selliedjoup wrote View Post
Can they change?
Yes the theories could change.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #47
Saturday

Quote:
They can say what they want, it doesn't affect my life at all.
In what country do you live?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #48
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Saturday wrote View Post
Yes the theories could change.
If they can change they would be disputable.

meh
selliedjoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #49
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Saturday wrote View Post
In what country do you live?
New Zealand, praise be to Allah.

meh
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #50
Saturday

Quote:
If they can change they would be disputable.
In your worldview is there anything outside your mind that is indisputable? In other words, besides emotions, imagination, and logic systems such as mathematics, is there anything that is indisputable?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
Saturday

Quote:
New Zealand, praise be to Allah.
Well in that case, I can see why you would think,
Quote:
selliedjoup wrote
I don't identify as one due to it's pointlessness of saying you lack belief in what any religious person believes to be true.
Quote:
selliedjoup wrote
They can say what they want, it doesn't affect my life at all.
If you lived in the United States, India, GB, or a Middle Eastern country would it affect you? If you had been at the World Trade Center and was one of the 2k people killed, would you still say you weren't affected?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #52
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Yaay - we might get a game of 50-50 bullshit bingo after all ....

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #53
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Your position is built on the lack of evidence being evidence for your own conclusion. That you disregard the lack of evidence for any answer highlights the issue in your position.
You have a knack for getting things backwards. It would be impressive if it wasn't so stupid.

Seriously. You don't seem to be able to get out of this idea of "I want X to be true, so I'll find all the evidence I can that points that way and only look at that". You're stuck in this rut so much that you don't seem to be able to even grasp the idea of anyone looking at things from another angle (that is to say, taking all the evidence into account and following it to a conclusion, rather than having a conclusion and finding what gets you there).

Quote:
So you don't think what evidence I would accept or be convinced by are the same thing? Don't know why.
I know you don't get it. I've been telling you that. I'll say it again - you ignore evidence that doesn't get you to the conclusion you are after, rather than looking at all the evidence and letting it lead to a conclusion.

Quote:
I look at everything and despite a lack of evidence, the issue of everything still requires an answer.
No. No, it doesn't.

Quote:
You will need to cite what you propose the "everything" in "everything that doesn't get you to your conclusion" actually is. I'll assume this is where you footnote a non-existent post you made sometime, somewhere in a galaxy far far away.
No, I can't be assed looking through everything to find the countless times I or others have already told you the same thing already. Clearly that doesn't work, you'll just bury your head deeper into the sand.

Instead, I'm going to tell you a story.

This is story of Jerry.

One day, Jerry was walking in the countryside when he saw something shiny on the ground.
"wow! how lucky!" thought Jerry, "I've just found a rare ancient egyptian coin! This thing has to be worth a few hundred dollars!".
Excitedly he showed his friend, Michael.

"but Jerry," said Michael, "How could you know this is an egyptian coin? There are no egyptian markings on it."

"That doesn't mean it's not egyptian"

"in fact, there are no markings on it at all. Nothing. There is no reason to believe this is even a coin. On top of that, we live in the southern hemisphere, and there is no reason to believe that an egyptian coin would be lying around in the middle of the countryside half a world away from the country of origin"

"But there has to be an answer to what this is."

"Yes, but there is absolutely nothing here that points to it being an ancient egyptian coin"

"Oh, so you're going to base your belief on a lack of evidence? this coin didn't just come about on it's own. There has to be an answer how it got there. So you're saying this coin just popped up out of nowhere?"

"No, I'm saying that how it got there, and what it really is are two things I don't have enough information to answer - but given it's size, the type of metal, the fact that it looks like it was fabricated on a machine and that it lacks any egyptian markings whatsoever mean that it pretty clearly doesn't look like an egyptian coin."

"Yeah, but either it's an egyptian coin or it's not, so there's at least a 50/50 chance!"

"No, because all those things I mentioned before still point to it being something other than an egyptian coin. It would be increasingly unlikely for it to be an egyptian coin with every new discovery about this piece of metal that points away from that option"

"Whatever. You keep asserting that it somehow magically just showed up one day due to your lack of evidence. It's clearly an egyptian coin and I'm going to go make my fortune off it."

Jerry then went to a rare coin dealer to sell his rare egyptian coin,only to be laughed out of the shop.

Last edited by Michael; 07-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #54
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Yaay - we might get a game of 50-50 bullshit bingo after all ....
Anybody still have the card?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #55
Saturday

That was a pretty incredible sample of storytelling. It was actually entertaining... thanks =D
Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #56
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Saturday wrote View Post
In your worldview is there anything outside your mind that is indisputable? In other words, besides emotions, imagination, and logic systems such as mathematics, is there anything that is indisputable?
Outside of emotions etc I don't think there is.

I don't seek to apply absolutes to justify what I think, as I don't depend on a lack of evidence to prove anything.

meh
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #57
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Saturday wrote View Post
Well in that case, I can see why you would think,

If you lived in the United States, India, GB, or a Middle Eastern country would it affect you? If you had been at the World Trade Center and was one of the 2k people killed, would you still say you weren't affected?
I lived in London in 2005 during the bus bombing, and was in Barcelona for the Madrid train bombing.

Your second question is bizarre.

People are affected by many things, I blame people who undertake the actions rather than the justification they provide to rationalise it.

meh
Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #58
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
You have a knack for getting things backwards. It would be impressive if it wasn't so stupid.

Seriously. You don't seem to be able to get out of this idea of "I want X to be true, so I'll find all the evidence I can that points that way and only look at that". You're stuck in this rut so much that you don't seem to be able to even grasp the idea of anyone looking at things from another angle (that is to say, taking all the evidence into account and following it to a conclusion, rather than having a conclusion and finding what gets you there).

No, I can't be assed looking through everything to find the countless times I or others have already told you the same thing already. Clearly that doesn't work, you'll just bury your head deeper into the sand.
The irony is I have reached no conclusion due to the lack of evidence, you dwell on it as a badge of honour for your atheism.

Yet here you are saying I want something to be true so I reach a conclusion for which you have supposedly provided ample evidence to counter, but no one has ever seen. Complete bullshit.

Tell you what try actually providing some rationale apart from depending on the lack of evidence, and the lack of your evidence is just weak.

Don't worry I didn't read your story as your attempts for non-fiction are farcical so why would I bother with some story to illustrate how you view me.

meh
Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #59
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Don't worry I didn't read your story as your attempts for non-fiction are farcical so why would I bother with some story to illustrate how you view me.
That's a tell-tale sign that you have no idea how to respond to it, in other words.
That's okay. It's hard for you to go off-script, I get it. I can see you desperately working to try to get back on that familiar argument track.

Too bad I'm not going to let you get back on your rails. Let's go off-road.

What if I told you I knew that the world was only created 10 minutes ago, and everything you knew, everything you remembered, were all false memories planted in you when you were created (10 minutes ago). I know all this because I am the one who created everything.

Do you have an opinion on this?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #60
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

So You are the one true God???? It took you ten minutes??? I created it five minutes ago and implanted the idea into your head that you were the one that created everything after I sent you off with a map for some utterly hilarious shenanigans with some little people and a catchy end credits ditty.

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote