Old 02-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #136
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Given the existence of the universe as we find it, the best explanation is to infer that a Supreme Being created it and sustains its existence.

Once we accept this, I believe we can speculate logically as to the character of this Being and derive the purpose of our lives and thus the best way to live our lives.

I define the Supreme Being as follows: God is the monistic entity of fundamental consciousness.
Holy fucking titty wanks Batman - this talented Poe has just out-Poed all previous Poes by multiple light-years!

Lets debate the existence of god - I'll start.

God exists. He is will & self awareness that existed before the universe, didn’t create himself, is himself, is only himself and he made everything. Agreed?

Good, now I can make up whatever I want about him.

Reming me again why anyone should tortuously engage a brain cell with such a fucking waste of chromosomes.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #137
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post

Ah, so you can make threats of grotesque physical violence, but you can’t even take the heat of being diss’d. I’d be appalled except I see physical cowards all the time. In the U.S. we’d call you a bitch. It’s why U.S. servicemen are always able to steal your women—even if only for a night when they’re TDY.

Ugh. You and these horrible fonts. Do you do this to make it difficult to quote you?

I should let Sol speak for himself, but I'm fairly certain that he is not threatened by your, frankly, lame attempts at insulting him, just like I wasn't threatened when you attempted to make fun of me for being black. And before you deny it, there was no other reason for you to raise the issue of the photograph I chose for my avatar and whether or not I thought the young man in it represented some kind of nobility.

Anyway, we're in a virtual environment where we are, for the most part, anonymous, and, in actuality, physically scattered throughout the globe. So any threats of actual physical violence are superfluous. In other words, they're empty threats. But Sol's was clever (if a bit graphic) and yours were not. The epithets and ridiculously over-the-top, violent imagery that Sol espoused was personally directed at you. You, on the other hand, defamed an entire country by attacking him for being Scottish.

Quote:
Egor wrote
But as an atheist you should respect this, right? The better seed is essential for the evolution of the species. After all, we wouldn’t want your kind of cowardice to be passed on, now would we? Who would stand up to the lions and the bears and all that other natural selection stuff? You train dogs, right? Surely you know what I’m talking about.
No, I don't think anybody here does know what you're talking about 95 percent of them time. How is Sol a coward? Is he running from you?

Check it out: You have presented arguments here that you cannot defend, as it pertains to religion. Now that doesn't mean you're not entitled to hold steadfast to your beliefs, but if you were an honest man, you would concede that you don't actually know what a god is or how it allegedly created anything. There is no crime in that admission, but once you concede that, the conversation is done.

Instead, you remain here, goading us to insult you and then you bitch about it. Seriously, what do you want from us, if you are not a position to tell us what a god is and how it allegedly created a planet or even a grain of sand?

Again, you're entitled to your beliefs, but you are not entitled to attempt to force them on anyone when you cannot adequately explain why others should embrace them. It does not engender goodwill.

Quote:
Egor wrote
So, just remember, if I’m ever in Scotland on a speaking gig or something, I like breakfast in bed: coffee in the morning (not tea) and one of those jelly-belly doughnuts. Oh, and uh, whatever she likes.
Why would Sol even be bothered to look you up? Newsflash: You're just another poster on the Internet. None of this is really personal on a nonvirtual level.

Quote:
Egor wrote

You know, I’ve done this before. There was an atheist who e-mailed with me and we had a serious intellectual debate with mutual respect about the existence of God. As we were going along, he just ducked out of the conversation and came back in here and started up with the same ol’ disrespect-shtick. It was a complete waste of my time.
What kind of serious, intellectual debate can you have with anyone when you can't even define in concrete, coherent language what it is you're promoting? Yes, Egor, it is a complete waste of time "debating" religion, as it is entirely based on faith. Entirely. There is no evidence that can be had for the allegedly supernatural aspects of what you're espousing. If you're fine with that, perhaps you believe. If you're not, you're going to remain a skeptic. End of story.

Quote:
Egor wrote
But what the hell, this is what I’m here for. So here it goes:
Why would you waste your time trading insults with us? Aren't you supposed to be on a more important mission, collecting believers to your cause? Don't you realize by now that your prospects here are slim to none?

What do you think you're going to accomplish here trading empty threats with us? That seems, to me, to be a rather strange and unproductive pursuit for a committed evangelical.

