“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #32
PanAtheist
Obsessed Member

Doctor Who Gives a Fuck?

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Give Mr Capaldi a few episodes - he'll soon abuse talk you round!
If only. Peter Capaldi is fantastic. It's a great bit of casting. But it's the writing that is the problem. It's total bullshit now, and there's nothing left to care about. As an "explanation" and culmination of Matts Smith's era, his finale episode was lamer than a steam-rollered jellyfish. And no disrespect to Matt Smith, because he did great, but if the writing was as good as he keeps saying it is, I don't think he'd have walked.

I was excited about Moffat's premiership, because his episodes in the RTD era promised more sci-fi, and intelligence-satisfying plots. But now the show is magical bullshit nonsense where nothing makes any sense whatsoever. He has given almost the reverse of what I expected.

The golden rule of Who is : you can have outrageous nonsense as long as it's fun. But the most recent series was mostly dire and dour.

There's no doubt Moffat has had some great hits, but less than half the episodes are any good at all now. Shame, but Moffat simply hasn't lived up to his promise.

DW needs to be a show that celebrates rationality. It needs to get back to that. And back in the RTD era, the show seemed to be about something. It seems to have little to say now. It's almost become as irrelevant as Police Boxes.

Healthy genes act as team-players. They are teamish!
Their winning plays are
salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
Only a fraction of genes are selfish/parasitic (and they
parasitize teams).
PanAtheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #33
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I must admit, the writing under RTD's stewardship was fucking excellent and many of the fucking best scripts came from that cunt, Muffit. 'Blink' & 'The Girl in the fucking Fireplace' spring to mind. Perhaps the fucker RTD could be coaxed back to oversee or advise on what Moffat and his fucking cronies churn out? I dunno, I'm no fucking writer. The show is beyond cunting cult status - so perhaps they could get away with a fucking good splash of fucking Tuckerisms? - might liven it up dontcha think. Fucker.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #34
Davin
Obsessed Member

I didn't mind Matt Smith too much, but maybe the writing is why I'm not as into the last few years as much as I was with Eccleston and Tennant. I liked a lot about the last two episodes, but I think there was too much fan service and not enough story.

I liked the idea of the Doctor doing something horrible and feeling like shit about it... but they took that away and now the Doctor is unblemished. That's alright I suppose, it's their character. The idea of the Doctor having done something horrible then feeling bad about it, was part of what drew me in on Eccleston's Doctor and carried me through Tennant's Doctor.

I liked watching the classics as well, and likely would have watched almost any restart to the franchise (except an American Doctor Who), and I will still likely watch any Doctor Who they put out but I don't have to like it.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #35
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

What if they change his name to Dr Whom?

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:04 AM   #36
Prycejosh

Quote:
Saturday wrote View Post
What would you do if the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God is real when you die?

I read the Last Answer by Isaac Asimov many years ago and I still find my mind wandering to it. It's an incredible piece. You can find it here for those that haven't read it yet: http://www.thrivenotes.com/the-last-answer/

So if we die and find that God or a God-like being does in fact exist and we find that he is a rather unsavory fellow that wishes us to praise him for eternity among other things-

What could we do? What will we do?

My first thoughts are in agreement with Asimov. I would probably devote my eternal existence to thinking of a way to destroy him, thereby succeeding or forcing him to destroy me first.

A more interesting question is do you guys think that would be possible with all eternity to ponder on the question? I am thinking that eternal existence is an incredible power, perhaps even a type of omniscience and following that, a type of omnipotence. Off the cuff, I think we'd have a chance in succeeding.

Thoughts?
well allah isnt real because thats proven by his word the quran and history. its a statue. with the moon and star on it. the jewish god is the christian god but the problem is they dont believe in jesus so they are screwed unless they change. you need to find out and research because if it is true which you will find out when you die. it will be too late to come to god and ugly, disgusting demons bring you to hell. there will be nothing you can do. fight god you couldnt touch him and hes the one that rejected you.
Prycejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #37
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Prycejosh wrote View Post
well allah isnt real because thats proven by his word the quran and history.
Hrm... well since you talk like you know the quran and history, I'll just have to take your word for it that you believe god isn't real. Man, you are one shitty spokesperson for your god, first you claim your god is dead, now you claim your god isn't real.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #38
Prycejosh

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Hrm... well since you talk like you know the quran and history, I'll just have to take your word for it that you believe god isn't real. Man, you are one shitty spokesperson for your god, first you claim your god is dead, now you claim your god isn't real.
i didnt say hes dead i said he died and came back to life. hes in heaven now at the right hand of god the father. your going to be judged by him. ill say regarding my judgement with jesus. i tried to convince davin but hes a idoit. i didnt say hes not real allah isnt real not the god i serve but you already knew that. you knew what i meant. your so blind its too hard to convince you. i give up.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #39
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
If I found out I was immortal, after a while I'd start to find a way to kill myself.
No need, really. Think about it - eternity? Sooner or later you'd die of terminal boredom.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #40
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
i didnt say hes dead i said he died and came back to life. hes in heaven now at the right hand of god the father.
Since G*d exists outside of time and space, how does youse figger out where the right hand side is?

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #41
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
i didnt say hes dead i said he died and came back to life.
You said the god died for your sins.

Quote:
Prycejosh wrote
hes in heaven now at the right hand of god the father.
If the god is still alive, then it didn't sacrifice shit.

Quote:
Prycejosh wrote
i didnt say hes not real allah isnt real not the god i serve but you already knew that.
You don't seem to know what "allah" means. You're so so adorably ignorant about everything you say. Then you try to call other people idiots?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #42
Hobotronic2037

Quote:
...idoit.
You do what?
Hobotronic2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #43
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Jesus. Duh.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #44
Hobotronic2037

Hobotronic2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #45
Prycejosh

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Since G*d exists outside of time and space, how does youse figger out where the right hand side is?
it says in his word jesus himself said that. dont you read his word. or is it just to look for mistakes. GGs.