Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #136
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Holy shit! Faust, or some part of it, is still read by every German high school student at some point. It is still staged, every couple of years.
So what? Faust may be required reading (I'm not sure if that's actually true), as may be a multitude of other famous German authors. How is that at all relevant? We all know how excited kids get about required reading, and how much they retain from it.
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Everybody still speaks that "form" of German. Some expressions have changed.
Are you smoking crack? When was the last time you were in Germany, early 1800s?
That's like claiming that everyone in England still speaks the "form" of English that Shakespeare used.
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Just as everyone can still read Washington Irving, though some forms of expression have changed.
So, in your world, being able to read something equates to speaking in everyday life?

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
And above all, do explain how I created the diversion! Did I pounce on a literary phrase used to describe how I felt about an analogy and declare it "wrong"?
I admit that I jumped on what appeared to me, based on the current German language, to be a phrase that was incorrect. I was too eager to expose you for the pretentious phony that you are, and that's my bad.

But, didn't you specifically say that you set a trap? How did exposing me as someone who isn't very familiar with old German literature (which I would have gladly admitted in the first place) relevant to your failed attempts at dismissing my analogies?

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
In the Elements of Figurative Language (Longman, 2002), Bradford Stull says that an analogy "is a figure of language that expresses a set of like relationships among two sets of terms. In essence, the analogy does not claim total identification, which is the property of the metaphor. It claims a similarity of relationships." (underlined to give you a little heads up.)
I agree. Now, show me how my analogy is not valid.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #137
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #138
Lily

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Please, honey. I definitely do not feel inferior to you. I pity you.

If I was getting my ass kicked on an Internet forum as consistently as you get yours beaten here, I'd think twice about reminding folks that I was actually the possessor of two Ph.Ds.

You are consistently wrong here.

Furthermore, in an open forum, you are not entitled to have "private" conversations. If you want to do that, we have a PM function here. Use it. Otherwise, I am quite free to comment on any stupid thing you feel compelled to post in this thread or any other.
I have kicked your ass so many times it is a wonder you still have one. It is also a wonder that I still have a foot. You are a boor, an uneducated dolt and a buttinski. That last you can do something about.

Buttoutski.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #139
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I brought nothing into the post that needed to be noticed or remarked on by you or anybody else.
You mean, apart from the completely irrelevant and pretentious quoting of a 200-year old work of literature, a quote that most Germans wouldn't recognize, nevermind the vast majority of posters here who speak English, not German?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
NKB claims to speak German. The phrase was written for his benefit since he could be expected (wrongly, as it turned out) to get the comic force of the phrase.
You crack me up. Please do explain the "comic force" of the phrase. How is comparing an analogy to a "miscarriage made of filth and fire" comic? Pretentious? Yes! Pompous? Absolutely! Comic? Not so much.
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
No, I brought a word into the discussion that should have told NKB plainly, as well as rather comically, what I thought of his analogy.
I already knew what you thought of my analogy, as you had already stated it in English. What was the point of the obscure Goethe reference?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It also isn't an obscure literary allusion to speakers of German who know their greatest writer.
Well, that's narrowed the field down quite a bit. Tell you what, I will poll my friends back home on whether they recognize the phrase, who wrote it, and the significance of it, and report back. To pre-emptively shoot down your next predictable argument, I will limit it to only college graduates (that's most of them anyway).
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
But it wasn't necessary for nkb to do so. He only needed to know what the words mean. He chose instead to focus on what he thought was the misuse of a preposition.
Yep, mea culpa.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #140
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I have kicked your ass so many times it is a wonder you still have one. It is also a wonder that I still have a foot. You are a boor, an uneducated dolt and a buttinski. That last you can do something about.

Buttoutski.
Ahh, as long as Lily is here, my thread will never be short of quotes of the self-unaware.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #141
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
So what? Faust may be required reading (I'm not sure if that's actually true), as may be a multitude of other famous German authors.
It is still widely read in school and is required reading in many. Here is an amusing site on which victims reflect on the experience.

Quote:
Are you smoking crack? When was the last time you were in Germany, early 1800s? That's like claiming that everyone in England still speaks the "form" of English that Shakespeare used. So, in your world, being able to read something equates to speaking in everyday life?
How long are you going to continue to reveal the depths of your ignorance without embarrassment? How many centuries after Shakespeare was Goethe writing? Hmmm? Honestly, this is embarrassing-- for you. There are fewer than 200 years between us and Goethe. How many lie between us and Shakespeare?

Can you understand this?

Mr. Bingley was good-looking and gentlemanlike; he had a pleasant countenance, and easy, unaffected manners. His sisters were fine women, with an air of decided fashion. His brother-in-law, Mr. Hurst, merely looked the gentleman; but his friend Mr. Darcy soon drew the attention of the room by his fine, tall person, handsome features, noble mien, and the report which was in general circulation within five minutes after his entrance, of his having ten thousand a year. The gentlemen pronounced him to be a fine figure of a man, the ladies declared he was much handsomer than Mr. Bingley, and he was looked at with great admiration for about half the evening, till his manners gave a disgust which turned the tide of his popularity; for he was discovered to be proud; to be above his company, and above being pleased; and not all his large estate in Derbyshire could then save him from having a most forbidding, disagreeable countenance, and being unworthy to be compared with his friend.

Is there anything here you cannot understand? Be honest. This is Jane Austen writing ca. 1800, 28 years before Goethe finished revising Faust. Do you really want to claim that we do not speak the same language as those 200 years ago?

Quote:
I admit that I jumped on what appeared to me, based on the current German language, to be a phrase that was incorrect. I was too eager to expose you for the pretentious phony that you are, and that's my bad.
And, in so doing, proved yourself again to be a pretentious nincompoop. I guess that was worth it, huh?

Quote:
But, didn't you specifically say that you set a trap? How did exposing me as someone who isn't very familiar with old German literature (which I would have gladly admitted in the first place) relevant to your failed attempts at dismissing my analogies?
Your familiarity with modern literature was never the issue. It was your familiarity with German that was. The word Missgeburt was so over the top that you should have recognized how comically exaggerated its use was. I do admit, however, after long experience I knew you were going to claim that I didn’t know German again. I knew that once again, I would get to feel deliciously superior to you. And I did. Still do. My bad.

Quote:
Now, show me how my analogy is not valid.
I already did. Since you didn’t get it, I will spell it out: how many terms does an analogy consist of? How many terms did yours consist of?

DAMN!! There’s that feeling of superiority again!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #142
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #143
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
In your dreams, sweetheart.

I'll tell you where that lost foot of yours winds up every time you post something stupid: In your mouth. So eat it.

And, clearly, I am not uneducated. Nor am I dense, like you, educated fool.

Yes, I can be a boor, especially when I'm dealing with a grade A boor and wannabe bully, like yourself.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Buttoutski.
Kiss my butt. I'm here for the duration.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #144
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It is still widely read in school and is required reading in many. Here is an amusing site on which victims reflect on the experience.
I'm not arguing that it isn't required reading (I was just saying that I don't know that for a fact).
How is this site relevant?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
How long are you going to continue to reveal the depths of your ignorance without embarrassment? How many centuries after Shakespeare was Goethe writing?
What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you the only one that's allowed to exaggerate for effect?
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Can you understand this?

Is there anything here you cannot understand? Be honest. This is Jane Austen writing ca. 1800, 28 years before Goethe finished revising Faust. Do you really want to claim that we do not speak the same language as those 200 years ago?
Oh, is it your contention that all languages go through the same transition at the same pace and at the same time?

For fuck's sake, can you stay on subject? I didn't say that a German speaker wouldn't understand Faust. They just don't speak that way (especially not in verse).

If we take Jane Austen as representative of early 1800s English, then, yes, English hasn't changed as much as German.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
And, in so doing, proved yourself again to be a pretentious nincompoop. I guess that was worth it, huh?
We can argue on the "nincompoop" part, but how was I being pretentious? I wasn't the one quoting obscure literature (for Americans) in a foreign language.
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Your familiarity with modern literature was never the issue. It was your familiarity with German that was. The word Missgeburt was so over the top that you should have recognized how comically exaggerated its use was.
I fully understood all the words in your quote. My first thought was "What the fuck does that have to do with anything?". Then I remembered who was posting it.
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I already did. Since you didn’t get it, I will spell it out: how many terms does an analogy consist of? How many terms did yours consist of?
How many terms? I don't think there is a distinct limit to how many terms. What the fuck are you on about?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #145
Lily

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
In the Elements of Figurative Language (Longman, 2002), Bradford Stull says that an analogy "is a figure of language that expresses a set of like relationships among two sets of terms. In essence, the analogy does not claim total identification, which is the property of the metaphor. It claims a similarity of relationships." (underlined to give you a little heads up.)
Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
We can argue on the "nincompoop" part, but how was I being pretentious? I wasn't the one quoting obscure literature (for Americans) in a foreign language.
Ah, but you were showing off your "supposed" superior German language skills."

