Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
zdave
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 251
Homicde Analogy

I've been using this analogy in my discussions recently. Please see if it's a sound analogy.


Our story starts with a death. A man is dead in the middle of a high class apartment. He lays on his back, with a gun shot wound under the chin, and an exit would near the top of his head. A gun rests in his hand.

Two homicide detectives enter the scene, an Atheistic Detective (AD) and a Theistic Detective (TD). It is their job to determine what happened.

AD examines the scene, walks around the body and views it from many angles. He examines the caliber of bullet used in the shooting to see if it matches the gun in the victims hand. He will also send the gun away to examine it for finger prints. After doing all of these things he starts to get a picture of what happened in the apartment.

TD examines the scene and declares it a suicide. After this he points to the gun in the man's hand, the position of the entrance wound and insists once again that it's a suicide.

This is where we are in the debate against/for God. The Atheist is trying to see how it happened, where the Theist is trying to see how God did it.
zdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member
 
anthonyjfuchs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,765
TD would rule the death a homicide on the car-ride over.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
West491
Obsessed Member
 
West491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Land, not water
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
anthonyjfuchs wrote View Post
TD would rule the death a homicide on the car-ride over.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Erik
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 644
Quote:
anthonyjfuchs wrote View Post
TD would rule the death a homicide on the car-ride over.
TD rules that it is neither suicide nor homicide because no one was there to witness the actual events.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Sternwallow
I Live Here
 
Sternwallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 23,211
Quote:
zdave wrote View Post
I've been using this analogy in my discussions recently. Please see if it's a sound analogy.


Our story starts with a death. A man is dead in the middle of a high class apartment. He lays on his back, with a gun shot wound under the chin, and an exit would near the top of his head. A gun rests in his hand.

Two homicide detectives enter the scene, an Atheistic Detective (AD) and a Theistic Detective (TD). It is their job to determine what happened.

AD examines the scene, walks around the body and views it from many angles. He examines the caliber of bullet used in the shooting to see if it matches the gun in the victims hand. He will also send the gun away to examine it for finger prints. After doing all of these things he starts to get a picture of what happened in the apartment.

TD examines the scene and declares it a suicide. After this he points to the gun in the man's hand, the position of the entrance wound and insists once again that it's a suicide.

This is where we are in the debate against/for God. The Atheist is trying to see how it happened, where the Theist is trying to see how God did it.
I think this analogy would be more accurate if the TD stayed at the station and read in an antique book that a mysterious and powerful assailant stabbed the victim with a broadsword and that a gun, not being mentioned in the book was just a symptom of evil materialist thinking.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
zdave
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 251
Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
I think this analogy would be more accurate if the TD stayed at the station and read in an antique book that a mysterious and powerful assailant stabbed the victim with a broadsword and that a gun, not being mentioned in the book was just a symptom of evil materialist thinking.
There are a great deal of Christians out there who study their craft carefully trying to make a 'truth' out of it. Albeit their premise is entirely flawed, sure... but in terms of commitment to a broken cause they get an A+

I depicted TD after one of these guys as I actually have respect for them.
zdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
mcpancake
New Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
I think it would more accurate if the TD takes the gun and shoots the victim some more because he thought he was gay, then shot the AD because he thought the AD was possessed by Satan.
mcpancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Jimble
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 368
Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
I think this analogy would be more accurate if the TD stayed at the station and read in an antique book that a mysterious and powerful assailant stabbed the victim with a broadsword and that a gun, not being mentioned in the book was just a symptom of evil materialist thinking.
you got there before me.
I would have said that the AD says it's probably a suicide, let's continue investigating, whereas the TD says the victim was definately trampled to death by a Falmaginjorian, nevermind no-one has heard of one except me and this book I have, case closed!

You don't have the right not to be offended.
Jimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Sternwallow
I Live Here
 
Sternwallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 23,211
Oh, dear, is it Falmaginjorian season already? Quick, someone call pest control!

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
ghoulslime
I Live Here
 
ghoulslime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 20,923
Quote:
zdave wrote View Post
I've been using this analogy in my discussions recently. Please see if it's a sound analogy.


Our story starts with a death. A man is dead in the middle of a high class apartment. He lays on his back, with a gun shot wound under the chin, and an exit would near the top of his head. A gun rests in his hand.

Two homicide detectives enter the scene, an Atheistic Detective (AD) and a Theistic Detective (TD). It is their job to determine what happened.

AD examines the scene, walks around the body and views it from many angles. He examines the caliber of bullet used in the shooting to see if it matches the gun in the victims hand. He will also send the gun away to examine it for finger prints. After doing all of these things he starts to get a picture of what happened in the apartment.

TD examines the scene and declares it a suicide. After this he points to the gun in the man's hand, the position of the entrance wound and insists once again that it's a suicide.

This is where we are in the debate against/for God. The Atheist is trying to see how it happened, where the Theist is trying to see how God did it.
Could you give us a little more detail about the body please? Is there any evidence of seminal ejaculation around the mouth, forced anal entry, or any other sign of recent interaction with a priest?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2000 - , Raving Atheists [dot] com frequency-supranational frequency-supranational