Old 12-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Sweet Spot between Atheism and Theism

Hi everyone,

I think I've found a perfect compromise position which can suit and benefit both Theists and Atheists regarding whether God exists!

Statement of belief:

I HOPE that a God Exists!!

One can additionally hope that the God - while leaving humanity for the most part to its own devices, will at least supply a rewarding afterlife - which all "Hopers" and believers (as long as they try to do good, and repent of their sins) can benefit from.

Analysis

From Atheistic and Agnostic positions - there is nothing irrational or harmful in declaring a mere "hope" that a God (and rewarding afterlife) exists. An Atheist / Agnostic can justifiably say, "I am not convinced that such a God and afterlife exists, but it would be cool and I hope it may be true".

Also, the "hope" (regardless of truth) provides an incentive to do good and be good, so society will benefit.

From Theistic / Dogmatic Religious positions - Hoping something is true is, arguably, a very very very bare minimal level of belief that that thing may be true.

Eg. No-one truly "hopes" for existence of an invisible unicorn, or flying spaghetti monster - as there is truly no hope for these alleged entities - such a belief is absurd, there is a strong belief they do not exist. But if one can "Hope" in a God, then there must be some basis in the hope, which at least is a firm belief that there is a possibility.

So I submit that "hope" in existence of God should be acceptable to the major religions which demand "belief" for receipt of salvation. In fact, many churches intertwine the meaning of faith and hope.

Impact: This realization could be very valuable to the Atheist or Agnostic, who wishes to play and benefit from Pascal's wager.

If an Atheist is surprised after their death that they have a spirt and are facing Jesus as judge in the thrown room - when asked "did you believe" - say "I hoped so!"

A word of caution to the dogmatically religious.

I submitted this concept of "hope" a couple years ago to Reasonable Faith - William Craig's Christian website, and they informed me that "hope" wasn't good enough - one has to solidly believe, or have faith that the Christian God exists to be granted salvation (or else Hell).

To this, I say fuck you to William Craig - I assure you, as God's witness, that Hope is OK!!!

Last edited by Andrew66; 12-14-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Andrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

As you seem to get bored oh so easily and feel a need to start more nonsense threads - I assume you have no problem with me closing down some of your previous tedious garbage. Good, consider it done.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
As you seem to get bored oh so easily and feel a need to start more nonsense threads - I assume you have no problem with me closing down some of your previous tedious garbage. Good, consider it done.
Do whatever the fuck you want, I don't care.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Excellent - I already have.
This latest crap is a repeat of your 2013 failed effort.
Fucking idiot.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Fucking idiot.
Oh yes,
sori
By the way, there was a complaint lodged from the Baptist church. When you got baptized last weak you fucking pissed in the water!!! What the fuck!! They want us to pay them for the clean up. I'll send you your share of the bill.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

You dare to pollute my thread with such drivel???

Blasphemy!

Do you not recognize that my words of Hope literally redefine and revolutionize religious belief and practice at a global level!!

All Agnostics and many Atheists get saved!!!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post

Blasphemy!

Do you not recognize that my words of Hope literally redefine and revolutionize religious belief and practice at a global level!!

DYDA?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
Davin
Obsessed Member

Oh wow, another shit post from the dumbass shit poster. I'm soooo surprised.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
hertz vanrental
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post

Blasphemy!

Fuck off you stupid, incompetent cunt!!

How's that for pollution?

You sad twat.
hertz vanrental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:47 AM   #11
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post

Blasphemy!

Can anyone say, "Messianic delusion?" LOL

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #12
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Fucking idiot.
Your ability to trawl for an astute reference is just one the many things I love about you Smelly

Old 12-23-2017, 05:02 AM   #13
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
Hi everyone,

I think I've found a perfect compromise ...HOPE that a God Exists!!...blah blah blah...This realization could be very valuable to the Atheist or Agnostic, who wishes to play and benefit from Pascal's wager.
Except that it woudln't really as you would have to "hope" that all gods that have ever been conjured up by humans over the millenia exost too: Everything from Amun-Ra to Quetzalcoatl to Thor to Zeus and every "god" in between. It always amuses me how this logical conclusion of Pascal's Wager is what makes it bollocks and also how this is never fully appreciated by the faith-head that proposes it because they simply cannot imagine reality being any other way other than the way their other faith-head friends and priests say it is.

I for one might even hope that something like Quetzalcoatl actually did exist just so the confused look on your little face could be seen as you gaze up at this flying feathered serpent bleeting and wimpering about jeebus.

Imagination fail. Logic fail.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
The Judge wrote View Post
Except that it woudln't really as you would have to "hope" that all gods that have ever been conjured up by humans over the millenia exost too: Everything from Amun-Ra to Quetzalcoatl to Thor to Zeus and every "god" in between. It always amuses me how this logical conclusion of Pascal's Wager is what makes it bollocks and also how this is never fully appreciated by the faith-head that proposes it because they simply cannot imagine reality being any other way other than the way their other faith-head friends and priests say it is.

I for one might even hope that something like Quetzalcoatl actually did exist just so the confused look on your little face could be seen as you gaze up at this flying feathered serpent bleeting and wimpering about jeebus.

Imagination fail. Logic fail.
Your comment has no merit.

Disappointed as you brand yourself as an intellectual. You are actually fairly weak minded and your post shows this.

One does not need to "hope all God's exist" - where did you pull that idea from? It has nothing at all to do with my post.

And there is nothing "illogical" about Pascal's wager.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
Your comment has no merit.

Disappointed as you brand yourself as an intellectual. You are actually fairly weak minded and your post shows this.

One does not need to "hope all God's exist" - where did you pull that idea from? It has nothing at all to do with my post.

And there is nothing "illogical" about Pascal's wager.
The debate I raise is actually a Theological one, so it doesn't surprise me that you are out of touch with it.

The debate should be dealt with in a Christian forum. Of note, William Lane Craig's people say that "hope" that a God exists just isn't good enough! I don't think this is true. If Christianity is true, this has major major ramifications.