Quote:
How many terms? I don't think there is a distinct limit to how many terms. What the fuck are you on about?
Your ignorance is what I am on about and your inability to make a reasonably strong analogy. Read, again the Stull quote which I have quoted again for you above.

Lemme spell it out for you: An analogy is a comparison between two different things It depends for its force on generalizing from what is know to what is unknown. You have too many terms, your comparison is mind-numbingly complex since it requires so much explanation and it doesn't work.

Oh here is someone who says it better:
Analogies show similarities in relationships that you might not first realize but they can be taken too far. At some point if you continue the comparison in too great of detail your comparison breaks down.

An analogy is a comparison between two different things so you can point out something about how they are similar. The comparison often is done point by point.

It often is done to explain something not well known by describing something that is known so you can generalize the information from what you already understand to the new thing.

Now, this thread has become surreal. Enough is enough. You have diverted this thread from whatever the original topic was-- and have exhausted me, or at least my interest in it. Enough is enough. Have the last word but be careful: consider which thread you are in.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #146
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Ah, but you were showing off your "supposed" superior German language skills."
So, are you pretentious when you point out grammatical errors in other people's posts (while ignoring your own)?

Although I have already conceded my error, I still stand by my statement that in modern usage of German, "aus" is correct, not "von".

If correcting grammar (in any language), is pretentious, then I guess I'm guilty.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Your ignorance is what I am on about and your inability to make a reasonably strong analogy. Read, again the Stull quote which I have quoted again for you above.
I read it. It talks about two sets of terms, not two terms.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Lemme spell it out for you: An analogy is a comparison between two different things...
Christianity and football. Check!
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It depends for its force on generalizing from what is know to what is unknown.
I explained that the common rules of football are universal, and then pointed out the differences between the USFL and the NFL. Check!
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
You have too many terms, your comparison is mind-numbingly complex since it requires so much explanation and it doesn't work.
But your football/basketball analogy was better? You're giving me shit for too many terms, and you listed the size of the playing surface for basketball?

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Oh here is someone who says it better:
Analogies show similarities in relationships that you might not first realize but they can be taken too far. At some point if you continue the comparison in too great of detail your comparison breaks down.
Like detailed instructions for the size of the playing surface?

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
An analogy is a comparison between two different things so you can point out something about how they are similar. The comparison often is done point by point.
Which is what I did. Check!

I'll give you a break and not put this into what is turning out to be your thread, because it's too convoluted, and would require too much setup, and you're already hogging it too much.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #147
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #148
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #149
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Although I have already conceded my error, I still stand by my statement that in modern usage of German, "aus" is correct, not "von".
No one disputes that. Let's get on to the main event.

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Let me fix your analogy, by actually making it analogous.
Ah! Let’s examine this Missgeburt von Dreck und Feuer! shall we?

Quote:
The New Jersey Generals played football in the United States Football League (USFL) in the 1980s.

The rules of the game were essentially the same as in the NFL, but there were some exceptions:
1. Two-point conversions (adopted by the NFL in 1994).
2. Instant replay challenge of official's rulings (adopted later in the NFL).
3. The college rule of stopping the clock on 1st downs (only in the final two minutes of each half).
Complex and meaningless argument since I don’t know anything about football, the only conversions I know of are religious in nature, don’t know what a 1st down is, etc.

Quote:
USFL teams never claimed to be NFL teams, but they undeniably played American Football. NFL teams did not consider USFL teams on the same level as themselves.
Failure. You are assuming what is to be demonstrated and are needing lots of words to do it (Breakdown!)

JWs are not undeniably Christians despite their differences from the NFL or the NBA or whatever.

Quote:
Now substitute the RCC for NFL, JWs for USFL, and (3) Christianity for Football.
Fail. You are again assuming what is to be demonstrated.

My analogy was a 1000 times simpler, could be understood by anyone and demonstrates what I am claiming:

The JWs are basketball players demanding to be allowed to call themselves football players while observing completely different rules.

See the difference? Now, it doesn't mean necessarily that I am right (though of course I am) but what I am claiming is clear. Christians and JWs believe things that cannot be reconciled. They are different.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #150
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Lily wrote
Enough is enough. You have diverted this thread from whatever the original topic was-- and have exhausted me, or at least my interest in it. Enough is enough.
Fat fucking chance - you tedious old tart.
Anybody care for a wager as to how many more dozen posts she'll drag this thing out?
I'm losing the will to vomit.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote