Obsessed Member

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #212
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Clifton wrote View Post
Don't worry, with a little hard work you could do the same.
Channel Marked Rear much?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #213
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Clifton wrote View Post
We know gravity is real based on observation and experience (empirical evidence) yet we don't have a conclusive theory.
We have conclusive evidence. This thing you're doing right now is a dishonest argument tactic known as the bait and switch: You act like you're talking about the same thing, but changed the thing from "conclusive evidence" to "a conclusive theory." You're a dishonest piece of shit.

Quote:
Clifton wrote
Nobody is suggesting that we can't take the good, healthy parts associated with religion and use them in a more secular tone, but first we must admit that these things are at least good.
No one is saying that some of the actions aren't good, what I'm saying is that the people would still do them without religion, you incredible fuckwit.

Quote:
Clifton wrote
Just because an Atheist can be charitable as well does not cancel out the FACT that a religion can draw large groups into acts of charity.
Just because people who are religious do a good thing doesn't cancel out the FACT that people would do good things without religion. Are you really this stupid? This level of idiocy must be a joke or at least a troll.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #214
Clifton

I never claimed anything about "conclusive evidence"
I never claimed people wouldn't do good things without religion.

I'm not the one fabricating this nonsense, you are. You are arguing against your own false accusations.

If you admit that the actions are good how can you say it's not good for some people?

My only claim (more of an opinion based on my reading)

Btw- I've been looking into several studies on religion a psychosocial health. To your credit I'm finding that there's just as many studies that come up with opposite or even damaging results.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #215
Clifton

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
I'm on it. Mosque first thing tomorrow

I thought you were an Athiest? I don't think it would benefit us much.

Why would you call me a pseudo Christian ?

I went to one fucking funeral and keep my mouth shut for the sake of family peace. I enjoyed the food and music and can only see the benefits for people who are perhaps "wired differently", if that is indeed the case.

Out of the many different religions I find Christianity the most distasteful. This is probably because its the most popular and hence, most dangerous. Oh, and the story is utterly ridiculous.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #216
Clifton

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Channel Marked Rear much?
I have no idea what this means, but fuck you too!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #217
Clifton

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
We have conclusive evidence. This thing you're doing right now is a dishonest argument tactic known as the bait and switch: You act like you're talking about the same thing, but changed the thing from "conclusive evidence" to "a conclusive theory." You're a dishonest piece of shit.

No one is saying that some of the actions aren't good, what I'm saying is that the people would still do them without religion, you incredible fuckwit.

Just because people who are religious do a good thing doesn't cancel out the FACT that people would do good things without religion. Are you really this stupid? This level of idiocy must be a joke or at least a troll.
After reading this a second time it really hit me. I just sprayed my boxed White Zinfandel out and broke into hysterics.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #218
clambake
shred

Just thought I'd pop in and say that I've been voicing Davin's posts in my head as if it was Wesley/Dread Pirate Roberts, and it's fucking awesome. Oddly I can't voice Clifton as Vizzini, because I like Shawn Wallace too much.

edited for missing "if"

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #219
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Clifton, I go to churches for weddings and funerals. Guess what? I don't foam at the mouth either or start preaching the non Gospel. I don't condone, however, the 35 minutes of God talk about the dearly departed etc. Religion is a controlling tool. That is all. I agree with control in certain areas, I just prefer it to be based on reality. It is dangerous to allow it to be controlled by those who are relying on non existent entities to gain their strength. How many Pedo Priests would have been relying on God to judge them as they buggered their way through their flock?

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #220
Clifton

ILOVEJESUS, I'm right there with you. A close friend died a few months back. The service was excellent until this preacher showed up and started going off about Jebus. It filled me with disgust. I do understand religion as a controlling mechanism, one of the best.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #221
dogpet
Obsessed Member

You know, there's a bit in the babble that says good deeds mean as much to the sky monster as a bloody jam rag, & all that matters is accepting it's grace. Which is kinda what the crazy guy on the other active thread is on about, except the idiot confuses it with dinner prayers.

Anyway, what it means is how you behave is inconsequential, so cristains & present enablers need to either exclude it from the discussion like the used sanitary towel it is, or only give credit to the religious for being decent despite their instructions.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #222
Clifton

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
You know, there's a bit in the babble that says good deeds mean as much to the sky monster as a bloody jam rag, & all that matters is accepting it's grace. Which is kinda what the crazy guy on the other active thread is on about, except the idiot confuses it with dinner prayers.

Anyway, what it means is how you behave is inconsequential, so cristains & present enablers need to either exclude it from the discussion like the used sanitary towel it is, or only give credit to the religious for being decent despite their instructions.
Inconsequential to who, a crazy guy?

Sounds like the works vs personnel relationship argument. Born Again vs Catholic I think.

Argue pro-works, pro catholic....it will drive him nuts.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #223
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Clifton wrote View Post
ILOVEJESUS, I'm right there with you. A close friend died a few months back. The service was excellent until this preacher showed up and started going off about Jebus. It filled me with disgust. I do understand religion as a controlling mechanism, one of the best.
Then you must be able to understand why myself and most here have no time to attribute anything but scorn to it and its "achievements".

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #224
Clifton

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Then you must be able to understand why myself and most here have no time to attribute anything but scorn to it and its "achievements".
Believe me, I do. This was not an attempt to champion religion.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #225
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Clifton wrote View Post
After reading this a second time it really hit me. I just sprayed my boxed White Zinfandel out and broke into hysterics.
It's a good sign when you can laugh at how stupid you've been.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote