Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #121
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
SteveG wrote
JUC. I have to be honest...it is exceedingly difficult. It takes every ounce of good will I have most times to not lash out. I have to mostly ignore more than half the posts (go back and read RenMan's) in almost any thread I participate in (this one isn't so bad....yet).
I hadn't realized that you ended up on the receiving end on things so frequently. that’s unfortunate.

Quote:
And there are not quite a few theist here. There is barely a handful at best, and at least half of those are Lily and myself. And if you read threads that Thomas posts in, he gets his share of vitriol as well.
Don’t forget Francis and Xians :P They might not be as eloquent as you and Thomas but they are theists. My point though was that Lilly seems at times to have a much harder time of things than the rest of you do, do to some differences in debate style.

Quote:
The level of hate, bitterness, condescension, and superiority that comes across here is nearly toxic.
I really don’t have anything to say to this other than
You're right
It is our way at times

Quote:
I am regularly trotted out here as one of the theists who is respected, and I suppose that's true for some members. But I get, and have always gotten my share of what Lily gets. She chooses to fight back, I choose mostly to ignore it (at least on screen). Which is wiser, I can't say.

If I am respected, it's only because I've deleted more posts than I can count that would have made it otherwise.
You hit the nail on the head with this one.
I for one respect you primarily because you keep your temper and it speaks well of your character.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #122
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Quote:
Mog wrote
Quote:
Eva wrote
like this one?
To defend Lily, Eva. I actually called her out on this thread.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #123
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
Quote:
Irreligious wrote
What kind of souvenir is a severed mannequin limb? What's it got to do with anything?
I try not to question mannequin limbs I have a few in my house and though I make use of them as hat and jewelry racks I’m not really sure why they are there. I thought perhaps this might be the same sort of thing.

What is it called when they keep holy bones?
I think you are thinking of relics
:thumbsup: Thats it!
Would that make sense with the whole maniquine arm thing? Token Relics perhaps?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #124
Eva
Super Moderator

.....what about the scapularies......?

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #125
Just Us Chickens

Whats a scapularie?

I googled it but all the links came up in either spanish or french I'm not sure which
Old 05-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #126
SteveG

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
You rarely fight "back."
You often pick the fight.
For instance?
Virtually every post.
PC, I think you just can't see it any longer because you are immune to what's going on here.

Go back and read this thread and see how it went down. Mog and Lily were going at it, and it was a bit 'tense', but nothing really that bad. Then the 'fucking moron', Jeetard, and cow pictures started, and then it went down hill as usual. That's almost always the way it goes down.

Do you realize that when your (figurative your) common speech/writing comes to the point where usage of Jeetard, Christ Psychotic, Godidiot, cunt, twat, idiot and the rest becomes the norm when referring to believers, the negativity has already begun before Lily makes a single post.

In truth, there are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it, and those who accept dogma and don't know it.
G.K. Chesterton
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #127
Eva
Super Moderator

this little images of saints that are wrapped in a plastic envelope kinda thing, with a cotton string, for wearing around your neck, but not meant to be seen, like you would wear a cross on a chain....
maybe there's another spelling for the word in english....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #128
SteveG

Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
Quote:
The level of hate, bitterness, condescension, and superiority that comes across here is nearly toxic.
You're right
It is our way at times
I ask this most sincerely. Do you think that is a healthy thing?

Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
You hit the nail on the head with this one.
I for one respect you primarily because you keep your temper and it speaks well of your character.
I really do appreciate your kind words. It hasn't gone unnoticed that you have been one of the few whose always been charitable to me, and I appreciate that as well.

In truth, there are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it, and those who accept dogma and don't know it.
G.K. Chesterton
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #129
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
Lily wrote
For instance?
Virtually every post.
PC, I think you just can't see it any longer because you are immune to what's going on here.

Go back and read this thread and see how it went down. Mog and Lily were going at it, and it was a bit 'tense', but nothing really that bad. Then the 'fucking moron', Jeetard, and cow picture started, and then it went down hill as usual. That's almost always the way it goes down.
I see that about this thread, and I agree.

Now, let me look WAY back in time to...the last time I engaged Lily. Yesterday.

http://ravingatheists.com/forum/view...232730#p232730

That, in fact, is almost always the way it goes down. With one caveat. She's usually far, far worse. That isn't the best example. Just the most recent.

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Do you realize that when your (figurative your) common speech/writing comes to the point where usage of Jeetard, Christ Psychotic, Godidiot, cunt, twat, idiot and the rest becomes the norm when referring to believers, the negativity has already begun before Lily makes a single post.
Do you realize that when your (figurative your) common speech/writing comes to the point where infidel, heretic, sinner, heathen, un-American and the rest becomes the norm when referring to the non-believers, the negativity has already begun before any of us make a single post?

Do you realize that for most of us, this is our only refuge from a world where we are the most hated people? Do you realize we have built this community as a sanctuary where we can release some steam?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #130
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
nkb wrote
So, do you still contend that we can infer attributes about the entire population of a country based on one person's actions? Can you at least admit that you were wrong about that?
I am going to give you one more chance to demonstrate that you are capable of basic, kindergarden variety honesty yourself. Go back and read the message I wrote. Read it until you find any legitimate way to support your assertion that I claimed one could infer attributes about "the entire population of a country based on one person's actions". Report back on your findings. Then we will see who is honest and able to admit that he is wrong ... I am not going to hold my breath. You have perfected the art of attributing to me attitudes I do not hold and statements I have not made. Then, when I refuse to play along, you accuse me of being dishonest. It is a swell game but I am not playing.
Since this is not the thread you made the statement in, I have posted in the orginal thread.

http://ravingatheists.com/forum/view...233154#p233154

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #131
Just Us Chickens

plastic wrapped saints?

Is that normal for Catholics or is it a fringe thing and why do they do it?
I suppose it cant be that normal as I've never seen one but then mabey it just isn't popular in the states
Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 PM   #132
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
You're right
It is our way at times
This is so far exaggerated I don't know whether to laugh or laugh harder.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 PM   #133
Eva
Super Moderator

not saints, more like stamp-sized images made of paper...

H. L. Mencken
Old 05-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #134
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
SteveG wrote
I ask this most sincerely. Do you think that is a healthy thing?
no and thus I try not to participate in that portion of thing but it is a great temptation like you I tend to end up deleting a lot of posts. I do however have a hard time feeling much sympathy for Lilly as she usually gives as good as she gets. It is unbecoming of us to jump down the throats of passing theists just because they are available.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #135
Lily

Quote:
Mog wrote
Its also the fact that not everyone has their brains (Psychopaths) wired this way. Not only are they not altruistic, but they feel no negative feelings for the evil that they do. They have as much chance to get to heaven as a camel has of going through an eye of the needle, and its not entirely their fault because they were created this way at birth. I could be wrong, but is Christianity based on the premise that everyone has a fair chance to get to heaven or not?
Everyone does have a fair chance, although that is not the ideal way to put it, I don't suppose. If one's psyche is so damaged that it is not possible for one to recognize right and wrong, there can be no culpability. You (all) seem to have a notion of God that makes him little more than an ill-tempered curmudgeon of limited imagination and intelligence. Think big. Very big. Better, smarter, wiser, more compassionate, more attune to the complexities of the human condition than even, even... Richard Dawkins!