Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #751
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Funny, but I've never felt the urge to rape or kill anyone for any reason, much less because they didn't agree with me. What kind of fucked up mind goes right to rape and murder (and a gruesome crucifixtion, no less) because one's vanity is not being flattered?

One of these cretins even complained that she was tired of atheists taking away her rights. I wonder what rights she think she's entitled to that atheists have taken away? Her right to lord her presumed authority over other people to whom she feels superior?

Man, there are some scary folks out there.
I agree, and I have to say, I am saddened and sickened by these comments. These are the kind of people whom in the dark/middle ages gleefully cheered while "heretics" were brutally tortured to death. And as you already said, no matter how much I hate these folks, or at least the way they think, I could never be happy about watching any of these people be tortured, raped, or killed...and I would even fight to stop this from happening. But apparently, such people would gleefully watch me suffer. How can they call themselves worshipers of a man/god whom they say commands compassion and forgiveness to all "sinners"? I find the hypocrisy of such people enraging.

Even in our supposedly modern society, it seems like we are really not so far away from witch burnings. I find this equally astounding and disturbing, in light of the fantastic knowledge we have gained about our natural world, as well as the technological advancements we have achieved as a species and in our society in particular, in these past couple of decades. Even being raised in the light and privilege of our society, too many of us are still stuck in stone age mentality, which is baffling to me. I fear it will be our undoing.

But ironically, or paradoxically, it occurs to me that such reactionary people might believe that it is scientific knowledge and technological progress that will be our undoing. Do they really believe in a vengeful and evil god who will punish our society for disbelief and thereby them? What is it that makes them so hateful toward people who challenge their belief system? Why is it that they insist that everyone agree with their world view? Why can't they just believe what they want to believe, without getting so angry when others don't share their beliefs? Is it fear of death, and the thought that they might have to consider that they will not continue in some fairytale afterlife? Or is it some ingrained genetic programing that drives us to hegemony, like an innate fear of strangers or some tribal survival trait left over from prehistoric times? Perhaps they are just miserable unhappy people who feel cheated by modern society, and need a scapegoat.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #752
Irreligious
I Live Here

Ghoulie, I'm not a psychologist, obviously, but I'm going to guess that the signs you posted are a projection of these people's fears. They're the ones who are preoccuppied with humanity's carnal side and, apparently, their own fantasies and predilections disturb them. I think they've been trained over a lifetime to project those fears onto others.

As for the sign about evolution negating any need to help the poor, I find that revealing, as well. It seems to me, the proponents of its sentiments are saying the only reason they have for helping the poor is a fear of eternal torment. Otherwise, they'd be free to behave in as selfish and ruthless a manner as they pleased.

Several theists posters here have expressed the belief that the folks here, lacking their particular faith, must be complete hedonists with no rules to live by. They don't seem to be able to fathom other people having fears or motivations that are different from theirs. Nor do they seem to be willing to grant them that right.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #753
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Being a cynical git, I wonder if the signs were spotted here?

On the other hand, there really could be some very sick fucks in this world. Hmmm.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #754
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
But ironically, or paradoxically, it occurs to me that such reactionary people might believe that it is scientific knowledge and technological progress that will be our undoing. Do they really believe in a vengeful and evil god who will punish our society for disbelief and thereby them? What is it that makes them so hateful toward people who challenge their belief system? Why is it that they insist that everyone agree with their world view? Why can't they just believe what they want to believe, without getting so angry when others don't share their beliefs? Is it fear of death, and the thought that they might have to consider that they will not continue in some fairytale afterlife? Or is it some ingrained genetic programing that drives us to hegemony, like an innate fear of strangers or some tribal survival trait left over from prehistoric times? Perhaps they are just miserable unhappy people who feel cheated by modern society, and need a scapegoat.
Right off the top, believers are told, in the starkest, most terrible terms, that curiosity, any attempt to acquire knowledge is THE sinful disobedience and faithlessness. (Genesis) Later, and in horrendous variation, they are told to migrate through existing nations; to seek out and utterly destroy believers in any other deities, entire other wrongly believing neighboring communities (a spooky premonition of theists coming to our forum); to savagely murder entire nations under direct command of their own imaginary deity.

Believers are not permitted to accept the right of others to believe differently than they do and they are under orders to force conformance. It is only the fact that most believers are very weak and actually obey these mandates that makes the great majority of believers moderate, nice, honorable, peaceful good people. Believers who do observe and act on the clear teachings of their sacred texts, just because they are thankfully rare, are called radical fundamentalists, who blow shit up. They are the "true" Christians, Jews and Muslims in the mainstream of their religions as defined in their own texts.

Before a believer protests that those genocidal commands were only for the ancient Jews to keep them together and to survive as a people (itself a goal the value of which has never been explained to me. Jewish culture doesn't seem much better or worse than some others that were lost over the centuries) and that they are no longer in force, having been rescinded by Jesus (immediately following His promise not to rescind them).

The principle remains that "evil" people, those who believe differently, whether found within the believing community or neighboring it, will taint the whole group and cause God to either harm them or withhold protection from harm. See Fallwell on the human wrong belief as primary cause of hurricane damage.

Never let it be said that any one of these monstrous religions promotes peace, freedom or tolerance.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #755
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Ghoulie, I'm not a psychologist, obviously, but I'm going to guess that the signs you posted are a projection of these people's fears. They're the ones who are preoccuppied with humanity's carnal side and, apparently, their own fantasies and predilections disturb them. I think they've been trained over a lifetime to project those fears onto others.

As for the sign about evolution negating any need to help the poor, I find that revealing, as well. It seems to me, the proponents of its sentiments are saying the only reason they have for helping the poor is a fear of eternal torment. Otherwise, they'd be free to behave in as selfish and ruthless a manner as they pleased.

Several theists posters here have expressed the belief that the folks here, lacking their particular faith, must be complete hedonists with no rules to live by. They don't seem to be able to fathom other people having fears or motivations that are different from theirs. Nor do they seem to be willing to grant them that right.
It's the byproduct of an evil system of brainwashing that produces broken minds, isn't it? What's the point of a magical sky daddy who can't give us some pointers on how to be happier and better people? The Christ cultists need to believe that their god is the source of all good. Without that, all they have is their pseudo cannibalism, self-righteousness, and hypocrisy.

Accept His love now, or burn in Hell forever!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #756
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Right off the top, believers are told, in the starkest, most terrible terms, that curiosity, any attempt to acquire knowledge is THE sinful disobedience and faithlessness. (Genesis) Later, and in horrendous variation, they are told to migrate through existing nations; to seek out and utterly destroy believers in any other deities, entire other wrongly believing neighboring communities (a spooky premonition of theists coming to our forum); to savagely murder entire nations under direct command of their own imaginary deity.

Believers are not permitted to accept the right of others to believe differently than they do and they are under orders to force conformance. It is only the fact that most believers are very weak and actually obey these mandates that makes the great majority of believers moderate, nice, honorable, peaceful good people. Believers who do observe and act on the clear teachings of their sacred texts, just because they are thankfully rare, are called radical fundamentalists, who blow shit up. They are the "true" Christians, Jews and Muslims in the mainstream of their religions as defined in their own texts.

Before a believer protests that those genocidal commands were only for the ancient Jews to keep them together and to survive as a people (itself a goal the value of which has never been explained to me. Jewish culture doesn't seem much better or worse than some others that were lost over the centuries) and that they are no longer in force, having been rescinded by Jesus (immediately following His promise not to rescind them).

The principle remains that "evil" people, those who believe differently, whether found within the believing community or neighboring it, will taint the whole group and cause God to either harm them or withhold protection from harm. See Fallwell on the human wrong belief as primary cause of hurricane damage.

Never let it be said that any one of these monstrous religions promotes peace, freedom or tolerance.
Knowledge leads to enlightenment. Enlightenment leads to reality. Where would imaginary gods be if people were enlightened?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #757
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Being a cynical git, I wonder if the signs were spotted here?

On the other hand, there really could be some very sick fucks in this world. Hmmm.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #758
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #759
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Madalyn Murray O'Hair

"An atheist believes that a hospital
should be built instead of a church.
An atheist believes that deed must
be done instead of prayer said.
An atheist strives for involvement in life
and not escape into death.
He wants disease conquered,
poverty vanished, war eliminated."

— Madalyn Murray O'Hair

"This religion gives you goals which are outside of reality. It enriches your fantasy life with ugliness. It fills you with ideas of guilt over the most common human experiences -- usually related to sex. In this room, right now, each of you, in your own lives, has agonized over the fact that you have masturbated. Masturbation isn't sinful. If it feels good -- do it. You have my blessing, and you yourself know how it relaxes you."

— Madalyn Murray O'Hair

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

— Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #760
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #761
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #762
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #763
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #764
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #765
ghoulslime
I Live Here