Old 09-04-2006, 11:42 PM   #46
Xander

I decided to wait untill everyone got theirs to order mine. Just sent off for all 5 disks!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #47
Mike the Kitty

Quote:
4thgeneration wrote
It was also pointed out that the same science that most of America accepted (DNA evidence) as proof to sentence a man to death or exonerate him, was the EXACT same science that most of America disregards when it isn't convenient to them (DNA proof of common ancestry).
This is not the same science.

Making a sequence of a person's DNA and comparing it to another sample is one thing. No evolution required.

Making inferences about how that DNA came to be structured in that way, and comparing it to a known different sequence, is completely different and requires evolutionary theory.

If we really want to convince the bleating sheep that evolution is just a plain simple fact, we have to make sure we get those facts right. Otherwise we just provide powder for their uberreligious zealot cannons. (Laser guided!)
Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #48
4thgeneration

Quote:
DinaNoun wrote
Quote:
4thgeneration wrote
However, the gentleman who narrates confuses DNA polymerase and RNA polymerase. Other than that, I enjoyed the video immensely and think that it would be a good tool for teaching.
That's a bit harsh.

While narrating - live - a video clip during his lecture he first does call the molecule RNA polymerase. But after saying the word DNA over and over, the next time he mentions the same moleulce (RNA polymerase) he mistakenly says DNA polymerase. That's not really confusing the two, that's just saying the wrong word (I'm sure a psychologist could give a good explanation for why someone would accidentally do something like that).

Besides, by your usage, the same Ph.D. "confuses" manatees and dolphins! After discussing manatee evolution a good bit, he moves on to dolphin and whale evolution. At one point, though, while on the new topic of cetaceans, he mistakenly says "manatees and whales" instead of "dolphins and whales". Does that really mean he confuses dolphins and manatees? I don't think so.
I am certain that the gentleman in question knows the difference between DNAP and RNAP intimately. However, I was just pointing out that the lecture may confuse someone who didn't already have a working knowledge of Transcription and Replication. Sorry if I used incorrect terminology for your liking. It was just a point that I noticed and when I lent the DVD to one of my colleagues (who teaches Microbiology), he felt that it was important enough to exclude that particular lecture so as to not confuse his students who were being introduced to Central Dogma. It would be fine for upper level students perhaps, but it really requires clarification if you are going to show it to a class.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #49
Livingstrong

Well, I am thankful for the disks I got from the HHMI, but I totally disagree with the research of Dr. Jeffrey M. Friedman about obesity. He's a geneticist and affirms that 80 to 90% of the obesity is caused by genetic problems related to leptin. He says that life style influences very little in obesity. I just don't buy that. That is ludicrous. That is only his opinion and I disagree with him 100%.

I think that life style has the 80 to 90 % and genetics the rest.

There are other researches going on right now in Britain about leptin and its influence in obesity, but those don't corroborate what Dr. Friedman stated.

We should wait for more studies to be revealed. I might be wrong, but I certainly doubt it.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #50
Mike the Kitty

I would assume, since cultural practices follow country borders much more than genetic similarities, that you are right HC (seeing as obesity varies significantly by country as well).

It's a hard thing to test, but you could probably find the countries most genetically similar to the US, say, and compare their obesity percentages.

Of course, this doesn't rule out that an obesity gene was mutated early in American history, and propagated (for whatever reason) entirely in the US boundaries. I suppose you could track 2nd and 3rd generation Americans for refutation of that idea.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #51
myst7426

I ordered mine about a week ago. How long did it take for you guys to recieve your copies? I only ordered the evolution DVD. I didn't order everything they have in stock like some of you. I wonder if the website experienced abnormal volume of orders when the thread began.

Weekends are boring and I was hoping that it would arrive today.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #52
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Quote:
myst7426 wrote
I ordered mine about a week ago. How long did it take for you guys to recieve your copies? I only ordered the evolution DVD. I didn't order everything they have in stock like some of you. I wonder if the website experienced abnormal volume of orders when the thread began.

Weekends are boring and I was hoping that it would arrive today.
It took less than a week for me.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote