ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #32
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Hope you achieve it.
You have to have a LOT to say!

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #33
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

You're already a senior member.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #34
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
You're already a senior member.
I have only just begun to talk.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 01-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Oh fuck.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Weezyone wrote View Post
My goal: attain obsessed member status
good luck

ā€œ'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #37
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Oh fuck.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
psyadam

Quote:
Porcupine wrote View Post
If you know everything and can do anything, then you will know that you're going to choose A instead of B tomorrow. However, if you can do anything, then you could choose B tomorrow. So it is logically impossible to both know everything and be able to do anything.
That's a pretty good argument.
psyadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #39
Porcupine

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
I think God exists.

My definition would be:
A delusional figment of men's imagination, born mainly out of fear of the unknown and desire for answers. Adopted as a control mechanism for rulers and governments. Changed over the years to suit the cultural changes that occur, to try to keep itself acceptable (except Jizzlam).

That for me is God.
Very well said. Thanks for sharing.
Porcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #40
Porcupine

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Evidently omniscience and omnipotence are characteristics of your god.

With that meager a definition of god, you are right that the Abrahamic god cannot exist, but the Greek and Roman gods, being neither omniscient nor omnipotent, could exist.
Most believers I've met say that the God they believe in is omniscient and omnipotent. But since omniscience and omnipotence are qualities which I have never observed, nor do I know anyone who has observed them and which seem to far fetched to be real, I don't believe either of these qualities to exist.

Did the Greek and Roman Gods exist in a physical sense?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #41
Porcupine

Quote:
efilnikufecin wrote View Post
First of all, omniscient and omnipotent are man-made ideas that are for lack of a better term "bullshit". Any number of paradox examples can be found in christian/catholic biblical text. For example:

Gen 3:9, Gen 3:11, Gen 3:13

In each, there are three things that contradict omniscient and omnipotent, the words Where, Who, and What/Why(depending on the version). If god were of OmniBadAssEdness, he wouldn't have had to ask nobody nothin.

It's all lies and slander.

It is impossible to define "god" anyway. Every human's brain is developed from their own unique perspective. It is impossible to share the exact same life experience from birth to death as another individual. There are infinite variables to consider, and since there is no physical proof of a gods existence, these variables would differ from person to person, just like fingerprints. They may be similar, but not exactly the same, therefore different. All that is left is speculation, which may be the whole reason this religion nonsense got started in the first place.

So, basically..... Fuck god, fuck jesus, and for fucks sake, Fuck the Holy Spirit. I like beer
Why do the majority of Christians dismiss any of paradoxes as not applicable, responding with things like "God works in mysterious ways". Are they so stupid that they think we won't see through their BS?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #42
Eternal
Thank God Iā€™m an atheist

Quote:
Porcupine wrote View Post
Why do the majority of Christians dismiss any of paradoxes as not applicable, responding with things like "God works in mysterious ways". Are they so stupid that they think we won't see through their BS?
I think it is more that they don't want to see through their bullshit. If skeptical thinking gives you a bullshit detector, then religious thinking gives you bullshit camouflage. It's not a case of expecting us to believe it, it's more a complete denial that it exists. If god has been used to explain the unknown at that time, then logically they can use him to explain the still unknown at the current time.

Unfortunately for us, the unknown for most theists is the answer to any of our fucking questions.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #43
Porcupine

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
I think it is more that they don't want to see through their bullshit. If skeptical thinking gives you a bullshit detector, then religious thinking gives you bullshit camouflage. It's not a case of expecting us to believe it, it's more a complete denial that it exists. If god has been used to explain the unknown at that time, then logically they can use him to explain the still unknown at the current time.

Unfortunately for us, the unknown for most theists is the answer to any of our fucking questions.
Very well said.

Sometimes I get the sense that Christians don't really believe their God exists - and they just put up a smokescreen to make it appear as if they think their God exists, probably to help them better fit into the community they desire to fit into.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #44
Antares93
New Member!

God can't be omnipotent, omnicient or omnipresent because the post given already and we have nothing that is either of the three, not even electrons can be omnipresent, so what makes people to think that a guy in a book is? soo weird.
Antares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #45
psychodiva
I Live Here

can be impotent tho

ā€œ'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote