Old 07-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #241
hertz vanrental
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
Here in Australia, after the last financial crisis there was a large backlash against CEO salaries and bonuses. The CEOs were shamed and cowered and vowed to listen and self regulate. This lasted a couple of years and just last week a study came out which showed that they are at record obscene levels again.

These raises and salaries are worst among the banks and financial institutions which have recently been investigated by a Royal Commission. The commission exposed extreme widespread fraud and criminal malpractice towards consumers. Self regulation is not an option.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

Do I sound like a fuckin' people person?
hertz vanrental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #242
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Ontario voters demonstrated their intellectual parity with their American neighbours by electing Conservative Doug "Donald" Ford as Premier, having quickly forgotten the Harper and Harris regimes (the public has a short memory!). No. 1 priority became cutting Corporate taxes (i.e. taxes on the rich and greedy). Like the Trump Fascists, cosying up to Fundamentalism is evident by the prescence of Canada's version of Jerry Falwell, "Doctor" Charles McVety in the midst of hired actors to cheer Ford on at one of the candidates debates. Fundies main fascination in life is other peoples sex lives, and McVety is an agitator against Ontario's Sex Ed program as revamped by the previous government, and has the ear of Ford. You can check out the Facebook page of some of these "keep my kids ignorant" parents at "Durham Concerned Parents".
An excerpt from their concerns - "The updated curriculum includes teaching students the correct terms for body parts and genitalia in Grade 1, with possible examples including penis, testicles, vagina and vulva."
Obviously, it is dangerous to a child's psych to teach such medical terminology for genitalia, when everyone knows that kids will learn the correct terminology at home or from their peers, e.g. dick, balls, cunt. How Volvo cars fit into the program eludes me.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:48 PM   #243
Noodle

Quote:
Hobotronic2037 wrote View Post
Noodle, I want to share something with you that is slightly off topic, but I think related philosophically, and I’d love to get your thoughts on it. Recommended to me by a guy at work, I read this a couple of weeks ago and I still haven’t formulated an answer for it myself, or even what I think about it as a thought exercise. But I’ve been thinking about it a lot. It’s called Tale of a Slave. https://www.colorado.edu/studentgrou...ick_slave.html
The idea that paying taxes is slavery is pretty dumb for the reasons Smelly mentioned about what our taxes pay for. I'm curious about what kind of society the "taxation is theft" crowd envisions.

The really interesting part of this thought experiment is that, if I understood it right, the writer seems to think that your vote is meaningless unless there would have been a tie without your vote. In their scenario, if it's not a tie, the "master" doesn't even count your vote. There's something stupid about that view of voting that I'm having a hard time putting into words.

So it's like saying if yours wasn't the deciding vote, it means you didn't really have a say at all. But that's true for every voter, so I guess we should just get rid of voting because every individual vote is meaningless? It makes me hopeful that the writer of this and the people who think it's smart don't vote.

The taxation is theft/slavery crowd is just as dumb as people who think communism'll work.

I used the word "vote" too much and now it sounds weird. Vote, vote, vote.
Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #244
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Noodle wrote View Post
The idea that paying taxes is slavery is pretty dumb for the reasons Smelly mentioned about what our taxes pay for. I'm curious about what kind of society the "taxation is theft" crowd envisions.
Watch trailers for "The Purge" to see their grand vision.

For the voting, they are trying to discourage the majority from voting, because it costs less and they have to make fewer compromises when fewer people vote. Even if one votes in a city/state/county where their candidate is almost guaranteed a win, adding an extra vote shows those that got voted in that you're vote is worth something. And in places where your vote is very likely going to the loser, the higher the opposition vote, the less likely they are to pull some shady shit.

Of course none of this reliable, that's why it's our responsibility to watch them after we vote.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #245
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Old 08-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #246
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

- and this is one of the more intellectually advanced maroons in the MAGA camp!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #247
Davin
Obsessed Member

It's like that Koch Bros. funded study that showed that the Healthcare for All would cost the US a whopping $32.6 trillion over 10 years. And they think that sounds like a lot. Until you actually compare it to something, like that we spent $3.3 trillion last year on healthcare. Even if that number were to stay the same (not likely), that means that the Koch Bros. funded a study that shows that healthcare for all would cover more people and cost less than what we're currently spending.

But of course, let's not do that, let's keep spending too much for less quality because a bunch of idiots can't do simple math.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #248
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 AM   #249
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Tiny hands tiny dick would get lost in there.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #250
AtomJack

Yeesh. I bet even cheeto von tweeto wouldn't touch that.
AtomJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #251
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!

Last edited by Smellyoldgit; 04-02-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #252
Hobotronic2037

Quote:
Noodle wrote View Post

The really interesting part of this thought experiment is that, if I understood it right, the writer seems to think that your vote is meaningless unless there would have been a tie without your vote. In their scenario, if it's not a tie, the "master" doesn't even count your vote. There's something stupid about that view of voting that I'm having a hard time putting into words.

So it's like saying if yours wasn't the deciding vote, it means you didn't really have a say at all. But that's true for every voter, so I guess we should just get rid of voting because every individual vote is meaningless? It makes me hopeful that the writer of this and the people who think it's smart don't vote.

The taxation is theft/slavery crowd is just as dumb as people who think communism'll work.

I used the word "vote" too much and now it sounds weird. Vote, vote, vote.
Hey noodle. Sorry for my tardy reply. I don’t remember getting notice that anyone had replied. Mea culpa.

Thanks for your insights into this thought piece. It honestly confused me as much as anything. I guess my key take away from it is that the idea of individual freedom really is a continuum. Putting it into the context of slavery versus freedom gives it a real baseline I think. I don’t think I would have written the continuum the same way. In any case, thanks for your thoughtful response.
Hobotronic2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #253
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Old 08-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #254
Hobotronic2037

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Agree totally that it’s a giant, stinking whorehouse.

That said the UK Parliament boasts 1443 stinking whores, making it quite a bit bigger.

Congrats on the title, British brethren!!!
Hobotronic2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #255
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Fuck Yeah - we win again!
.... and 800(ish) of our stinking-whore-cunts are unelected! - including 26 Lords Spiritual (bishop-cunts).
Now, if I had my way ......

Stop the Holy See men!