Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
Choobus
I Live Here

The forums used to have lots of cool links to new developments on science and such. I thought it might be good to have a thread just for this:

here are a few comments on christers and the science. However, the point of this thread is links and discussions about new science

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
GaryM

http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...er-closer.html

Quote:
New Scientist wrote
A "spark plug" that should trigger nuclear fusion in a pellet of hydrogen every 10 seconds is being tested by Russian and US researchers. The device fires an intense pulse of electricity – half a million amps and one hundred thousand volts. It has just completed preliminary testing at Sandia National Laboratories' "Z Machine" facility in New Mexico, US. Researchers hope the component could help narrow the gap between the fusion technique being used there and the one that currently leads the field. Some experts are sceptical about its chances, however
Old 04-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
Choobus
I Live Here

one of my long term research goals is to use a gamma ray laser to start a fusion reactor. One day...

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
bryantee

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0426145103.htm

Cool article about how dogs have been found to selectively imitate behavior. I guess it's not ground breaking, controversial or anything of that nature, but interesting none-the-less.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #5
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Whilst I welcome any news & discussion related to new science, I remain concerned with layman perception of how complex and detailed works are communicated effectively.

This sums up the "problem"

As god-punchers often sit within the lowest common denominator group - the scientist has to judge and balance carefully how he works with writers and presents his stuff if he is ever to engage their unquestioning brains.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote
As god-punchers often sit within the lowest common denominator group - the scientist has to judge and balance carefully how he works with writers and presents his stuff if he is ever to engage their unquestioning brains.
I think there's a distinction that should be made between the God Chuggers and LCDs. First, LCDs -- the ones who are really part of the readership we're talking about here -- aren't really 'lowest' compared with the broader universe of all readers, because while we're talking about laymen, they at least have some interest in science. A (mainstream) science writer assumes that much. Second, (some) God Chuggers are not just disinterested in science, but many have an active antipathy towards it because it so often threatens their pathetic little paradigm.

I don't know whether these groups -- the real LCDs and science-hatin' Godbots -- should even be considered by either scientists or mainstream writers or other conduits of info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Gathercole

I have, not news, but a science question for anyone who's studied quantum mechanics. Does the Copenhagen Interpretation really say that "consciousness" is a special phenomenon with physical effects? I don't understand all this business about wavefronts collapsing and what is supposed to cause that. I always thought that single-particle double-slit interference was explained by wave-particle duality, not by some kind of consciousness magic. Could someone tell me what's going on?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote
one of my long term research goals is to use a gamma ray laser to start a fusion reactor. One day...
Damn, if I had the money, I'd give you a grant. But not because I care about fusion. It would be worth it to see a Choobus press conference.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Erik

One of my favorite sites has to be Carl Zimmer's "Loom": http://www.scienceblogs.com/loom/. Great summaries of new findings, and on occasion, he just trashes the creationists.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Choobus
I Live Here

Thanks Erik, that site looks interesting. I shall check it out.

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
bryantee wrote
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0426145103.htm
Cool article about how dogs have been found to selectively imitate behavior. I guess it's not ground breaking, controversial or anything of that nature, but interesting none-the-less.
Actually, it is a bit ground-breaking. I don't know how much "theory of mind" dogs are supposed to have, but I think it's pretty low. At some level, the dogs must be thinking, "Well, I'd use my mouth for that, but she's got a tennis ball in her mouth, that's why she's using her paw..." Which is pretty fucking cool, IMHO.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
bryantee

Quote:
Gathercole wrote
I have, not news, but a science question for anyone who's studied quantum mechanics. Does the Copenhagen Interpretation really say that "consciousness" is a special phenomenon with physical effects? I don't understand all this business about wavefronts collapsing and what is supposed to cause that. I always thought that single-particle double-slit interference was explained by wave-particle duality, not by some kind of consciousness magic. Could someone tell me what's going on?
I think it's just hypothetical, like Schrödinger Cat. I bet Choob can answer that for you.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #13
Choobus
I Live Here

What Gatrhercole is really talking about is sometimes called the "measurement problem". A quantum system is described by a wavefunction which can exist in a linear superposition of states, but if you measure the system it can only actually be in one state, so when that superposition is shown to be one single state the wavefunction is said to collapse (to that state). The question is then what causes this collapse? Is it the measurement process? Does the system actually comprise a true superposition in the first place? The famous cat thought experiment addresses this matter. The Copenhagen interpretation basically says "fuck it, who cares, only measurable quantities are real, the rest is irrelevent". This is a pragmatic approach that leaves some people uneasy, because all the data suggest that the superposition of states is very real: particles CAN be in two places at once, they are not discrete objects but really do exist as de-localised probability distributions. Consciousness has fuck all to do with it. Quantum decoherance requires only an interaction with a macroscopic system, so it doesn't matter if the measurement is made by a human or a computer or a christian; the results are the same. As for the double slits experiment, it is explained by wave particle duality, but only in the sense that as a wave a particle can be spatially de-localised, and hence create a single particle interference pattern. The amazing part is that the interference pattern goes away if you measure where the particle isn't, which means that you collapse the wavefunction not by measuring the particle direclty, but by limiting the places where it could be. This is the essence of quantum physics and makes no sense at all, but it is absolutely correct.

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #14
GaryM

Quote:
Choobus wrote
This is the essence of quantum physics and makes no sense at all, but it is absolutely correct.
Yep. There's 50 ways to leave your lover, and at least 13 ways to interpret quantum physics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpr...ntum_mechanics
Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Method21

Wow, Choobus, I'm impressed. That site is fantastic. And I thought you were just another basterd... :thumbsup: