Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #121
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
supersuper09 wrote View Post

This I understand. This is why I think my question is not simply a reiteration of the 'atheists can't be good argument'. I don't think that it's relevant...if there is a God, religious people still think they are free to be bad. I think we have the evidence as well.
Maybe you could be more explicit what you mean by "common good". If you mean the "preservation of society for a species that craves social interaction", you have answered your own question.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #122
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
rationale, is based on evidence, evidence is based on knowledge, knowledge is arrived at through interpretation of meaning, meaning is subjective.

I think.
I disagree. Knowledge is verified facts (evidence) that have been integrated into the overall body of knowledge yielding improved understanding of the real world. The integration is performed via rational thought. When the integration produces an explanation of the accumulated knowledge, you have a theory. If either evidence or rationality is missing or faulty, no theory is produced.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #123
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
I agree, that the golden rule is depicted in many worldviews. Yet the reason that legality has rarely equated morality is that it is one thing to believe in the golden rule, and yet another things to practice it universally. Surely there are people that don't actually believe in the golden rule...people we think are unethical, and could influence others to do the same. We may call them crazy sociopaths or unethical "criminals" now...but there is no universally common practice of good, and no guarantee that the dominant sensibility will never change. Could we reach a common practice of good/social singularity without wiping out those who don't have these shared ethics?

btw: I don't usually have these kinds of conversations...drives my friends crazy...so if there is inconsistency with my terms...just let me know. I'm trying not to overthink it...and let the ideas flow freely.
Please explain "social singularity" a little more. It reads like solidarity or mutual support and I do not think, from your context that those are what you mean.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #124
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
I am craving chicken balls...you know with the red sauce?

yes. totally random.
Random is OK, especially when you have the courtesy to label it as such, but I wonder just why you clank the brooch with custom so randomly?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #125
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
ok...now would be a good time to reveal that I'm a theist.
Wow, that was as shocking a revelation as Liberace admitting he was gay!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #126
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Wow, that was as shocking a revelation as Liberace admitting he was gay!
Liberace was gay?

No Way!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote