Old 01-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #166
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
The Judge wrote View Post
For anyone who's interested, it's started and so far I see a sort of god of the gaps phenomenon at play: Nothing that a little extra science can't fix.
Good ol' E-bore was pushing this shite back in 2011, Michael picked it up here, on post 43.
A couple of threads from 2005 also touch on the subject!
I vaguely recall Sternwallow chipping in somewhere on single cell feeding mechanisms, but I'm buggered if I can find it. I also recently came across a couple of papers on the subject, but I didn't save the links cos I'm too tight to pay the access fees dammit!
The whole thing sounds too Chopra to me.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #167
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Good ol' E-bore was pushing this shite back in 2011, Michael picked it up here, on post 43.
I vaguely recall Sternwallow chipping in somewhere on single cell feeding mechanisms, but I'm buggered if I can find it. I also recently came across a couple of papers on the subject, but I didn't save the links cos I'm too tight to pay the access fees dammit!
Oh shit, really?! That's kinda sad
Good ol' Sterny. The forum is a poorer place without him. Raising a glass to him as I type.
I am grateful for your curatorial (OMG just looked it up to check and that's actually a word...yes! ) talents in finding these old posts.
I'll pretend this whiskey is Drambuie and raise a glass to you too

I found a so-recent-it-hasn't-been-peer-reviewed-yet paper and used it cautiously which lays down and suggests some much-needed science but Egor is unsurprisingly not grasping it. He's quite far out there (not the furthest out there I've seen but he's pretty far).

Anyway in the meantime...To Sternwallow! *clink*

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #168
hertz vanrental
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
I've been over there just now.

What I'm seeing are outrageous claims being made by ego centric without the necessary scientific supporting evidence. It's a case of a "theory" looking for something that can be manufactured into evidence to support the theory.

A paramecium, a mono-cellular organism found in pond water, is observed to swim in a particular direction in order to get food and eventually return to its starting position.

This activity has been observed many times by many observers over many years.

ego centric reports seeing this activity one day.

ego centric, in his infinite wisdom, makes the staggering claim that paramecium is making conscious decisions and is storing memories of its starting position even though it has no brain. He then makes an equally staggering claim that consciousness therefore does not require a brain.

This is piss-poor science.

It is true that it is currently unclear as to the mechanisms involved in paramecium's actions but, to then state that consciousness does not require a brain is staggering and unworthy of someone who refers to himself as a scientist. Clearly, he is not.

It is more likely that ego centric has a solution, which he doesn't realise is invalid, and is looking for evidence to support it.

Mechanisms are being investigated which may well account for the observed behaviour of paramecium. However, my feeling is that they will not be accepted by ego centric since he has already decided what the cause of the behaviour is.

ego centric doesn't understand how a universe can emerge literally out of nothing. He therefore invents god as the solution.

Same, same.
hertz vanrental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #169
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
The Judge wrote View Post
Oh shit, really?! That's kinda sad
Good ol' Sterny. The forum is a poorer place without him. Raising a glass to him as I type.
I am grateful for your curatorial (OMG just looked it up to check and that's actually a word...yes!) talents in finding these old posts.
I'll pretend this whiskey is Drambuie and raise a glass to you too

I found a so-recent-it-hasn't-been-peer-reviewed-yet paper and used it cautiously which lays down and suggests some much-needed science but Egor is unsurprisingly not grasping it. He's quite far out there (not the furthest out there I've seen but he's pretty far).

Anyway in the meantime...To Sternwallow! *clink*
I'm still sad that I couldn't make the flight & road trip to meet the 'grumpy geezer' - but he left the world so much wisdom to tap into - cheers indeed!
I'm afraid there's no secret to unearthing the old stuff - the advanced search function will always outdo my addled aging grey cells. and don't expect any meaningful science related stuff out of Eddy boy - you're not the first to realise how far gone he is is!
The missus says 'hi' and the dog just farted - well, I think it was that way round!

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 01-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #170
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Judge, you may be able to pick something useful from this clump of PZ Myer's stuff.
Microbiology & genetics ain't my strong point.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:37 AM   #171
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Cheers Smelly

"Hi" to Mistress Mod and "woof" to the Smellyolddog

Last edited by Smellyoldgit; 01-16-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #172
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
Prove it[...]
Coming from you, dumbfuck, that means very little. You can make all the demands you want, but until you start working on your back log of to support with evidence, there is no reason to take you seriously here.

And you'll never see me saying anything like that coming from you or Egor or any of the other mentally challenged theist posters here. None of you idiots have ever produced anything worthwhile.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #173
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Coming from you, dumbfuck, that means very little. You can make all the demands you want, but until you start working on your back log of to support with evidence, there is no reason to take you seriously here.

And you'll never see me saying anything like that coming from you or Egor or any of the other mentally challenged theist posters here. None of you idiots have ever produced anything worthwhile.
In other words "I can't prove it (that I'm open to amending my views) " Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!
Andrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:05 AM   #174
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

I was just checking how the debate worked out and it looks like EgoBore has deleted the consciousness debate already. Wow! he must have been soundly beaten.

Actually it looks like he deleted the whole Veridican site. Good riddance. Boo Hoo!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #175
hertz vanrental
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
I was just checking how the debate worked out and it looks like EgoBore has deleted the consciousness debate already. Wow! he must have been soundly beaten.

Actually it looks like he deleted the whole Veridican site. Good riddance. Boo Hoo!
No. The main veruka site is still there. At least it was 5 mins ago when I checked. But, yes, he's removed the site where he mass debates. Either that or there is a genuine fault at the site.

Ego posted, The Judge posted and so did I. That was it. When ego got slammed on one thread, he simply opened another. Non of the posts were particularly complimentary. ego lost every single argument. That shouldn't have mattered though because ego claimed that he was all about free speech yada yada and even accused SOG of changing his posts on here.

Basically, ego did piss poor science in a piss poor way and piled false assumption upon false assumption.

Paramecium, a mono-cellular organism, which doesn't have a brain and is found in pond water, exhibits certain behaviour. Instead of wondering why it behaves in the manner it does, ego firstly claims that paramecium has consciousness and then further claims that consciousness doesn't require a brain.

Anyone making such extraordinary claims better have a shit pile of extraordinary evidence all peer-reviewed by some some scientists with plenty of clout. Of course, ego didn't and got right royally twatted - as he should.

He's off the scale of insanity - way off.

I've never heard of behaviour like this. I've lead a sheltered life.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #176
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

I only tried through the links on this thread. Smelly might have shut them down. Oh well.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:55 AM   #177
hertz vanrental
Obsessed Member

Quote:
I only tried through the links on this thread. Smelly might have shut them down. Oh well.
No, the links will work if the ego site works.

It's the ego site that's either been deleted or is kaput.

Of course, ego will come back here claiming that the Smelly-Judge-Hertz triad has sabotaged his site - but there ya go.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:47 AM   #178
The Judge
Obsessed Member

No, the sniveling little shit-muncher has taken down all the evidence that he is an obstinate and deluded know-nothing. This guy is definitely somewhere towards the thin end of a schizotypal spectrum: Paranoia (prayer meetings with side arms), delusions of consciousness being received somehow and by non-neurological means to boot and let's not forget the astral travel to hell (which is really quite nice actually...?!?!?!)

The damndest thing was that I suspected he'd do something like this and so I started making an MS Word .doc backup but only got as far the first post

Oh well. I'll know better next time.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 AM   #179
hertz vanrental
Obsessed Member

Tell you what I find intriguing - how does a mind like ego's come up with the idea that paramecium can achieve consciousness without a brain?

Hell, even Charlie Brooker couldn't come up with that one and he can come up with some pretty weird shit when he wants.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #180
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Nope, I've touched nothing.
EgoBore's removed (or hidden) the entire 'debate' section but the parent veridican horseshit is still there for his hoards of followers to wank over!

Stop the Holy See men!