Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Drambuie and You

Tonight in the supermarket, I decided to buy a bottle of something to celebrate a special event. I was making a beeline for the Jack Daniels, when I spied a distinguished bottle locked safe and sound behind a metal sanctuary. Having faith in those who have influenced my life in matters momentous, I purchased a bottle of Drambuie, and am savoring it as I write this epistle.

Drambuie

According to the sages of the Internet, Drambuie (pronounced /dræmˈbjuːi/ or /dræmˈbuːi/) is a honey-and herb-flavoured golden liqueur made from aged malt whisky, heather honey and a secret blend of herbs and spices. The flavour suggests saffron, honey, anise, nutmeg and herbs. It is produced in Broxburn, West Lothian, Scotland, and can be served "neat" (at room temperature with no ice), on the rocks, or used as an ingredient in a mixed drink, such as the rusty nail cocktail. The alcohol by volume of Drambuie liqueur is 40% (80 proof).

History

After the battle of Culloden (1746), Prince Charles Edward Stuart fled to the Isle of Skye. There, he was given sanctuary by Captain John MacKinnon of Clan MacKinnon. According to family legend, after staying with the captain, the prince rewarded him with this prized drink recipe. (This version of events is disputed by historians – some believe it to be a story concocted to boost sales of the drink).

The legend holds that the recipe was given in the late 19th century by Clan MacKinnon to James Ross. Ross ran the Broadford Hotel in the Isle of Skye, where he developed and improved the recipe, initially for his friends. It was one of these friends who coined the name. Ross then sold it further afield, eventually to France and the United States. It was Ross who patented it, in London.

Ross died young, and to pay for their children's education, his widow was obliged to sell the recipe, by coincidence to a different MacKinnon family, in the early 20th century. The latter MacKinnon family has been producing the drink since.

The first commercial distribution of Drambuie, in Edinburgh, was in 1910. Only twelve cases were originally sold. In 1916, Drambuie became the first liqueur to be allowed in the cellars of the House of Lords, and Drambuie began to ship world-wide to stationed British soldiers. In the 1980s, the producers of Drambuie began to advertise the liqueur. More recently work has been done to strengthen the reputation of the brand after a downturn in popularity and sales.

Appraisal

The first thing I should point out is that Drambuie is a liquor, not a whiskey. It is sweet, really sweet. I am having mine over the rocks. Even with some melted ice, it is very sweet. It tastes like whiskey with lots of honey and a slight aftertaste of herbs. I am having a difficult time finishing the first glass. I have to sip it really slowly to get it down. I am wondering if the Leprechauns truly want us to drink Drambuie.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

To not be blessed with the Drambuie appreciation gene would be most tragic and persistence will be required - it took me many minutes way back in my youth to acquire the liking and it has never left me. A few tips from a connoisseur of the great drink;

Go easy on the ice - dilution is a terrible thing - one lump should suffice.
You could try a Rusty Nail, where the sweetness of the Drambuie softens the harshness of a traditional whisky.

You could of course try the new style bottle:

Presentation really makes a difference.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I actually passed the new long neck style bottle up for the old one. I think it looks more regal. Alright then, I will give the rusty nail a try. I have also been informed that this legendary liquor makes a considerable cocktail.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

ugh. this stuff sounds like cough syrup. though I do like meade....

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
ugh. this stuff sounds like cough syrup. though I do like meade....
Careful, dude!

You want Smelly to car bomb your house or what?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Jaeger Bombs!!

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Ghoul, it's a liqueur not liquor, you're not meant to guzzle it. It's meant as a small aperitif in a shot glass, which is nice. Drinking a pint of it'll give you the boak

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Ghoul, it's a liqueur not liquor, you're not meant to guzzle it. It's meant as a small aperitif in a shot glass, which is nice. Drinking a pint of it'll give you the boak
Sorry! I was drunk at the time.

What's the point of not guzzling it?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I do dislike so much of the hyped-up shite that is christmas. However, I slip back into annual hypocrite mode to take advantage of the abundant booze offers of our beloved supermarkets.
I suspect I may have damaged my rear suspension carting the cheap Drambuie back from Tesco.
I may be more incoherent than usual over the coming weeks.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

You and your drambuie!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I just returned from a a quick trip to Japan and then rolled right off to Virginia for early Christmas. My throat was raw as a gang bang twink's butt muffin from the constant talking I did in Japan. I grabbed the bottle of drambuie before I went out the door to Virginia, and took a good hit. I must confess, it makes for excellent cough syrup - excellent!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I just returned from a a quick trip to Japan and then rolled right off to Virginia for early Christmas. My throat was raw as a gang bang twink's butt muffin from the constant talking I did in Japan. I grabbed the bottle of drambuie before I went out the door to Virginia, and took a good hit. I must confess, it makes for excellent cough syrup - excellent!
Virginia! Now you're in my neck o' the woods!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Virginia! Now you're in my neck o' the woods!
Your neck of the woods is colder than a brass dildo, dude!

I might be coming back sometime next year to do a little camping and fishing. I'll let you know if I do.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

LOL...it is right now 4 sure, or, as some prefer, colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra face down in the snow...

I don't camp or fish much, but if you ever want to try some rock climbing let me know!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
LOL...it is right now 4 sure, or, as some prefer, colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra face down in the snow...

I don't camp or fish much, but if you ever want to try some rock climbing let me know!
What part of the state are you in, if I may ask?