Old 02-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #61
skribb

Oh, okay.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #62
oldhippychick

I hadn't heard of a couple of these, so had no chance to be a goofball on those. I did know that you shouldn't force water--e.g., if your bladder is small, drinking 8 glasses a day will give you bladder problems.

However, I did see something (and, wait, let's examine epistomology for a second--how do we know but we know except to read it? As an amateur natural scientist, I sometimes get new info through observations, but it's really quite minor, like ... when I use my red flashlight to do astronomy and am very quiet, sometimes an owl will come and perch very close to me, within a couple meters. The radiation from the flashlight probably says "food" to them, is my hypothesis. But this is hardly enough new data--if it is new--for a dissertation. I discovered on my own that mockingbirds sing all night at full moon in the spring, though others knew it before me. Otherwise, all we know is what we are told, run through our critical minds. Which is why religion is such a dangerous meme, yes? It brings with it an anti-critical mind and so the religious think they "know" something only because they've been told it. I don't want to make the same error.)

Anyway, long aside over, I did see something on some 90's TV science show about the brain with PET scans of male and female brains. When men are told to be at rest and think of nothing, their brains go pretty dead. 10% in use would be a generous assessment. When females are told this and they are PET scanned, their brains are red/orange hot with activity. Neurons firing all over the danged place. My hypothesis? That they're busy remembering every crappy thing they believe men have done to them. (a joke!) I guess this would make men better at meditation/rest, if true. And would make that irritating female query "what are you thinking about?" non-sensical. When he says nothing, apparently he really means it.

I don't have the slightest idea if this was true or some TV-quasi-scientific claptrap, but I always thought it was a fascinating thought, that male brains are at rest until actually needed. Makes me wonder what in evolution might have required the difference.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #63
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
oldhippychick wrote View Post
I guess this would make men better at meditation/rest, if true.
Actually, I would think it would mean that men don't need to meditate, since turning off their brain activity is a lot easier for them. By the same token, women would seem to benefit a lot more from meditation (if done correctly, one would assume).

Meditation has never been my thing, maybe that goes towards explaining it.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #64
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
oldhippychick wrote View Post
Any way, long aside over, I did see something on some 90's TV science show about the brain with PET scans of male and female brains. When men are told to be at rest and think of nothing, their brains go pretty dead. 10% in use would be a generous assessment. When females are told this and they are PET scanned, their brains are red/orange hot with activity. Neurons firing all over the danged place. My hypothesis? That they're busy remembering every crappy thing they believe men have done to them. (a joke!) I guess this would make men better at meditation/rest, if true. And would make that irritating female query "what are you thinking about?" non-sensical. When he says nothing, apparently he really means it.

I don't have the slightest idea if this was true or some TV-quasi-scientific claptrap, but I always thought it was a fascinating thought, that male brains are at rest until actually needed. Makes me wonder what in evolution might have required the difference.
What if some of us guys are completely backwards? Sometimes when I'm awake and supposed to be tentative, my brain completely shuts down. And then when it's time to get some sleep, I become a creative genius and have a deep understanding of complex things. Then when I finally do get some sleep, and wake up, I'm back to being a zombie.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote