Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
psychodiva
I Live Here

Religion-only education

this is shit

Quote:
“The Government keeps telling us that parental choice is all important and that religious schools will only be established where that is the will of the local community. This plan shows how dishonest those promises are. The Church must be rubbing its hands with glee at the prospect of having a complete monopoly of education in the area – something I am sure it would like to have nationally. And the way things are going, the Government seems happy to help them on their way to achieving that ambition.”

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Sternwallow
I Live Here

I also dispute State's Rights in the matter of education. We are a mobile society and we cross state boundaries all the time. It is not rational for there to be differing education about math, science, civics in Alabama than in Alaska. Had creationism taken hold in Kansas, that state would have been a laughingstock in the rest of the nation.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Coach

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
I also dispute State's Rights in the matter of education. We are a mobile society and we cross state boundaries all the time. It is not rational for there to be differing education about math, science, civics in Alabama than in Alaska. Had creationism taken hold in Kansas, that state would have been a laughingstock in the rest of the nation.
a localized education system is exactly what the right wing jesus freaks want...it would limit the childrens exposure to realist ideology and prevent their fragile little minds from straying away from the holy horse shit the parental units want to fill them with. scarey shit
Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
dogpet
Obsessed Member

That is outrageous, & an insult to anyone who has witnessed first hand the horrors caused by sectarian education.
It might not affect sleepy Dorset much, & after all it's only the good old cofe, but in other parts of the UK it is directly responsible for violent bigotry & the partitioning of communities.
Get religion out of education Now!

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
VonCullen

Quote:
Coach wrote View Post
a localized education system is exactly what the right wing jesus freaks want...it would limit the childrens exposure to realist ideology and prevent their fragile little minds from straying away from the holy horse shit the parental units want to fill them with. scarey shit

First, what exactly is "realistic ideology"?

Second, while I dont want religious beliefs taught in schools (though not for the same reasons as you, Im sure) I do think its fair to at least allow a balance of religion and science. I think religion should be taught from a historical or philosophical perspective as opposed to a scientific one. Of course If many leftists have it their way, we'll only teach what they view as the only bit of religious history, i.e. only those parts that paint religions in a negative light such as the crusades, or the spanish inquisitions etc....Nevermind the fact that throughout history many more have died at the hands of atheists than ANY religious group.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
ubs
I Live Here

The article doesn't say how this came to pass. How awful.

I guess there will be a real estate buying opportunity in Dorset.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
VonCullen

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
That is outrageous, & an insult to anyone who has witnessed first hand the horrors caused by sectarian education.
It might not affect sleepy Dorset much, & after all it's only the good old cofe, but in other parts of the UK it is directly responsible for violent bigotry & the partitioning of communities.
Get religion out of education Now!

We'll get religion out as soon as they quit teaching sex ed to kindergarten classes, or quit teaching the art of fisting to junior high schoolers.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Coach

Quote:
VonCullen wrote View Post

Second, while I dont want religious beliefs taught in schools (though not for the same reasons as you, Im sure) I do think its fair to at least allow a balance of religion and science. I think religion should be taught from a historical or philosophical perspective as opposed to a scientific one. Of course If many leftists have it their way, we'll only teach what they view as the only bit of religious history, i.e. only those parts that paint religions in a negative light such as the crusades, or the spanish inquisitions etc....Nevermind the fact that throughout history many more have died at the hands of atheists than ANY religious group.
first "realistic ideology" this should help..
i·de·ol·o·gy (ī'dē-ŏl'ə-jē, ĭd'ē-) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. i·de·ol·o·gies
  1. The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.
  2. A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.
surely you didn't think fairy tales and magical deities were the only ideology to be referenced...that would be silly.

secondly, as i did for you...what is "historical religion" other than an older lie? lies old or new don't belong in a school system.

as far as only teaching history that paints religion in a negative light....wow. is there any other light? can you name any good outcomes of religion?

more people have died at the hands of atheists than any other group???? i'm sure you have some facts to back this up...or were you just firing from the hip?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
We'll get religion out as soon as they quit teaching sex ed to kindergarten classes, or quit teaching the art of fisting to junior high schoolers.
Who's we & they?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
Coach

Quote:
i agree...that kind of education is best left in the hands of priests cultist sect leaders

or maybe it can just be a big secret...if we don't say anything, ALLLLLL teenage pregnancy will go away and god will be pleased
Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:

proof needed

Old 01-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Coach

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
proof needed
proof already requested....don't hold your breath
Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:

please give reasons for your foolish statement - for a start - Dorset is in England- what exactly do you know about the english education system?

for another- where the fuck do they teach fisting to 'junior high schoolers'

and lastly- what is wrong with teaching playschool age children about relationships, staying safe, and the basics of biological reproduction?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
VonCullen

Quote:
Coach wrote View Post
first "realistic ideology" this should help..
i·de·ol·o·gy (ī'dē-ŏl'ə-jē, ĭd'ē-) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. i·de·ol·o·gies
  1. The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.
  2. A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.
surely you didn't think fairy tales and magical deities were the only ideology to be referenced...that would be silly.

secondly, as i did for you...what is "historical religion" other than an older lie? lies old or new don't belong in a school system.

as far as only teaching history that paints religion in a negative light....wow. is there any other light? can you name any good outcomes of religion?

more people have died at the hands of atheists than any other group???? i'm sure you have some facts to back this up...or were you just firing from the hip?
By historical religion, I mean the history of how various religions came into existence, the protestant reformation, the role religion has played throughout history etc...

And yes, religion has done tons of good throughout history. And Stalin and Mao killed millions upon millions more than any religious group. Theres plenty of historical data to back this up.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
Coach

Quote:
By historical religion, I mean the history of how various religions came into existence, the protestant reformation, the role religion has played throughout history etc...

And yes, religion has done tons of good throughout history. And Stalin and Mao killed millions upon millions more than any religious group. Theres plenty of historical data to back this up.
so you're all for teaching religion as lies and retelling of lies...super. I couldn't agree more.

hitler was religious, so is osama bin laden, as well as those cute little crusaders. I figured you had numbers and actual fact to back that ridiculous little statement up. not just a few hollow names. do you need more time to gather sufficient data?