Old 07-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #241
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
"It's penguin-turtle-frogs all the way down..."

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #242
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
thomastwo wrote View Post
Thanks for a clear answer. I think you are saying that you view humans to be systematic devices that blindly go through a set of responses to stimulation from their environment. And that one of the side-effects of that system is an impression of choice and self-determination.
Add that each response changes us and so changes the condition on responses that follow. We learn from the consequences of our acts just as a computer chip can learn your favorite restaurants and TV shows.

This is what keeps the next situation we encounter from being exactly the same as this one so we may not behave the same way twice. This does make us, I admit, a little less fixed and mechanical than a wind-up toy.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #243
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
To my mind the perceptions and desires of the moment are part of the self, and part of the self-determination.
They are parts of the self that are determined and so are not free choices.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #244
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Could we add to your list of hard-wired functions to choose actions from a range of potential actions? I think that's what I mean when I say I am self-determined.
One could add an automatic volume control (AVC) to a radio receiver so that it could choose settings from a range of possibilities to achieve a goal. In the process, the radio could not have opted out of the upgrade nor can it choose settings different from those determined by the new circuit.
Quote:
Another way to ask the question would be "If I don't determine my actions, what does?"
Again the answer is simple:I, being determined by my make-up and experiences, am constrained in determining my actions. The choice of actions is mine but the choice is not free.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #245
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Define "I".

Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #246
Sol

Quote:
Gnosital wrote View Post
Do I detect another physiological psychologist perchance???
Biology, with special interest in biological psychology.
Can I assume you are a fizzy cyclist ?

Professor Plum - In the Dinning Room - with the Lead Pipe...
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #247
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Are you saying that your choice to be an atheist was not a conscious choice? Or at least that what appeared to be a conscious choice was pre-determined by the evaluation of your unconscious mind?
I didn't make any choices. Alterations to the default mean you are a victim of circumstance.
You are what you meet. //ching ching!//

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #248
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
I don't quite see how that example is independent of external influence, but never mind. Imagine a driver pulling into a wide open parking lot and parking wherever, since any one space is as good another. If that's true, how can his parking be said to be a "choice" at all ? Put another way, if you wish to remove external influences, even hypothetically, I think you've removed even the illusion of free will, since it doesn't involving "choosing" at all.

Do it?
It's relatively free of external influence in the sense that those influences don't make a major difference to the selection for any one individual.

It's a choice because there are multiple contingent futures prior to the action. And the choice is determined by the individual involved.

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
ADDING: Re "I don't see a material difference between reacting and determining." -- me neither.
Right, the reaction of an individual is, as you defined it, making a wilful choice.
thomastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #249
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post

Again the answer is simple:I, being determined by my make-up and experiences, am constrained in determining my actions. The choice of actions is mine but the choice is not free.
Are you trying to say that in some sense your make-up and experiences are not part of you?

I'm anyway not arguing that choices are free of any external constraints. Only that they are not completely bound by those constraints.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #250
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
I didn't make any choices. Alterations to the default mean you are a victim of circumstance.
You are what you meet. //ching ching!//
Can I choose what I meet?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #251
ubs
I Live Here

Thomastwo, do you also object to the idea that an amoeba is responding to it's environment? How about guppies? How about dogs?

In other words, at what level of complexity does life have fee will?

If I force psychotropic drugs on you, are you operating under free will?
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #252
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Can I choose what I meet?
What made you ask that?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #253
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
It's a choice because there are multiple contingent futures prior to the action.
You have a choice between eating a red pill and a blue pill. Your defacto preference is the blue pill (it's your favorite colour, or something); however, under the condition that you happen to remember a blue spider you once saw, you are so disgusted that will choose the red pill. Now, without your knowledge, I have implanted a bio-mechanical thingy that will force you to eat the blue pill, but I will only activate it if I detect the spider memory. The spider memory does not arise, and you eat the blue pill without me activating the device.

Was it a free choice?

Quote:
t2 wrote
And the choice is determined by the individual involved.
Couldn't a determinist just as easily say that the inter-individual variance in choice outcomes simply be the result of the state variance among the individuals, such that exposing the exact same individual to the exact same inputs would produce the exact same outputs?

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #254
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
It's relatively free of external influence in the sense that those influences don't make a major difference to the selection for any one individual.

It's a choice because there are multiple contingent futures prior to the action. And the choice is determined by the individual involved.

Right, the reaction of an individual is, as you defined it, making a wilful choice.
That might be so except that the "person" making the "choice" is in a state that determines the choice and the state itself was predetermined.

Put another way, an individual who seems to make a choice based almost entirely on their state of mind at the time has no free will if it is a computer. To have free will, then requires an ability to act contrary to what would otherwise be determined. Such an ability would have to be in-place and operating at the time of the maverick decision and it would, by deflecting the decision away from the expected, determine (control) the act.

Here is a scenario: you are offered tea or coffee and you choose coffee because your experiences have conditioned you to prefer coffee. If I offered you tea or coffee, you might choose to counter my expectation and choose tea. This desire was necessarily stronger than your ordinary preference and it controlled or determined your choice of tea.

My assertion is that any mechanism to be used to deviate from a predetermined outcome would, itself, be a determining element and therefore would be self-defeating. All that is needed to refute my assertion is to identify a process that operates both non-causally and under personal intention. Flipping a coin to make a decision is not exercising free will because the choice in that case is not intentional, it is not your choice.

The Coyote is running full speed down the road. It forks ahead, bending to the left in the open and to the right through a tunnel in the rock wall on that side. For a variety of deterministic reasons, he takes the left fork having no idea that the tunnel was only painted on the wall and he really had no choice at all. Such is the illusion of choice in this free choice free world.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #255
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Are you trying to say that in some sense your make-up and experiences are not part of you?
No, I am saying that all parts of you (your decision making faculties specifically) are, at each moment, products of prior events, none of which were formed by free will. I yam what I yam and no part of me has been shown to be both acausal and intentional.
Quote:
I'm anyway not arguing that choices are free of any external constraints. Only that they are not completely bound by those constraints.
Choices are determined by both external and internal constraints. What behavior can you identify that is purely intentional and is neither causal nor random?