Old 11-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #46
ElPerroIndfidel

Sam,

I am grateful for the opportunity to be in on this discussion/Q&A session, and I thank you. I'd also like to demonstrate appreciation for your writings on the topics at hand because they helped me through a difficult time in my life, and helped me to understand the reasons why I wasn't happy in the make believe world I'd been raised in. I'm hopeful that you'll see my question later.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #47
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Conversely, JU Mike asks:

Which argument for theism do you find the most difficult to refute, and what would be your response to that argument?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Old 11-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #48
Sam Harris

General comment on arguing (with anyone about anything) -- you almost never get the pleasure of seeing that you won the argument in real time. People just don't like to publicly change their minds. They change their minds in private.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #49
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

True

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #50
Professor Chaos

I own The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation; I really liked them. They made a great influence on my atheism.

I have found people who call you a fundamentalist atheist. I personally find it ridiculous, though I would still like to know your opinions on this idea.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #51
WahooRye

The comment on arguing is dead on. I think Benjamin Franklin had an outstanding debating technique. He would ask questions of his opponent in as non-confrontational a way as possible and really try and make the other person think about what they were saying instead of attacking their thoughts dead on. He would also ask questions that couldn't be answered without refuting your point. It's a tough skill to master, but one worth experimenting with.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #52
Sam Harris

Best argument for theism? Hmm... I suppose it must the anthropic principle. Nature's constants are so finely tuned so as to hospitable for life. I think the idea of a multiverse--where nature's constants change from universe to universe is a good answer to this (and far more parsimonious than a deity). But the other answer (and totally honest) is that we just don't understand why the constants of nature are the way they are, and the notion of a designer God is gratuitous (and in need of its own explanation).

Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #53
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
Sam Harris wrote
General comment on arguing (with anyone about anything) -- you almost never get the pleasure of seeing that you won the argument in real time. People just don't like to publicly change their minds. They change their minds in private.
This is the most excellent reason I can think of for atheists to come out of the closet and be polite but firm in expressing our worldviews.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #54
Professor Chaos

I own The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation; I really liked them. They made a great influence on my atheism.

I have found people who call you a fundamentalist atheist. I personally find it ridiculous, though I would still like to know your opinions on this idea.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #55
Sam Harris

Fundamentalist atheist -- I think this is just a play on words: Like "science is a religion", "atheism is a faith", etc.

The question to ask is, can we be too intellectually honest? Too undogmatic? Too open to evidence and argument?

Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #56
Professor Chaos

I was wondering if anyone has asked Sam about the organization he's trying to put together that has been mentioned on his website in its forum section. I'm curious about what the nature of such an organization will be, and what it would do in relation to the other atheist/secular organizations out there.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #57
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sam Harris wrote
But the other answer (and totally honest) is that we just don't understand why the constants of nature are the way they are, and the notion of a designer God is gratuitous (and in need of its own explanation).
Indeed. It usually ends with "God must have done it" But most theists seem to think that alone solves all the problems.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #58
WahooRye

True scathach. I think, as hard as it might be, we need to argue our point yes, but do it in a classy, intelligent way. People who feel like they or their beliefs are being attacked tend to block any and everything you might have to say out.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #59
Ickybod

Sam, God of all Atheists, I must say that I am honored and inspired by you showing up here. Thank you :bow:

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to your next book. I hope you completely CRUSH free will.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #60
A.M. Clear

Quote:
Sam Harris wrote
Fundamentalist atheist -- I think this is just a play on words: Like "science is a religion", "atheism is a faith", etc.

The question to ask is, can we be too intellectually honest? Too undogmatic? Too open to evidence and argument?
I agree. I do find it stupid when people compare atheism to religion and religious faith. We deny religion and supernatural claims.

Closed Thread