Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Renegade
New Member!

Question A confusing (to me) question about Religion & Cultural Heritage

Hey everyone,

Back after a VERY long time to the forum :-)

There's a question or argument really that has bothered me for some time now (which is how I recalled I was a member here).

Some background:
The burqa is considered to the symbol of discrimination against women in general. On the other hand, some Muslim women who do wear the burqa (especially in places where they are trying to ban it) say that they don't see it as discrimination but as a part of their cultural heritage etc.

My question:
What confuses me is if it's actually part of the culture or a way to discriminate built into the religion (I have nothing against Islam particularly. I am just against all religions).

Would they still be wearing it if it had not been passed to their generation by the previous ones as a 'necessary' way of doing things?

The confusion is: is this an actual choice they are making? Given an actual choice, would these women actually have chosen to wear it?

What do you think of this? Would really like some direction
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

It is a way for an alien community to establish authority within the host nation. Religion, culture can both be used, after all they are one and the same really. As long as the host bends over backwards to accept what is being flung at it, those flinging will find more ammo. Let me try and send my son to school in a clown costume, due to his great uncle Alfreds lifestyle as a travelling carnival performer.

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Davin
Obsessed Member

Would they still be wearing it if it had not been passed to their generation by the previous ones as a 'necessary' way of doing things?

The confusion is: is this an actual choice they are making? Given an actual choice, would these women actually have chosen to wear it?

Same answer to both: some likely would and some will likely always.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote