Old 08-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
myst7426

http://www.historychannel.com/

A new program with evidence that the Exodus actually took place. After I viewed the program, I concluded that the exodus did in fact occur. I encourage all of you to check it out. It has been replayed 3 times so far this week and just look at the program schedule to see when it will be replayed again. I am not converting to Judaism or anything. The eruption of Santorini explains all the plagues. Once again, science has taken God's place. I thought it was a good program.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
The Unbrainwashed

Quote:
myst7426 wrote

A new program with evidence that the Exodus actually took place. After I viewed the program, I concluded that the exodus did in fact occur. I encourage all of you to check it out. It has been replayed 3 times so far this week and just look at the program schedule to see when it will be replayed again. I am not converting to Judaism or anything. The eruption of Santorini explains all the plagues. Once again, science has taken God's place. I thought it was a good program.
MODERATE THEIST ALERT!!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
myst7426

Read again. I am a long time member of this forum and I am not a theist. I am pointing out that science explains the alleged "supernatural" events of the story located in the OT.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
myst7426

The title should be called "The Exodus DEcoded". An example of a random mutation with a function.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
Metman07

I didn't get to watch all of the show, but from what I saw, it explained how something somewhat similar to the events recorded in the OT could have happened. The parts I saw did nothing to address the problem that there is very little evidence that the exodus did happen.

It's possible that a few slaves escaped Egypt, but nothing like on the scale described in the OT.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
myst7426

Quote:
Metman07 wrote
I didn't get to watch all of the show, but from what I saw, it explained how something somewhat similar to the events recorded in the OT could have happened. The parts I saw did nothing to address the problem that there is very little evidence that the exodus did happen.

It's possible that a few slaves escaped Egypt, but nothing like on the scale described in the OT.
I am not suggesting that it occurred exactly as the OT says. I was simply saying that a bunch of people left Egypt right after the Santorini volcano erupted which caused the 10 plagues in Egypt.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

I saw part of it, too. It was pretty unremarkable IMO. I agree that it addressed what could have happened, not necessarily what did happen. If it DID happen, that doesn't square with the fact that 300,000 people wandering in a desert for 40 years would have left a lot of traces of their having been there, yet there is none.

What I saw of it kind of smacked of people using their desired conclusion as a starting point and attempting to fit the available evidence to their desired conclusion.

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
myst7426

I don't think you guys are giving it enough credit. The program did show quite a bit of evidence - too much to be a bunch of coincidences. None of it gives theism any more crediblilty since it is all natural events. Moses may not have even talked to the Pharaoh. He could have just picked up and left while the natural disaster were occuring.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Mike the Kitty

It seems to me that it really doesn't matter from a Christian perspective whether or not the Exodus occured. And even to most Jews, much of the biblical literature is taken as pseudepigraphal (historical fiction, of a sort).

What would it even mean if it turned out that there was in fact an Exodus of Israelites? Would it change opinions of anyone? No one casts doubt that Buddha existed. That doesn't make me a Buddhist.

Religion depends first and foremost on internal factors. External factors just lend a sense of righteousness to those who believe :)
Old 08-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
AndyHolland

Of course the events were natural and of course they occurred. Supernatural is not unnatural - super natural is especially natural.

When Jesus heals the guy in Bethsaida spitting in his eyes, and he sees men as trees walking, he is healing him naturally (the guy experiences textbook Visual Agnosia - not commonly known till the 20th century).

Then Jesus touches the fellow so his brain can process visual images for the first time.

Our gene expression can literally be changed by touch, by music, by chemistry - etc.... All scientific - not hocus pocus - not "magic" - in fact so natural it is especially natural "supre" natural "super" natural.

These are not fairy tales, these are real events.

See for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasta

Logos - Word - logical ordered expression - especially natural and very real.

andy holland
sinner
Old 08-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
The Unbrainwashed wrote
Quote:
myst7426 wrote

MODERATE THEIST ALERT!!
myst isn't a theist. He sucks muslim wang for some reason and hates the jews, but he is definately an atheist.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
AndyHolland wrote
- super natural is especially natural.

andy holland
dick
shitlord
sinner
:lol::lol: truly, only a shitlord could say somethinglike this and mean it.

Dick, you're at the top of your game, if your game is shitlordship.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
Victus
Obsessed Member

I saw it several months ago. It makes the plagues plausible, but does not address the utter lack of evidence for the Exodus itself. So while one could plausible posit that there are bases for the plagues, one must acknowledge that the number of Israelites leaving Egypt were far fewer, and that the conequences for Egypt were far less (the era is followed directly by the New Kingdom, the height of Egypt's power and influence).

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #14
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Quote:
AndyHolland wrote
Of course the events were natural and of course they occurred. Supernatural is not unnatural - super natural is especially natural.

When Jesus heals the guy in Bethsaida spitting in his eyes, and he sees men as trees walking, he is healing him naturally (the guy experiences textbook Visual Agnosia - not commonly known till the 20th century).

Then Jesus touches the fellow so his brain can process visual images for the first time.

Our gene expression can literally be changed by touch, by music, by chemistry - etc.... All scientific - not hocus pocus - not "magic" - in fact so natural it is especially natural "supre" natural "super" natural.

See for example:

andy holland
sinner
Wow. You're a bit of a nut, aren't you?

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #15
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
AndyHolland wrote

See for example:

andy holland
sinner
Jesus only touched naked boys as per the secret gospel of mark. Obvioulsy you did not know your Jesus was a gay pedophile...It is WRITEN in the gospel. Where have you been Andy? the Greek Orthodox nut house?....:lol:

From the gnostic gospel of Mark:

""And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him, "son of David, have mercy on me". But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered , went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus thaught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan."

Calpurnpiso OWKT ( One who knows the truth)..:)
BTW there is NO EVIDENCE of an exodus by Jews. Only a stelae of Pharoah Meremptah ( successor of Ramses II) in the Cairo museum who mentions an exodus by BOAT PEOPLE ( ca 1310 bce)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote