Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #1396
happywarrior

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
I do not say what you should believe. Whatever gets you through the night sweats is fine.

When we discuss a topic, it is more effective to state points in direct terms; "For these reasons free will is an illusion", for example than to always include the wordy disclaimer as in "of course we all are free to believe whatever we wish about this topic, but on a formal or logical or scientific basis, free will is an illusion if certain conditions are true".
I think the issue then becomes, which conditions are true vs which conditions are scientifically provable.

If we do not have free will, then. . . . are you saying that all our decisions are based on chemical reactions in the brain etc. ?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #1397
Choobus
I Live Here

We can probably never prove (or disprove) that we have free will, especially if we don't.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #1398
happywarrior

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
We can probably never prove (or disprove) that we have free will, especially if we don't.
Well, . . . let's say that you don't have free will, then some condition must exist that has placed perameters on our ability to make independent decisions. Can we speculate as to what that condition might be?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #1399
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
happywarrior wrote View Post
Well, . . . let's say that you don't have free will, then some condition must exist that has placed perameters on our ability to make independent decisions. Can we speculate as to what that condition might be?
Well, let's say the parameters are dynamically assigned first.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #1400
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
No.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #1401
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Only if its our destiny to speculate.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #1402
happywarrior

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Well, let's say the parameters are dynamically assigned first.
By what means?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #1403
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
By what means?
By circumstance.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #1404
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
I think the issue then becomes, which conditions are true vs which conditions are scientifically provable.

If we do not have free will, then. . . . are you saying that all our decisions are based on chemical reactions in the brain etc. ?
Can you engage in a behavior of which your brain is not capable? If so, please submit yourself to the nearest fMRI for further study, and you may be able to "prove" the existence of free will.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 AM   #1405
WickFut

Quote:
The layout of neurons in the brain based on previous experiences in life and the fact that electricity always follows the path of least resistance.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #1406
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:

Where else? How else? Love is an electro-chemical phenomenon as is fear, for example.

It is easy to demonstrate major effects of chemicals on the way we think and imagine and behave. We use general anesthetic to curtail thought and sense altogether as a practical application of chemical effects in the brain. Wanna hang out with God? A selection of potions will let you do just that.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #1407
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
We will still have to try to prove that we have free will precisely because we don't.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #1408
josephpalazzo

We don't have free will, 'coz everytime I use it, I end up paying through the nose...
Old 08-06-2008, 05:24 AM   #1409
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
josephpalazzo wrote View Post
We don't have free will, 'coz everytime I use it, I end up paying through the nose...
Precisely. And, regarding our free will to commit a sin, the only way to demonstrate that we have this free will and are not just robots (God is supposed to hate robots, so, take that, Sony) is to commit a sin.

The more free will you have, the more you must sin to show it.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #1410
josephpalazzo

Hey, I'm willing to sin... as long as it's not heavy on my wallet...