Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
baconeatingatheistjew

What is the scientific explanation for why tiny random genetic mutations take place all the time? Or is that just a natural occurrence?

I'm hoping someone here will give me the simplest answer so that I can shut this a hole up.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
inkadu
Obsessed Member

It's a natural occurrence as far as I know... and you might want to call it "genetic drift," which I think is what you call it when genes in a population deviate from an original population -- if they are separated by distance or a barrier (such as different mating rituals...)

Anyhoo.

Edit: Oh, crap, you want an "explanation." I thought you wanted a term. I think you should look up some basic genetics... but basically every egg and sperm has a different combinations, so each combo is a new dealio. Sometimes errors are introduced in copying DNA, and these are properly called mutations. The explanation? I dunno. Something doesn't copy quite right. I think I read that things like radiation could mess up the transcription process...

Why? What's the a hole's point? That science can't explain mutations, therefore God did it? Lame.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
bryantee

I believe it's usually due to a copying error during meiosis. Of course there's a more complex explanation, perhaps someone else can handle that one.

You could say that mutations are evolutionarily favorable, not necessarily for an individual, but because populations that replicate with 100% fidelity are incapable of changing to meet an environments needs.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
HeathenLifer

Yeah, like, if you make 1 million cookies, at least 12 will come out burnt. No copying system is perfect. Also, DNA atrands can be added to in odd places and then copied.

If your calculator adds your inputs 2 and 3 and gets 5, but the real problem you were trying to solve was 2 plus 2, the machine gives the wrong answer for your problem. The machine isn\'t broken and yet it got the wrong answer. It was gullible and believed your lie and behaved accordingly. - Sternwallow
HeathenLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
baconeatingatheistjew

Thanks for the answers. I decided to do an internet search and I copied the first bit from someone else and added my own take:

Random genetic mutations happen all the time, because reproduction is not a perfect copying act, because environments change. More likely, as the environment changed, reproduction where mutations occurred were more beneficial to survival of the species when it came to adapting to the new environments.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
baconeatingatheistjew

I've dealt with this Godidiot before. His evidence for God is predicated on thy "why" did the big bang occur, and "why" was genetic mutation even possible to begin with. So I'm sure my answer won't satisfy him.

Here is an example of his asshattery http://agradevaduta.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html
Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Ask him if he does anal - then tell him to fuck-off.
I've learnt that this works in most cases.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
whoneedscience

Quote:
BEAJ wrote
His evidence for God is predicated on thy "why" did the big bang occur, and "why" was genetic mutation even possible to begin with. So I'm sure my answer won't satisfy him.
Without genetic mutation, there would be no evolution. Mutation is how new information enters a gene pool. Without it - as creationists dishonestly but correctly point out - the net amount of information stored in the genes can at best remain the same, and would actually be expected to decrease.

Thus the "why" of mutation is answered by evolution and the mere existence of life around us. If there were none, the evolution of complex life would not be possible, and we would not exist. If I can put it more clearly, imagine a species which copies its genetic material perfectly. Individuals reproduce and compete for limited resources, and thus selection occurs on their genes, removing the bad ones and keeping the better ones. After time, the species stagnates. Every individual would share more or less the same genetic make-up, and there would be no new material for selection to occur on, so when the environment inevitably changes, the species would likely be out competed by those who could adequately adapt. Similar reasoning also shows why species which reproduce sexually vastly outnumber and out compete those who simply make perfect clones of themselves (at least among animals more complicated than flatworms and such).

Furthermore, a basis of life which did not allow for mutation could never have gotten off the ground. All of life would have stalled at simple replication, and likely would have gone extinct once their resources were exhausted. The mere fact that we exist shows that this is not the case, and looking for answers in the supernatural gets you nowhere.

For historical perspective, there was much argument in the 18th century over why we happen to live in a solar system where all of the planets orbit in the same direction. Famous mathematicians argued that the probability of every planet orbiting in the same direction was so remote that God must have started them all going. After all, the chance of each direction ought to be 50%. Compound that by the planets and asteroids known at the time, and the observed evidence would seem positively amazing. Of course today - apart from knowing that there are moons which do orbit backwards - we have a well-supported theory which describes the planets forming from an accretion disc, which would have been forced to rotate as a whole, and in one direction. The "why" is answered by simple physics, which shows that the 50% assumption was totally unfounded. In actuality, the probability of any body revolving, and especially orbiting against the other is very small.

If that sounds familiar, it's because the same argument, complete with logical fallacies, is used today, except it involves a 747, a junk yard, and a hurricane. Those creationists are so original.

Thus, the assumption that "why" questions can only be answered by "God did it" is, and always has been, absolute bullshit when you actually bother to think about it and utilize science. It may make you sound skeptical, but really it just makes you a dishonest douchebag who can't be bothered to educate yourself.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are a wise man.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
baconeatingatheistjew

Whoneeds, I know he is looking for the philosophical why. That is why philosophy is bullshit.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Here is my response to a Christ-psychotic ignoramus that introduced the Nose as 'evidence" of an intelligent designer"...I had lots of fun with this retard..:lol::lol: I show them Teufel's nose which is hundred times BETTER than any "god " created" human one..:lol:

It never cease to amaze me these insane ignorant retards still on this earth! Why they do not ingest holy cyanide and depart to Christ heaven leaving this SINFUL planet to us mentally healthy folks aka atheists, is beyond me. :lol:

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are a wise man.
Me - wise? - never!
I just took advantage of the atlantic time difference whist you were kipping. :)

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
baconeatingatheistjew wrote
What is the scientific explanation for why tiny random genetic mutations take place all the time? Or is that just a natural occurrence?

I'm hoping someone here will give me the simplest answer so that I can shut this a hole up.
Cosmic radiation.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #14
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
baconeatingatheistjew

Quote:
Gnosital wrote
Quote:
baconeatingatheistjew wrote

Cosmic radiation.
But why is there cosmic radiation? In a philosophical sense of course.