Quote:
Egor wrote
Given the existence of the universe as we find it, the best explanation is to infer that a Supreme Being created it and sustains its existence.
It isn't. And asserting it over and over and over again here is not going to make yours a truthful statement. The fact is, none of us knows enough about the universe to say why it exists. You don't have to believe that, but if you're going to keep asserting the lie that you have a plausible explanation to that mystery, you are going to encounter resistance here.

Pack it up and move on, if you want to do yourself some good. You're not accomplishing anything productive here.

Quote:
Egor wrote
Once we accept this, I believe we can speculate logically as to the character of this Being and derive the purpose of our lives and thus the best way to live our lives.
We don't accept what you're saying and we've told you why. You won't listen. Why don't you just live out your creed someplace where you are not going to be challenged and mocked for it? Wouldn't that make a lot more sense?
Quote:
Egor wrote
I define the Supreme Being as follows: God is the monistic entity of fundamental consciousness.
This is gibberish. It doesn't explain what a god is supposed to be or how it allegedly created anything.

Quote:
Egor wrote
Religiously, I’m a Veridican. A Veridican is a type of Christian who believes that God is monistic in His nature and that the human purpose is to become Christ; Christ being God conscious of Himself from within His creation.
Why do you think atheists care anything about your unfounded beliefs? Believe what makes you happy, but why do it in an environment where it's not going to get a good reception for the sundry reasons that have already been offered to you?

Why not seek out a guillible audience that will embrace you and your message instead of going against the tide of reason here?
Quote:
Egor wrote
I am willing to start a mature dialogue or debate on any of those topics.
You can't have that here, because no one respects you as a person capable of engaging in a mature dialog or debate. You have been given ample opportunity and you've rejected every offer towards that endeavor.

It's really time for you to pack it in, Egor. Right now, you're in a hell of your own making. If this is your preference, then don't complain.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #138
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Ah, so you can make threats of grotesque physical violence, but you can’t even take the heat of being diss’d. I’d be appalled except I see physical cowards all the time. In the U.S. we’d call you a bitch. It’s why U.S. servicemen are always able to steal your women—even if only for a night when they’re TDY.
This is disrespectful to women as it portrays them as objects to be "stolen." I hope this isn't the way you treat the women in your life, Egor.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
But as an atheist you should respect this, right? The better seed is essential for the evolution of the species. After all, we wouldn’t want your kind of cowardice to be passed on, now would we? Who would stand up to the lions and the bears and all that other natural selection stuff? You train dogs, right? Surely you know what I’m talking about.
Honestly, this is the posturing of an adolescent.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
So, just remember, if I’m ever in Scotland on a speaking gig or something, I like breakfast in bed: coffee in the morning (not tea) and one of those jelly-belly doughnuts. Oh, and uh, whatever she likes.
Do you regularly give speaking gigs? About what?

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
You know, I’ve done this before.
So have we. So?

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
There was an atheist who e-mailed with me and we had a serious intellectual debate with mutual respect about the existence of God. As we were going along, he just ducked out of the conversation and came back in here and started up with the same ol’ disrespect-shtick. It was a complete waste of my time.
You complain about disrespect, but are doing it yourself. How about getting back to the discussion?

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
But what the hell, this is what I’m here for. So here it goes:

Given the existence of the universe as we find it, the best explanation is to infer that a Supreme Being created it and sustains its existence. Once we accept this, I believe we can speculate logically as to the character of this Being and derive the purpose of our lives and thus the best way to live our lives.
You've skipped over this: Why should we accept this?

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
OK:

mo·nism (mnzm, mnzm)
n. Philosophy
1. The view in metaphysics that reality is a unified whole and that all existing things can be ascribed to or described by a single concept or system.
2. The doctrine that mind and matter are formed from, or reducible to, the same ultimate substance or principle of being.

Even with a definition the phrase seems vague. Unless you're attempting to say God is a single concept or system. Seriously, without some more specific details, this is impossible to work with.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Religiously, I’m a Veridican. A Veridican is a type of Christian who believes that God is monistic in His nature and that the human purpose is to become Christ; Christ being God conscious of Himself from within His creation.
OK. Veridican. You must have made that term up because it does not come up on a Google search. The rest of the explanation seems to imply that every person is God.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
I am willing to start a mature dialogue or debate on any of those topics.
Then stop strutting around and flashing your biceps and address some of my questions. IF it's OK with you to talk to a woman as an equal.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB

Last edited by Stargazer; 02-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #139
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Astronomers have found a planet within the zone of possible life circling its star.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknap...itable-planet/

You all don't believe in that do you? In fact, I'm sure you would all completely disregard such fantasies as space aliens, right? I would suppose atheists, in fact, remain quite certain that earth is the only planet with life on it in the entire universe--just like medieval people believed.

I am right about that, aren't I?
I sure hope that Jeebus has visited all the other planets with sentient lifeforms! Or else how will their poor alien souls be saved? Oh nos the tradedy!

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #140
orangeitis

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
OK. Veridican. You must have made that term up because it does not come up on a Google search. The rest of the explanation seems to imply that every person is God.
http://www.veridican.com/

Yahoo search ftw!

Christians! Want to convert some atheists? read this!
orangeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #141
psychodiva
I Live Here

that, my dear- is a placer page with nothing on it- I suspect the dolt put it there himself when he first mentioned the word to us some weeks ago and found that we knew he had invented it

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #142
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
orangeitis wrote View Post
http://www.veridican.com/

Yahoo search ftw!
Thanks, Orange. BUT, none of the tabs click through to anything, and I can't read the Latin on the only page that works:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua.

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.

Actually, the one tab that says The Believer's Revolt - isn't that the name of Egor's blog?

And that Latin looks like the default text that appears in a document when I use the word processor Pages on my Mac.

Hmmmm

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 02-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #143
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
that, my dear- is a placer page with nothing on it- I suspect the dolt put it there himself when he first mentioned the word to us some weeks ago and found that we knew he had invented it
Great minds think alike.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #144
psychodiva
I Live Here

oh- and to jump in while I remember- he may mean a word derived from the latin veritas - vera or veridic meaning 'truth' (well loosely) and is a term used to 'describe' some religious beliefs but has not to my knowledge become and actual religion

Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #145
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Thanks, Orange. BUT, none of the tabs click through to anything, and I can't read the Latin on the only page that works:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua.

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.

Actually, the one tab that says The Believer's Revolt - isn't that the name of Egor's blog?

And that Latin looks like the default text that appears in a document when I use the word processor Pages on my Mac.

Hmmmm
lol yes - only its not real latin

Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #146
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
oh- and to jump in while I remember- he may mean a word derived from the latin veritas - vera or veridic meaning 'truth' (well loosely) and is a term used to 'describe' some religious beliefs but has not to my knowledge become and actual religion
Even with that information his definition does not really compute.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #147
psychodiva
I Live Here

well- it can be as it describes what the page would look like or can be but still not 'real' real lol

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #148
psychodiva
I Live Here

and one of these days i will finish typing a thought in one fucking post!!!! sorry

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #149
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
well- it can be as it describes what the page would look like or can be but still not 'real' real lol
Either way, it makes no sense.

Looks like a hastily created web page to support a term he just made up?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #150
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor, as Edward, posted this on another forum before he was banned from it:

Quote:
Eward wrote
I can't do it. I've tried. I've tried to be an atheist, but it doesn't work. I'm not a Christian, and I'm not an atheist. I believe in God as our Father (even if that is a dualistic metaphor I have to cling to in order to understand God) and I believe that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life.

I am not a Christian, however, because Christians aren't what they say they are. They are, in fact, Judeo-Christians. That means, the religion they practice is a combination of Judaism and the teachings of Jesus Christ.

In the New Testament, you have the Gospels, and then you have the Acts and the various letters and the book of Hebrews. The Gospels are what I'm about. The rest of it is just a bunch of people who couldn't live according to teachings of Jesus Christ and needed a greater sense of order (Jesus taken alone is very anarchistic, extremely judgmental, totally black-and-white, anti-world, anti-wealth, faith over reason, etc., not conducive at all to a long life on ol' planet Earth.).

So, I am a Veridican. Veridical (true) -an (a follower of) = Veridican (a follower of the truth).

I tend to think religion is the leading cause of insanity. But what the hell.

Now, I will have to open up my can of whoop-ass theism in here. You can ban me, of course. But what fun would that be?
Otherwise, Veridican doesn't appear to be recognized as a Christian denomination by anyone else on the planet.

I suspect Egor is just an eccentric and lonely attention-seeker, trolling the Internet for just a sliver of validation that the world notices he exists.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote