Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
missgreengreen
New Member!

Was anyone as excited about this as I was?

So I poked around a bit and couldn't find a thread dealing with this particular topic. If you guys have already discussed it, I do apologize. About a month ago, a team of Russian scientists broke through ice in Antarctica into a lake that hasn't seen daylight in more than 10 million years.
BBC News- Lake Vostok
As if that wasn't cool enough, once I heard about this story, I started hearing people talk about Europa (one of Jupiter's moons). Long story short, it's supposed to be one of the most likely places in our solar system for life to evolve. I have been just crazy about Europa for about 15 years when I first heard about it on my first trip to the Air & Space Smithsonian in Washington DC. And now scientists are starting to get excited about it again because since Antarctica's conditions are so brutal and the ice is so thick, the techniques they're using to study Lake Vostok could actually be used to one day study Europa. Couple this with Neil deGrasse Tyson being everywhere and I suddenly want to go to Space Camp. I know it's silly. Anyone else geek out over this?

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion. -Arthur C. Clarke
missgreengreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
missgreengreen wrote View Post
So I poked around a bit and couldn't find a thread dealing with this particular topic. If you guys have already discussed it, I do apologize. About a month ago, a team of Russian scientists broke through ice in Antarctica into a lake that hasn't seen daylight in more than 10 million years.
BBC News- Lake Vostok
As if that wasn't cool enough, once I heard about this story, I started hearing people talk about Europa (one of Jupiter's moons). Long story short, it's supposed to be one of the most likely places in our solar system for life to evolve. I have been just crazy about Europa for about 15 years when I first heard about it on my first trip to the Air & Space Smithsonian in Washington DC. And now scientists are starting to get excited about it again because since Antarctica's conditions are so brutal and the ice is so thick, the techniques they're using to study Lake Vostok could actually be used to one day study Europa. Couple this with Neil deGrasse Tyson being everywhere and I suddenly want to go to Space Camp. I know it's silly. Anyone else geek out over this?
Yes, I have to admit to a lifelong fascination with such things. Hence my moniker......

Very cool link.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Eva
Super Moderator

it's my fave smith!! been there, like, 4 times. and i'm taking the kid there next week. gotta start him early. i've been fascinated by this since like 4th grade. my science book had like a special chapter on space travel in the back, and it was AWESOME. like 25 pages full of pics, really good explanations, a good section about cosmonauts and the russian space program (remember, i was reading this while the cold war was still on) and descriptions of all the missions.

i credit that 4th grade science book for starting me into the path to atheism. you read about shit like that and it's on.

and, yes, europa has always been the coolest moon.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Really cool personal perception, Eva, Awesome!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Tor_Hershman
New Member!

There too much life here on Earth;
we spend a third of our time trying to kill, or not be killed by, life.
Let's start buildin' goovin' automatons.
Tor_Hershman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
missgreengreen
New Member!

That picture makes me think of that robot chicken episode where the scientist rolls out the first android and the first question from the audience is "Can you fuck it?"

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion. -Arthur C. Clarke
missgreengreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

If it was designed in Japan the answer is probably yes.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

I like to think you can fuck anything that doesn't say no, all that matters is how good it is.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
I like to think you can fuck anything that doesn't say no, all that matters is how good it is.
Sounds like the best argument in favour of beastiality I have heard in a while.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Don't forget wanking ....

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Nah, don't work. Without apposable thumbs there no good at it.

Unless your on about wanking yourself off? In which case, I often object to my own sexual advances, quite often when alone the neighbours will here 'get off me you ugly fucker' or 'no no no don't you fucking dare stick that there'. Alas, I am such a horny fucker that I never listen to myself.

I would report myself to the police for abuse but I'm a sneaky bastard and somehow manage to still perform aforementioned molestations even when in jail, so what's the point?

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!