Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Groundhog's day

After browsing through the posts here it seems many regulars go over the same arguments again and again and again and again and again....
How can so many here dedicate such a lot of their free time to negate something they can’t either define or conceptualize? Or is that your point? If so, the lady doth protest too much, methinks.
selliedjoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Your thread title is perfect.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Professor Chaos

Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Professor Chaos

Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote View Post
After browsing through the posts here it seems many regulars go over the same arguments again and again and again and again and again....
How can so many here dedicate such a lot of their free time to negate something they can’t either define or conceptualize? Or is that your point? If so, the lady doth protest too much, methinks.
We argue the same points again and again and again because theists keep coming here making the same unfounded assertions again and again and again.

We could just let them preach unfettered, but that would defeat the point of a raving atheist forum, which is to challenge the unfounded assertions various theist come here to make again and again and again.

It is time-consuming, both for us and our theist playmates. But what's it to you how we spend our time if we're not keeping you from spending your time how you wish to spend it? Some of us atheists here are trying to get theists to define and conceptualize what it they think we all should believe in.

I, personally, want to know how some of them define their god and how others came to conceive of this alleged entity as a magic white man who created and rules the universe? And, yeah, I protest at the loony answers they give. Perhaps, too much by your reckoning.

But what's it to you? I don't bother them when they're not here.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Professor Chaos

Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
nkb
He who walks among the theists

If it really is that sad sack Jerry, why is this username not banned?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

His original account was a victim of Chris's recent cull, so I suppose he's entirely ok to re-join, albeit still posting gibbering garbage.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Jimble

Quote:
If 90% of the world believed in the almighty Unicorn who doth judge us all.. wouldn't you disbelieve, whilst finding it hard to conceptualise the various, mutually incompatible versions of the Unicorn the tens of thousands of Unicorn worshipping cults define?
Just because we can't disprove it doesn't mean it exists.
Just because we find it hard to take seriously and or define, doesn't mean it isn't a fiction.

You don't have the right not to be offended.
Jimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Jimble wrote View Post
If 90% of the world believed in the almighty Unicorn who doth judge us all.. wouldn't you disbelieve, whilst finding it hard to conceptualise the various, mutually incompatible versions of the Unicorn the tens of thousands of Unicorn worshipping cults define?
Just because we can't disprove it doesn't mean it exists.
Just because we find it hard to take seriously and or define, doesn't mean it isn't a fiction.
So 90% of the world thinks something you don’t agree with, so you rant on a forum about how stupid they are? I think most people have ridiculous views on all forms of topics yet I don’t take the time to post on a forum outlining why they’re stupid. Never the twain shall meet.

What intrigues me is why many here have an intrinsic need to lambast religion and gods.

Is it cathartic payback for an upbringing which involved heavy religious indoctrination?

Have you attributed many atrocities committed to be solely on the basis of religion?

Is it your logical duty to show the 90% why they’re wrong?

Seriously, why do you bother?

It seems bizarre that you spend your free time denouncing something you can't define.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
We argue the same points again and again and again because theists keep coming here making the same unfounded assertions again and again and again.

We could just let them preach unfettered, but that would defeat the point of a raving atheist forum, which is to challenge the unfounded assertions various theist come here to make again and again and again.

It is time-consuming, both for us and our theist playmates. But what's it to you how we spend our time if we're not keeping you from spending your time how you wish to spend it? Some of us atheists here are trying to get theists to define and conceptualize what it they think we all should believe in.

I, personally, want to know how some of them define their god and how others came to conceive of this alleged entity as a magic white man who created and rules the universe? And, yeah, I protest at the loony answers they give. Perhaps, too much by your reckoning.

But what's it to you? I don't bother them when they're not here.
You know Thiests are going to keep coming. If they didn't you'd go.

What fascinates me is why you're willing to spend a reasonable amount of time over a prolonged period of time, just to reiterate the same things over and over and over - albeit to different thiests (which seems to be the only variable in the equation).

What motivates you to do this? Why don't you get bored by it?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
You know Thiests are going to keep coming. If they didn't you'd go.
You're quite wrong. Theists are an occasional feature here. When they give up and go, I'm still here.

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote
What fascinates me is why you're willing to spend a reasonable amount of time over a prolonged period of time, just to reiterate the same things over and over and over - albeit to different thiests (which seems to be the only variable in the equation).

What motivates you to do this? Why don't you get bored by it?
Obviously, I enjoy these exchanges and others that I have here. Does it need to be any more complicated than that? If there's no Jesus people to banter with, well, I chat and argue with the other atheists here about things other than Jesus stuff.

And why do you care how I spend my time?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
You're quite wrong. Theists are an occasional feature here. When they give up and go, I'm still here.

Obviously, I enjoy these exchanges and others that I have here. Does it need to be any more complicated than that? If there's no Jesus people to banter with, well, I chat and argue with the other atheists here about things other than Jesus stuff.
You come to an raving atheist forum to discuss ‘other than jesus stuff’, is the same as someone else going to a raving anti-Semite forum to discuss ‘other than jew stuff’.

Quote:
And why do you care how I spend my time?
Care doesn’t come into it. Logically, spending free time to negate something you can’t define with the same arguments isn’t rewarding to a sane person. I can only assume that there is some implicit emotional need fulfilled.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
You come to an raving atheist forum to discuss ‘other than jesus stuff’, is the same as someone else going to a raving anti-Semite forum to discuss ‘other than jew stuff’.
So, I'm like an anti-Semite to you, huh? Well, you're like an anti-Semite to me, too.

What do you sugget we do about that?

Should you and I try to make peace with each other? Or should we just accept that we both see each other as "like anti-Semites," and leave it at that? I stay out of your church and/or religious forums, and you stay out this forum?

Which is most expedient for the both us, do you think? I'm perfectly fine with not stalking you wherever it is you choose to hang out in your spare time. What about you? Would you be fine with not stalking us?

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote
Care doesn’t come into it. Logically, spending free time to negate something you can’t define with the same arguments isn’t rewarding to a sane person. I can only assume that there is some implicit emotional need fulfilled.
So, you think I'm nuts, as well? I hope it doesn't come as any surprise to you to learn that I also think that you're insane, Jerry. We've already spent several posts on another thread you created here, arguing back and forth with no apparent meeting of the minds. I could just as easily ask you why you would want to continue to defend an alleged something that you've never been successful at defining, yourself. In fact, I've already done that. To no avail, of course.

But, you know what? I don't really care about what drives your madness. Nor do I understand why you're asking me about my idosyncrasies if you don't really give a shit about them. It doesn't make sense to me, but I can live without knowing why. How about you? Can you live elsewhere-- preferably-- without knowing how I or anyone else here ticks?

Edited

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Last edited by Irreligious; 11-30-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

[quote=Irreligious;623362]
Quote:
So, I'm like an anti-Semite to you, huh? Well, you're like an anti-Semite to me, too.

What do you sugget we do about that?

Should you and I try to make peace with each other? Or should we just accept that we both see each other as "like anti-Semites," and leave it at that? I stay out of your church and/or religious forums, and you stay out this forum?
I suggest that things remain as they are, as that is what will happen. I will continue to assert that many here have a chip on their shoulder re: gods/religions.

It's funny that no one here seems to 'buy' that I'm not religious and don't go to Church. Maybe it suits your view to present this perspective as I don't fit into a box you understand.

Quote:
Which is most expedient for the both us, do you think? I'm perfectly fine with not stalking you wherever it is you choose to hang out in your spare time. What about you? Would you be fine with not stalking us?
Does having a different view constitute stalking? I could take the easy route and sourround myself with like-minded people and berate the 'other', but that's just a little too safe/easy/boring for my tastes. If that's what works for you, fine, but someone not doing what you prefer to do is not stalking.

Can you stalk a forum?

Quote:
So, you think I'm nuts, as well? I hope it doesn't come as any surprise to you to learn that I also think that you're insane, Jerry. We've already spent several posts on another thread you created here, arguing back and forth to no avail or any apparent meeting of the minds. I could just as easily ask you why you would want to continue to argue about something that you've never been successful at defining, yourself.

But, you know what? I don't really care about what drives your madness. Nor do I understand why you're asking me about my idosyncrasies if you don't really give a shit about them. It doesn't make sense to me, but I can live without knowing why. How about you? Can you live elsewhere-- preferably-- without knowing how I or anyone else here ticks?
So I need to care about you to really understand?

I see you guys as a circus attraction of freaks, not because you're atheists, but because of your vast and consistent mutual efforts to negate something you can't define. Most would say that's a little freaky.

I like to come along here, mostly when I need to refocus for work, and poke a stick at the nutbags. So, I don't think there's anywhere for 'us' to go.

Can you suggest a place for me to go?