Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #106
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Looks like the right-wing toffs have pulled the plug (for the time being) on the frocked fuckers getting the boot.
Quote:
91 Conservative MPs opposed plans for a mainly elected House of Lords.
I predict (not very confidently) the toffs will get the parliamentary boot first.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #107
psychodiva
I Live Here

fucking bastards

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #108
Eva
Super Moderator

toffs?

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #109
psychodiva
I Live Here

posh bastards who generally inherit their wealth and do little else apart from grab stuff from other people and drive around in posh cars acting all entitled like.

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #110
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Looks like the right-wing toffs have pulled the plug (for the time being) on the frocked fuckers getting the boot.
I predict (not very confidently) the toffs will get the parliamentary boot first.
I'm convinced that religion serves the interests of the wealthy elite. Yet poor fucks flock to it and cling to it and rally around it, and will defend it to their own deaths...or the deaths of others. The more I think I learn about human behavior and human society, the less I think I understand it.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #111
clambake
shred

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
I'm convinced that religion serves the interests of the wealthy elite. Yet poor fucks flock to it and cling to it and rally around it, and will defend it to their own deaths...or the deaths of others. The more I think I learn about human behavior and human society, the less I think I understand it.
Your problem is all that thinkin' and learnin'

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #112
West491
Obsessed Member

I agree partially, Sheep.

But what about places where religion exists but there are no wealthy elite- like religion in a small tribe? Do you think that religion serves a different purpose there?
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #113
clambake
shred

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post

But what about places where religion exists but there are no wealthy elite- like religion in a small tribe? Do you think that religion serves a different purpose there?
What makes you think there aren't any wealthy elites in a small tribe? "Wealthy elite" is just another way of describing power or control. Wealth is not necessarily measured in money or even physical assets.

[edited to add]

Obviously those tribal wealthy elites wouldn't seem wealthy to us, but within their social frame of reference they would be and that's all they need.

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #114
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post

Quote:
clambake wrote View Post
What makes you think there aren't any wealthy elites in a small tribe? "Wealthy elite" is just another way of describing power or control. Wealth is not necessarily measured in money or even physical assets.

[edited to add]

Obviously those tribal wealthy elites wouldn't seem wealthy to us, but within their social frame of reference they would be and that's all they need.
Good points. I think religion persists in part for power consolidation and social cohesion, but also there is a powerful psychological benefit on the individual level, at least that's how it seems to me: more learned peeps than me have said as much.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #115
West491
Obsessed Member

Thanks for clarifying. And now I wholly agree with you.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #116
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Pah! - it's only a temporary reprieve.

Quote:
Plans to reform the House of Lords are being abandoned after Conservatives "broke the coalition contract", Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg has announced.
We'll be back, you frocked fuckers.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote