Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #46
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
dano14 wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Damn. A "super fundy Christian" with one post comes back two years later and is now a ______________.

Care to fill in the blank for us?
Atheist.:)
Congrats on having the intellectual fortitude and honesty to make that hard journey, dano.

Quote:
SuX0rZ wrote
Id like to take a moment to let you all know that i take ENTIRELY ALL credit for dano's revelation.
Then, uh...congrats on dano having the intellectual fortitude and honesty to make that hard journey, SuX0rZ.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:40 PM   #47
dano14

Quote:
hannahasbury1 wrote
Quote:
dano14 wrote
Ohh.... I have to hear this story. So what life changing event made you change your mind?
Well, I joined here to debate a friend who had recently turned atheist. We had a lot of very long arguments about god, etc. Well, this got me all riled up to defend Christianity. So I started researching apologetics and such like crazy (I was also in a Christian school at the time). Well, slowly I began to lose faith the more and more I learned, but you know, I couldn't really admit it to myself.

That fall I was going to Honduras for some missions trip thing where I was all pumped up to renew my faith because I was gonna see miracle healings and all that jazz. However, on the way there, while I was looking out the plane window it just hit me, "There is no god." I tried to supress that thought but I couldn't.

I get to the "mission field" and see absolutley nothing miraculous. Shit goes down just like it would have with or without a god. It took about another half year after that (I browsed exchristian.net a lot during this time) for me to really admit to myself I no longer believed, but it was on that plane to Honduras that I truly came to my senses.

That's the much simplified version anyways.

Sorry for de-railing the thread.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #48
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
dano14 wrote
Quote:
hannahasbury1 wrote
Quote:
dano14 wrote
Ohh.... I have to hear this story. So what life changing event made you change your mind?
Well, I joined here to debate a friend who had recently turned atheist. We had a lot of very long arguments about god, etc. Well, this got me all riled up to defend Christianity. So I started researching apologetics and such like crazy (I was also in a Christian school at the time). Well, slowly I began to lose faith the more and more I learned, but you know, I couldn't really admit it to myself.

That fall I was going to Honduras for some missions trip thing where I was all pumped up to renew my faith because I was gonna see miracle healings and all that jazz. However, on the way there, while I was looking out the plane window it just hit me, "There is no god." I tried to supress that thought but I couldn't.

I get to the "mission field" and see absolutley nothing miraculous. Shit goes down just like it would have with or without a god. It took about another half year after that (I browsed exchristian.net a lot during this time) for me to really admit to myself I no longer believed, but it was on that plane to Honduras that I truly came to my senses.

That's the much simplified version anyways.

Sorry for de-railing the thread.
Perhaps you are aware that the radiation levels at high altitude can cause mental flashes of truth even while they are trying to fry your reproductive system.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote