Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #211
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
thomastwo wrote View Post

I like that one.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #212
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
It's a question that's pretty much designed to offend and worse, there's no defense for it.
Again, I don't find the question offensive in the way that you mean. I find the question absurd. It needs no defense.
thomastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #213
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:

I like it, too.

But aren't we all victims of the same malady? I mean, come on, "normal" people don't do this type of shit. At least, that's what all my normal friends tell me.

thomastwo, yeah, I suffer from lastworditis. Are you contending that you don't?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #214
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Again, I don't find the question offensive in the way that you mean. I find the question absurd. It needs no defense.
OK, thomastwo. I find your whole belief system absurd and indefensible, but it shouldn't surprise you that I feel that way. Take that how you will. Anyway, I guess we're done. For now.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #215
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
But aren't we all victims of the same malady? I mean, come on, "normal" people don't do this type of shit.
Truely

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #216
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
You have an accident, and your leg is severed below the knee. The surgeon asks you whether you want it reattached (in this case, let's assume it is medically possible).

Do you accuse the surgeon of being biased against amputees?
Thomas,
You never answered this question. Care to give it a try?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #217
Eva
Super Moderator

if god made people with two arms and two legs, why would it be "normal" to have only one arm or one leg?

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #218
inkadu
Obsessed Member

And likewise, Eva, if God gave us an epiglottis, is it not normal to snore?

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #219
Irreligious
I Live Here

Whether or not amputees are normal was never the issue here until thomastwo decided to make it the issue. It's an obvious obfuscating diversion, which he steadfastly refused to be called on. I called him on it anyway, because it is so ridiculously transparent.

thomastwo doesn't like the question and he's stated his reasons, which I'm not buying. The fact that the mere question offends his sensibilities does not invalidate it. The god whom he asserts is a real entity has been credited with performing all manner of "miracles," from restoring people's good health in modern times to raising the dead and parting seas in Biblical times. Some even give God credit for reviving clinically dead people today. Well, apart from that, what could be more "miraculous" and inexplicable than a spontaneously regenerated human limb?

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #220
assilem

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
In Orson Scott Card's Treason, the main character can grow back parts.
That sounds like an interesting read. Has to be better than Ann Coulter's Treason.
assilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #221
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Toilet paper after I've wiped my ass is a better read than Ann Coulter.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #222
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Whether or not amputees are normal was never the issue here until thomastwo decided to make it the issue. It's an obvious obfuscating diversion, which he steadfastly refused to be called on. I called him on it anyway, because it is so ridiculously transparent.

thomastwo doesn't like the question and he's stated his reasons, which I'm not buying. The fact that the mere question offends his sensibilities does not invalidate it. The god whom he asserts is a real entity has been credited with performing all manner of "miracles," from restoring people's good health in modern times to raising the dead and parting seas in Biblical times. Some even give God credit for reviving clinically dead people today. Well, apart from that, what could be more "miraculous" and inexplicable than a spontaneously regenerated human limb?
If amputees don't need healing, then why should God do it ? And if God need not do it then what is the point of asking why God doesn't ?
thomastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #223
Choobus
I Live Here

God loves amputees. After all, if your right hand offends you you're meant to cut it off (I can only think of a couple of ways in which this offense might occur, and none of them offend me). If, for example, it was wanking that led to the offense then if god wasn't a big fan of the limbless wouldn't he merely suggest not wanking? It seems ot me that the bible is very clear about this matter.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #224
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

thomas if I didn't know you better I'd call you a sanctimonious douche-wrangler.

Now that you've discovered the super-secret "athiest position" -- amputees aren't normal! -- perhaps you'll flesh out for us the odious Xtian position that NO ONE is "whole" without the benediction of your Imaginary Friend.
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #225
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
If amputees don't need healing, then why should God do it ? And if God need not do it then what is the point of asking why God doesn't ?
Unless you are God, you're in no position to make that judgement. Obviously, someone who has lost a limb or digit was injured and, yes, some would like to have their lost limb or digit restored, just as someone suffering from a disease would like to have it expunged from their body. What's the point of asking God to cure one of a virus? And, yet, some religious people do. And, if they are fortunate enough to see a positive change in their health, some attribute it to a miracle from God.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox