Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #226
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
thomastwo wrote View Post
If amputees don't need healing, then why should God do it ? And if God need not do it then what is the point of asking why God doesn't ?
If God didn't want someone to have two arms and two legs then why place a tiny blueprint specifying as much in each and every cell? In allowing individuals to get sick and loose limbs, is God changing his mind, T2?

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #227
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
thomas if I didn't know you better I'd call you a sanctimonious douche-wrangler.

Now that you've discovered the super-secret "athiest position" -- amputees aren't normal! -- perhaps you'll flesh out for us the odious Xtian position that NO ONE is "whole" without the benediction of your Imaginary Friend.
At least it has the benefit of treating people equally ......

But on the issue, do you really think that anybody *is* whole ? Aren't we all dealing with a bunch of issues related to our self-interest, deception, lying and just plain difficulty in getting along with others ? I find the Christian position on this very realistic.
thomastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #228
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Aren't we all dealing with a bunch of issues related to our self-interest, deception, lying and just plain difficulty in getting along with others ? I find the Christian position on this very realistic.
Do you mean the position wherein as a result of being tricked by a talking snake a rib-woman ate an apple which lead to the condemnation of all subsequent humans (all part of her extended family), and the only remedy open to the all powerful being who was in charge of everything was to send himself who is actually not him but is really to be tortured on earth by humans who didn't know who he really was (and/or wasn't) so that other humans who were not yet born (as well as those who were already dead) could avoid punishment for the fruit based transgression and be made whole by knowing the lord simply by believing that all this did really happen?

I do not find this to be all that realistic.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #229
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
You have an accident, and your leg is severed below the knee. The surgeon asks you whether you want it reattached (in this case, let's assume it is medically possible).

Do you accuse the surgeon of being biased against amputees?
Thomas,
Not sure why you're not answering my question above. Not enough time, or would your reasoning come crashing down if you did?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #230
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
Do you mean the position wherein as a result of being tricked by a talking snake a rib-woman ate an apple which lead to the condemnation of all subsequent humans (all part of her extended family), and the only remedy open to the all powerful being who was in charge of everything was to send himself who is actually not him but is really to be tortured on earth by humans who didn't know who he really was (and/or wasn't) so that other humans who were not yet born (as well as those who were already dead) could avoid punishment for the fruit based transgression and be made whole by knowing the lord simply by believing that all this did really happen?

I do not find this to be all that realistic.
Not realistic, per se, but "at least it has the benefit of treating people equally."

That is, as if everybody suffers equally from the same serious head injury.
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #231
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
At least it has the benefit of treating people equally ......

But on the issue, do you really think that anybody *is* whole ? Aren't we all dealing with a bunch of issues related to our self-interest, deception, lying and just plain difficulty in getting along with others ? I find the Christian position on this very realistic.
thomastwo, what has this discussion got to do with how amputees might be treated by anyone on this forum?

Why are you avoiding the point? There is no evidence that prayer heals anybody of any physical ailment, yet there are people who insist that this is possible. I suspect they do because it cannot be demonstrated whether prayer does or does not work in this way. Clearly, no one is going to try to argue that physical deformities-- whether by accident of birth or a mishap after the fact-- can be corrected this way.

For an allegedly omnipotent entity (or should I say those who makes claims on behalf of such an alleged entity), it's mighty convenient to be credited with performing miracles that cannot be demonstrated to be truly miraculous.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #232
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Not realistic, per se, but "at least it has the benefit of treating people equally."

That is, as if everybody suffers equally from the same serious head injury.
Even that equality is compromised since there are, apparently, those who actually enjoy their head injuries.....

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #233
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Yes well "life blows" is hardly a Christian discovery. More to the point, the Xtian notion that human frailty can be ameliorated by fetishizing a Sky Bastard zombie from the Iron Age is a bit shaky, in my jaundiced view.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #234
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
If amputees don't need healing, then why should God do it ? And if God need not do it then what is the point of asking why God doesn't ?
Give it time retard, within a decade we evolved mutated primates that created the GOD delusion with our brains WILL heal amputees by regenerating their organs using EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY. This is done TODAY with research animals in the lab. If it weren't for retarded, deluded, stupid, ignorant, psychotic, idiotic, tunnel vision, intolerant, readers of only one book, genocidal psychopaths, self-righteous, book burning, racists, pedophile, anti-science, morons, like people infected with Christ-psychosis IOW, Christianity, humanity would have landed on the moon over 1000 years ago and we wouldn't be having this discussion, but enjoying the panorama in Martianopolis our city in MArs.

Yes, we the true GODS will heal amputees, make the blind see, walk on water, and expel the uncleaned neurological spirits ( mental illness) from the malfunctioning brains of those suffering from the God-Belief, Life-afterdeath, & soul/spirit delusions.

It's all in the brain my friend. Get it repaired.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #235
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Yes well "life blows" is hardly a Christian discovery. More to the point, the Xtian notion that human frailty can be ameliorated by fetishizing a Sky Bastard zombie from the Iron Age is a bit shaky, in my jaundiced view.
Yeh, but I think it's a least a bit more than just "life blows". That feeling must be in relation to some other ideal of life that does not blow. Yet, if none of us experience that life why do we yearn for it ? I take the fundamental dissatisfaction with the way things are as a sign of an in-built knowledge of a restored world - that is beyond our grasp.
thomastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #236
Choobus
I Live Here

What the fuck? You mean the fact that we think that the grass is greener on the other side means that this must be true? That is circular logic of such self defeating bootstrappingness as to instantly form a giant goatse and suck you up into it!

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #237
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Yeh, but I think it's a least a bit more than just "life blows". That feeling must be in relation to some other ideal of life that does not blow.
Or it could be just in relation to the same life, during times when it doesn't blow. Anyway that's what I'm going on.

Quote:
Yet, if none of us experience that life why do we yearn for it ? I take the fundamental dissatisfaction with the way things are as a sign of an in-built knowledge of a restored world - that is beyond our grasp.
That's like saying my boner is evidence that Liv Tyler really wants me to give her a Cleveland Steamer in an alternate universe.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #238
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
I take the fundamental dissatisfaction with the way things are as a sign of an in-built knowledge of a restored world - that is beyond our grasp.
Discontent is clearly a beneficial evolutionary trait. Spreads the seeds.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #239
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
I take the fundamental dissatisfaction with the way things are as a sign of an in-built knowledge of a restored world - that is beyond our grasp.
Yes! Exactly! Like how I KNOW there is a really awesome "restored" movie version of Stars Wars Eps 1-3, but it is always beyond my grasp.

That's why I'm hoping the Watchmen movie will be like the first coming of Christ.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #240
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
inkadu wrote View Post
Yes! Exactly! Like how I KNOW there is a really awesome "restored" movie version of Stars Wars Eps 1-3, but it is always beyond my grasp.
Don't you mean 4-6?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote