Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #1276
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
... vituperation ...
c'mon - be honest, who else had to look it up?

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #1277
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Hindus are not a segment of our society. If they ever become a really large one, we will have to take into account their sensibilities and find some way to make it all work-- particularly if they are prone to violence, which, of course, American Catholics aren't.
OK, now let me see if I'm getting this right (which, I'm sure I'm not) but to me this, in plain English says:

Since Hindus do not have a substantial population in Merka, their sensibilities are unimportant and we need not concern ourselves with them, let alone cater to them. But if they grow in number, then and only then do we need to worry about their sensibilities, especially if they are prone to violence.

I'm sure I'm too stupid to grasp the actual meaning of what you wrote and that it really meant something entirely different from what it appeared to me. We shall see.

Edit: nevermind. I just read your follow up post. I knew that I was too stupid to grasp the real meaning.

btw, are you sure you want to make the blanket statement that Catholics are not prone to violence? I've seen some movies where the nuns can really bring down the hammer with a yardstick on the frail hands of schoolchildren. Not to mention other vids where nuns really know how to get their freak on, but that's for another discussion.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #1278
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Yes you guys, but if she was reasonable and flexible, first we would loose our rockem sockem toy and second nkb and Phil would fall into deep depression and probably take up a fast food habit or find God.
I would be willing to accept depression and any nasty habits I pick up as a result of it, if it would mean that Lily left for good.

I'm a team player, and I would take one for the team in this case.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #1279
nkb

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
c'mon - be honest, who else had to look it up?
I didn't!

Only because Irr has used it before, and I had to look it up then.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #1280
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I didn't!

Only because Irr has used it before, and I had to look it up then.
nyah nyah nyah!! I didn't

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #1281
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
You added this after I responded.

Are you serious? Are you kidding me?

I don't have enough time to list all the people you have insulted, ridiculed, accused of general meanness, and used a multitude of other methods to convey your dislike.

You do live in your own little (Lily)world!
Give me a break. You all have called me and other theists (and a few atheists of whom you didn't approve) names since the first day any of us came here. Hell, Studge even called Steveg, Steveg, of all people, a child molester! There are no depths to which you have not sunk. I have, unfortunately, adopted your way of talking to people I disagree with. It is a sin and I am really going to have to face up to that.

Just look at the litany here: hypocritical bitch, lilyass, Lillybutt. and who can forget lilytard, crusty, and others so vile that I won't repeat them (I can't even remember all the lovely epithets Chaos, alone, comes up with on a regular basis. I don't want to remember the garbage Ghoulslime comes up with). You have to try really hard to be put on ignore but if you are constantly vitriolic or vulgar with absolutely nothing of substance to say, you will land there.

Face it guys. You set the tone here and model the forum culture of vitriol and insult, constantly. Just look at the YHWH thread. Read your comments and *hear* them. You are as mean as rabid dogs and as insulting, as you can manage. You love it, except when some portion of it is aimed at you. That really ought to have taught you something but it hasn't.

I fell in with it, which is my fault. However, I also know what to do about it. I don't think you do.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #1282
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Give me a break. You all have called me and other theists (and a few atheists of whom you didn't approve) names since the first day any of us came here. Hell, Studge even called Steveg, Steveg, of all people, a child molester! There are no depths to which you have not sunk. I have, unfortunately, adopted your way of talking to people I disagree with. It is a sin and I am really going to have to face up to that.

Just look at the litany here: hypocritical bitch, lilyass, Lillybutt.

blAH BLAH BLAH NEVERENDING BLAH
still ignoring me then liar?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #1283
clambake
shred

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
1. Hindus qua Hindus are not part of this society, though there are individual Hindus who live in this country.
2. Hindus who come here, come knowing that we eat beef.
3. Hindus who enter a non-vegetarian restaurant know that beef will be consumed by many of the diners.
4. Well, there is no 4.

Under no circumstances would I deliberately offend anyone, Hindu or non Hindu. That is anti-social.

Aren't you the one claiming we have no reading comprehension? So you can live here but you're not part of our society? Well, I guess that is the Christian way after all.

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #1284
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Once again, what does that have to do with anything?

I was refuting your ridiculous claim that I am the only one you have professed to dislike.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Just look at the litany here: hypocritical bitch, lilyass, Lillybutt. and who can forget lilytard, crusty, and others so vile that I won't repeat them (I can't even remember all the lovely epithets Chaos, alone, comes up with on a regular basis. I don't want to remember the garbage Ghoulslime comes up with). You have to try really hard to be put on ignore but if you are constantly vitriolic or vulgar with absolutely nothing of substance to say, you will land there.
You're absolutely right, it is almost impossible to be put on ignore by you. On the other hand, threatening to ignore people, you have that down to a science.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Face it guys. You set the tone here and model the forum culture of vitriol and insult, constantly. Just look at the YHWH thread. Read your comments and *hear* them. You are as mean as rabid dogs and as insulting, as you can manage. You love it, except when some portion of it is aimed at you. That really ought to have taught you something but it hasn't.
You can leave anytime, Lily. It is within your own power to just walk away, and never post here again.
Can you actually do it? I doubt it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #1285
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
I fell in with it, which is my fault. However, I also know what to do about it. I don't think you do.
No, it doesn't seem like you really do know what to do about it. Sorry, but I see no problem with insulting anonymous people who can always choose to leave here rather than take abuse.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #1286
Lily

Quote:
clambake wrote View Post

Aren't you the one claiming we have no reading comprehension? So you can live here but you're not part of our society? Well, I guess that is the Christian way after all.
No, it is not the "Christian" way and that is an unnecessary insult that doesn't even have what little redeeming value humor could give it.

You have not understood what I mean by "Hindus qua Hindus". Their beliefs are not part of our culture. Hindus come here as outsiders and, like all outsiders, if they come in small enough numbers, they tend to assimilate or, at least, to make their peace with the dominant culture. I, at least, have heard of no civic unrest due to rioting Hindus. Have you?

If they retain their beliefs about sacred cows and become a large enough group to have political clout, they might well try to get the larger culture to accomodate their beliefs. If they are strong enough, they will succeed. If they are too small, they won't. It is the middle position that is troublesome and that will cause disruption, until some sort of accord is reached.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #1287
Lily

Quote:
Mog wrote View Post
No, it doesn't seem like you really do know what to do about it. Sorry, but I see no problem with insulting anonymous people who can always choose to leave here rather than take abuse.
Well, at least you are honest enough not to deny the forum culture of insult and abuse. That is more than I would expect of most here.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #1288
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Well, at least you are honest enough not to deny the forum culture of insult and abuse. That is more than I would expect of most here.
Hey, its a reality. What I don't get is why people don't leave after they've made their point. You've made whatever point you set out here to make many posts ago. We don't and probably won't ever agree with you on it and I doubt we can sway you to agree with us. Deal with it.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #1289
clambake
shred

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
You have not understood what I mean by "Hindus qua Hindus".
I understood perfectly, it just doesn't do anything to temper your insult to Hindus that are part of our society. It could even be more insulting than the second half of that statement, not that it matters.

Quote:
Their beliefs are not part of our culture. Hindus come here as outsiders and, like all outsiders, if they come in small enough numbers, they tend to assimilate or, at least, to make their peace with the dominant culture.
Can't you just feel the Christian love flowing in her words?

Quote:
I, at least, have heard of no civic unrest due to rioting Hindus. Have you?
Fascinating. So until there's violence involved they're just that cute religion with the elephant god.

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #1290
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
If you really search hard enough, you'll find quite a few places that make us look pretty tame and pleasant.

However - I'd be heartbroken to see "our" Lily leave - in fact I - erm, forbid it. I agree that her theological arguments result in much amusement, insult, abuse and resultant ridicule - but hey, she does make many of the passing wankpots appear to have an IQ very much in line with biblical expectations and she does prevent much of the destructive in fighting that creeps in from time to time.

You stick around babe.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote