion. It's these philosophies and world-views that are more akin to being described as their religion.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:33 AM   #8
ross_curfew

Religion doesn't really have anything to do with God. It is more a group of people with a common belief of goal

Religion:
1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Ignoring no. 1 really which is an obvious reference to belief in God, note the last 3, particularly no. 4.
Although it may seem like a passive stance, by being on this website you are demonstrating very active devotion to your cause, which is fine and admirable. You are religious about your belief and you are part of a religion.

However, like you I would prefer not to be described as part of a religion. I am quite against organized religion but I would still say I am religious and devoted to my God.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:16 AM   #9
thomas

I just can't agree with what you're saying Ross. Firstly, religion in your definitions, and in any common sense view, is related to supernatural beings and spirituality both of which are denied by atheism. Your definition number 4 is just the dictionary being complete in it's providing all usages of a word. If I say, John is religious in his devotion to Manchester United, (which is the usage described in 4) I don't mean to say that supporting Manchester United is really a religion, just that his practices are similar to somebody who is religious.

And what's the distinction between you not wanting to be described as part of a religion and saying that you are religious ? If you say you are a Christian then you are a part of that religion aren't you ?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #10
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Wow. This has never been brought up before. Congratulations to Main, our newest theist troll, for using his vast imagination to think up a topic that nobody has ever dreamed of.

Idiot.

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #11
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
ross_curfew wrote
Religion doesn't really have anything to do with God. It is more a group of people with a common belief of goal

Religion:
1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Ignoring no. 1 really which is an obvious reference to belief in God, note the last 3, particularly no. 4.
Although it may seem like a passive stance, by being on this website you are demonstrating very active devotion to your cause, which is fine and admirable. You are religious about your belief and you are part of a religion.

However, like you I would prefer not to be described as part of a religion. I am quite against organized religion but I would still say I am religious and devoted to my God.
It's not a religion, numbers 2 to 4 rely on point 1.

'Religion' requires a supernatural force that you believe in and revere.

Athiesm is not a religion.

Collecting classic cars is not a religion.

Being totally into Batman is not a religion.

Evolution is not a religion.

Science is not a religion.

You can be fanatical about any of these things, but they're not religions.

What's up with theists insisting atheism is a religion? Are you cognizantly aware that your own beliefs are based on unproven dogma and it makes you feel better to think that others are as well? Are you afraid that atheists 'get it' and there is , in fact, no god? I would THINK that theists would bend over backwards to point out that atheism is NOT a religion if they believed god was so great.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #12
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote
Wow. This has never been brought up before. Congratulations to Main, our newest theist troll, for using his vast imagination to think up a topic that nobody has ever dreamed of.

Idiot.
Thats all fine and dandy, except that Main is not a theist.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #13
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Mog wrote
Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote

Idiot.
Thats all fine and dandy, except that Main is not a theist.
Hmm. . .it seems you're right. I thought he presented him/herself as one in another thread he/she had started, but upon re-reading it, it is obvious I misinterpreted.

I apologize for being a dick and retract my previous statement(s).

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #14
ross_curfew

Ok yeah, I admit defeat here. By my logic, Atheism is as much a religion as any fanatical activity.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
Ponderer

Quote:
ross_curfew wrote
Ok yeah, I admit defeat here. By my logic, Atheism is as much a religion as any fanatical activity.
Ross,
Think about this. Is Theism a religion? No. Not all theists are part of a religion.

Therefore. . .