Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #286
Whisper

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote View Post
Look at you guys go!! I really feel sorry for you.
I take it selliedjoup's another theist I wasn't here for the arrival of?

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
I always find this to be such a strange question. Since God is not a well-defined alleged entity, who is to say what it would be if it were real?

If it is supposed to be a sentient entity, from where would that sentience emanate if the thing has the capacity to think, create and express emotions? Wouldn't it have to be an entity with a physical form that may include a head, torso, limbs, hands, feet and genitalia?

But what would it look like? Any random white man you might encounter on the street? Some other kind of animated, talking mammal that does parlor tricks?

How on Earth would people recognize something that's not clearly defined and that they've never seen before?

Without getting all goofy, could you tell us what it is we're supposed to be looking for as proof that a God exists?
Also, this. If it hadn't been 3am when I typed up my response, I'd have remembered to mention this, as well. Ugh.

His response was crap anyway.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #287
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Whisper wrote View Post
I take it selliedjoup's another theist I wasn't here for the arrival of?
He's the poster formerly known as Jerry74. He's a demonstrated malcontent and an arrogant asshole who is incapable of minding of his own damned business. That's probably because he doesn't have any business of his own to mind.

Jerry has been told numerous times that if he doesn't like what we're doing here, all he need do is to just fuck off to some place else on the World Wide Web where he can do his thing, whatever that would be. The problem for him is, he just can't do it.

As for his position, vis a vis alleged gods and the supernatural, Jerry claims to be agnostic. Apparently, to him, that means holding open the possibility that a God might exist, even if one can't define what the hell a God might be or legitmately assert one concrete thing about this allegation.

It bugs him that we just won't let Christians-- who wander in here completely of their own accord-- believe what they want to believe. Ha! As if we had the power to persuade them that they're merely idle speculators with regard to the unknowable.

Jerry thinks he is superior because he would not stoop so low as to argue with Christians, with whom he claims to have little contact in the nonvirtual world, anyway. He claims to have an enviable ignorance as to what they believe and how that manifests itself in the world outside of this forum. Christians simply don't bother him. Instead, Jerry insists, he's hounded, day and night, by hordes of ravenous atheists who are constantly seeking to force their vile atheism on him in his real (obviously pathetic) life.

In short, he's a confused, angry, fucked up little twat.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #288
colpat

Even Blind Squirrels find a few acorns.

Greetings;
Demigod79 wrote:
Quote:
Basically, if you show yourself ignorant about things that non-believers know very well then why would they trust you when you talk about spiritual matters? You've stated that you do not believe humans evolved from simpler lifeforms and also that humans were created out of dirt by God. Such statements betray a fundamental ignorance on your part, which then taints your entire argument - basically, it prevents us from taking anything you say seriously.
I understand you have a strong belief that evolution from simpler lifeforms is a scientific fact. I don't believe it is a scientific fact. Therefore: I see it would be hard to take me seriously.
Quote:
How seriously would you take someone who believes the moon is made out of cheese?
I would take them seriously, but validate. Even a blind squirrel finds a few acorns.
colpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #289
Irreligious
I Live Here

But evolution remains a scientific fact, whether or not you choose to believe it, colpat. It's demonstrated fact and it's not really an issue that up for debate by those who are not grounded in the study of the science.

And I would not take anyone seriously who asserted that the moon was made cheese, because we know it's not. Human beings (astronauts and scientists) have been to moon and, over 40 years ago, brought samples of the terrain back to this planet.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 08-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #290
colpat

The single voice is perfect and consistent

Greetings;
Irreligious wrote:
Quote:
Hmm. A single voice interpreted roughly 38,000 different ways, at last count. That sounds to be far from consistent, let alone perfect.
The single voice is perfect and consistent. The interpretations are many and inconsistent.

