Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
The Judge
Obsessed Member

http://space.newscientist.com/articl...to-dazzle.html

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
antix
Obsessed Member

I just read about this. And the good news is I don't have to get up early, so I can get some snacks and perhaps a brew or two, stay up and watch. WOOT!

That is, assuming that the Lawd doesn't send a bunch of clouds my way.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
ubs
I Live Here

I'm jazzed. I'm waiting to see this. I just went outside and its clear...no marine layer! God must want me to see it!

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:49 AM   #4
bokonon

A little bright in my back yard -- saw a couple, but nothing spectacular. Maybe tomorrow night.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 AM   #5
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I had a slight blurring problem, related to Weetwood Oast-House Gold - perhaps I'll also do better tonight.
Mars should be visible in the east - as a "red smudge" - must be worth a look.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
ubs
I Live Here

I have more light pollution than I realized, but I did see quite a few. They seemed to be all over and not located around any constellation. Most of them were very quick, but there was one really spectacularly long one that made it all worth while.

Thanks Judge. I never would have known.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Tenspace
I Live Here

I stayed out all night for the meteor shower, ended up driving about sixty miles to get clear of the cloud cover. Saw a few, nothing more than a couple every fifteen minutes, and they didn't seem to come from any one direction.

Now, let me ask, fellow atheists... would you soften your position on atheism so you could get to know her better? By "her", I mean:

There we were, kicked back on a blanket in the middle of a dirt road waay out in the boonies, watching the meteor shower. She brought up the evolution/creation controversy, saying that if evolution was true, then God didn't create man... I (cringe) said, "well, maybe God kickstarted life on Earth, and used evolution to produce what we see today."

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
There we were, kicked back on a blanket in the middle of a dirt road waay out in the boonies, watching the meteor shower. She brought up the evolution/creation controversy, saying that if evolution was true, then God didn't create man... I (cringe) said, "well, maybe God kickstarted life on Earth, and used evolution to produce what we see today."
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:thumbsup:

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
Method21

Yeah, I took my dob out last night... it was awsome! Didn't get any pics :( but it was one helluva show!
I'm pretty lucky to live right by Lake Michigan,(no light pollution over the lake) and even luckier to have the meteors go right over it!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #10
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Method21 wrote
Yeah, I took my dob out last night...
It seems like it would be hard to follow something moving that fast through a telescope. Were you able to see more of the meteor with it?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
Method21

I have a wide-angle eyepiece that shows a lot of sky. But, when it all comes down to it, the naked eye is best for viewing meteors.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Now, let me ask, fellow atheists... would you soften your position on atheism so you could get to know her better?
That's about the only thing that would soften.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

AHHHH..a Sign from the heavens is approaching. I'll done my Toga virilis and enjoy a moment of Divus-Iulius psychosis tonight, while watching these falling errand spirit manifestations. I'll do my prayers at each revelation. After an hour of enjoying the dopamine producing psychosis . I'll return to my mentally healthy, aka atheist, self....:)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
myst7426

Tenspace, go for it. Other people are more important than your rejection of god. I have atheists friends and we never talk about atheism. I am friends with them not because of atheism, but because they are cool people.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
Livingstrong

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Now, let me ask, fellow atheists... would you soften your position on atheism so you could get to know her better?
That's about the only thing that would soften.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ahhh, you little devil....you made me laugh very.....hard.