Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #16
JP

Quote:
JP, why are you trying to mis-represent my take on this issue?
Apologies, I was actually trying to be funny.

I do not think you advocate the beating of anyone, let alone minorities. In my opinion, what he says does much harm, but I don't think you can make it illegal. What the preacher stands for, and what he peddles to his sheep is hatred. The sheep will leave the church and go out and treat gays like they were a cancer on society.

This is why religion needs to die, and all the preacherscum and pagentry that goes with it.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #17
StillSurviving

Quote:
JP wrote
Quote:
JP, why are you trying to mis-represent my take on this issue?
Apologies, I was actually trying to be funny.
Oh, Ok. No hard feelings. I thought it was sarcasm about my post, not sarcasm in general. Sorry I misinterpreted that.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #18
Nicole

Quote:
JP wrote
I do not think you advocate the beating of anyone, let alone minorities. In my opinion, what he says does much harm, but I don't think you can make it illegal. What the preacher stands for, and what he peddles to his sheep is hatred. The sheep will leave the church and go out and treat gays like they were a cancer on society.

This is why religion needs to die, and all the preacherscum and pagentry that goes with it.
I disagree. If you take away the rights of people to say 'gays are a cancer on the face of society' then you take away our rights to say what we want as well. We, unfortunately, have to take the good with the bad or we get nothing. I beleive that's one of the things that makes us better than these ultra-religious groups that advocate censorship.

My first reaction to this story was the same as yours until I started to think about the reasons behind freedom of speech.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #19
JP

Quote:
Nicole:I disagree. If you take away the rights of people to say 'gays are a cancer on the face of society' then you take away our rights to say what we want as well.
I agree with you, which is why I don't think you can make it illegal. I do not think it is good for the country, for diversity, or even freedom of speech (outisde of a strictly legal sense) because it is pure hatred. More than that, it is hatred that is sanctioned by the majority of the Christian faith, which makes it sanctioned by the majority of the public insitutions, which makes it sanctioned by much of society.

I want religion to die a natural death, I don't want to murder it. The only way we will ever get out of this mess religion has created is if people begin to realize that they have been fooled. We can't legislate that, can't force that upon them because it just won't stick.

"Civilization will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest" -Emile Zola