Last edited by colpat; 08-01-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: correct a quote
colpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #291
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Greetings;
Irreligious wrote:The single voice is perfect and consistent. The interpretations are many and inconsistent.
If the single voice cannot be understood perfectly and consistently by all then, for human purposes, it is neither perfect nor consistent.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #292
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I'll go for perfect, consistent bullshit.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #293
Eternal
Thank God Iím an atheist

Regarding the evolution bit, that's where I thought the ID lot came from, the fact that evolution, even to a theist in science is undeniable, so let's now move the goal posts and say thie creator created evolution.

Still complete bullshit, but one step closer to reality I suppose.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #294
Whisper

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
He's the poster formerly known as Jerry74. He's a demonstrated malcontent and an arrogant asshole who is incapable of minding of his own damned business. That's probably because he doesn't have any business of his own to mind.

Jerry has been told numerous times that if he doesn't like what we're doing here, all he need do is to just fuck off to some place else on the World Wide Web where he can do his thing, whatever that would be. The problem for him is, he just can't do it.

As for his position, vis a vis alleged gods and the supernatural, Jerry claims to be agnostic. Apparently, to him, that means holding open the possibility that a God might exist, even if one can't define what the hell a God might be or legitmately assert one concrete thing about this allegation.

It bugs him that we just won't let Christians-- who wander in here completely of their own accord-- believe what they want to believe. Ha! As if we had the power to persuade them that they're merely idle speculators with regard to the unknowable.

Jerry thinks he is superior because he would not stoop so low as to argue with Christians, with whom he claims to have little contact in the nonvirtual world, anyway. He claims to have an enviable ignorance as to what they believe and how that manifests itself in the world outside of this forum. Christians simply don't bother him. Instead, Jerry insists, he's hounded, day and night, by hordes of ravenous atheists who are constantly seeking to force their vile atheism on him in his real (obviously pathetic) life.

In short, he's a confused, angry, fucked up little twat.
Ah! Well, that explains that - and I remember when he was Jerry74, actually.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #295
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote View Post
Look at you guys go!! I really feel sorry for you.

Poor Sellied Jerry! Nobody wants to fuck his ass any more.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #296
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Demigod79 wrote:I understand you have a strong belief that evolution from simpler lifeforms is a scientific fact. I don't believe it is a scientific fact.
How about gravity and the rotation of the Earth around the Sun? Do you believe these? What anybody "believes" is irrelevant, you kooky old coot!

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Therefore: I see it would be hard to take me seriously.
Nah?!! A guy who thinks the world is a few thousand years old, that an invisible man in the sky made the first two humans out of mud, and that a supreme being communicates through him to tell itinerant Cubans to eat magical bananas?

Why would anyone not take you seriously?

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Even a blind squirrel finds a few acorns.
You are nuts enough for all of the squirrels reading this self-destructive thread.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #297
Demigod79

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Greetings;
Demigod79 wrote:I understand you have a strong belief that evolution from simpler lifeforms is a scientific fact. I don't believe it is a scientific fact. Therefore: I see it would be hard to take me seriously.
I do not decide matters of scientific fact, and neither do you. Only scientists can do that and the overwhelming majority of them state that evolution is a fact. What you are doing it's refusing to acknowledge the well-established fact of evolution. Again, when someone shows an astonishing level of ignorance (and in your case, willful ignorance) then it's hard to take anything they say seriously.

Religion - it gives people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
Demigod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #298
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

On a mere technicality, evolution is a scientific theory which explains thousands of observed facts.
When explanations become almost universally accepted, they are labeled by the layman as fact.

.... but colpat is still a retarded dipshit and totally wrong.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #299
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #300
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Greetings Davin:
Thanks. I can tell you are a great communicator. That sorry excuse for a sentence
hindered communication in any setting. The use of color was particularly effective. That takes time and I appreciate it.
The sentence as it was, was formulated just fine, the point I was trying to explain was that you didn't seem to be getting the concept of the neutral position by assuming that one either accepts or denies something.

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Greetings Whisper;
What would you accept as proof of God?
What have you got? I don't know what exactly I'd take as evidence but I know the kinds of things I take as evidence: demonstrable, verifiable and testable.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Last edited by Davin; 08-01-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote