Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
simpledon

Student kidnaps Eucharist - commits mortal sin

http://www.wftv.com/news/16798008/detail.html

A college student, upset that his student fees in a state supported school were being used to finance Catholic religious ceremonies, pocketed the Eucharist and took it home!

The Eucharist is a dry, tasteless, unleavened piece of flour which when blessed is the actual 'Body of Christ'.

Quote:
"It is hurtful," said Father Migeul Gonzalez with the Diocese. "Imagine if they kidnapped somebody and you make a plea for that individual to please return that loved one to the family."

Gonzalez said intentionally abusing the Eucharist is classified as a mortal sin in the Catholic church, the most severe possible. If it's not returned, the community of faith will have to ask for forgiveness.

"We have to make acts of reparation," Gonzalez said. "The whole community is going to turn to prayer. We'll ask the Lord for pardon, forgiveness, peace, not only for the whole community affected by it, but also for [Cook], we offer prayers for him as well."
The student involved claims he’s getting death threats for messing with something sacred.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Atheist Geordie

I read that. How can that be a hate crime?

Still in the bible Genocide, Rape, Sexual slavery, War crimes, brutality, all OK, however you steal a piece of bread!!!!!.........
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Atheist Geordie

Also is it me but the idea of eating the flesh of any human, Christ or otherwise, (whether it is symbolic ie the Anglican Church and literal as in Catholicism), is Cannibalism and somewhat sick?!?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
Single Serving Jack
A caricature

I assume most of you will have seen P.Z.Myers post about this:

IT'S A FRACKIN’ CRACKER!

Well Bill Donohue has seen it and the Catholics are going menkle about it:

Fight back against Bill Donohue!

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day" - Douglas Adams
Single Serving Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Atheist Geordie wrote View Post
Also is it me but the idea of eating the flesh of any human, Christ or otherwise, (whether it is symbolic ie the Anglican Church and literal as in Catholicism), is Cannibalism and somewhat sick?!?
It tastes wonderful if you are a Catholic, I am told. Haven't tried it myself. I think we should seek advice on this one from Lily.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Lily

Why is it that so many people believe that freedom of speech means freedom from the consequences of that speech? In this country that particular right only guarantees that the government won't lock you up. Everyone else is going to exercise his or her right to react to that speech as they wish. To not understand that is to invite grief. Meyers needs to grow up quickly and learn how the world works.

It is simply too bad that you don't understand why every single Catholic in creation would be livid (a weak word in this context) over this act. You don't have to understand anything. Just be very certain that actions have consequences and that certain actions are, by their nature, going to arouse some very deep passions. One arouses those passions at one's own risk.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Why is it that so many people believe that freedom of speech means freedom from the consequences of that speech? In this country that particular right only guarantees that the government won't lock you up. Everyone else is going to exercise his or her right to react to that speech as they wish. To not understand that is to invite grief. Meyers needs to grow up quickly and learn how the world works.

It is simply too bad that you don't understand why every single Catholic in creation would be livid (a weak word in this context) over this act. You don't have to understand anything. Just be very certain that actions have consequences and that certain actions are, by their nature, going to arouse some very deep passions. One arouses those passions at one's own risk.
I understand that Roman Catholics think a wafer is actually the body of their lord and savior. Personally, I wouldn't want to piss them off by deliberately playing with their beliefs in their house of worship anymore than I would want to piss off a group of Muslims by mocking their cherished beliefs in front of them.

I agree with you that there is an inherent risk in offending the sensibilities of others. But, come on, Lily, it's a friggin' cracker.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post

What if I desecrated the host and posted pictures in this forum? Would your passions be aroused enough for you to leave us and never return?

Cause you know I could take an hour out of my day on Sunday...

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
WickFut

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Fuck you , it's a cracker.

It is symbolic and made in a cracker factory just like every other cracker.

Quote:
Bullshit , it's a cracker.

I feel the same way about shit. I hold shit as symbolic to my holy god and if anyone flushes their shit down the toilet , they will have pissed my belief system off and will face concequences of my followers which include violence and abuse.

Is that ok for you ?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Lily

Quote:
WickFut wrote View Post
Fuck you , it's a cracker.

It is symbolic and made in a cracker factory just like every other cracker.

Thank you for your wholly irrelevant and original opinion. We do not share it and will act accordingly.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Barney

Location: This Jewel sat in a silver sea; England, my England
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Thank you for your wholly irrelevant and original opinion. We do not share it and will act accordingly.
I, like millions, ascribe to AJF's Holy Feaces as well. I trust you will be refraining from flushing the toilet?

"If you can wait 2000 years for Mr Christ, I can wait 19 years for John Frum" High Preist :- Church of John Frum 1952
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #12
WickFut

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
i have a cunning plan for you poeple...

Why don't you get a list of all the people who work in the factory that make the crackers. Then you can hunt them down, abuse them , threaten them and make claims against them for when you get like broken crackers in the box.

Why leave it at that ? why not get the parcel couriers details also , that way those crackers that break in transit can also be traced back to those sinful people and they can be punished acordingly.

fucking wankers.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Lily

Quote:
WickFut wrote View Post
i have a cunning plan for you poeple...

Why don't you get a list of all the people who work in the factory that make the crackers. Then you can hunt them down, abuse them , threaten them and make claims against them for when you get like broken crackers in the box.

Why leave it at that ? why not get the parcel couriers details also , that way those crackers that break in transit can also be traced back to those sinful people and they can be punished acordingly.

fucking wankers.
What has this got to do with anything? There is no problem with the factory, the people who work in it, the amount of breakage, etc. This is just the utter bad-tempered, ill-bred cluelessness of homo Buttheadiensis being given a voice. Its mommy ought to shut it up.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #14
Lily

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
I thought the person who claimed that Catholics all over the world should be "livid" over the desecrations would have an insight.
What I actually said was:
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It is simply too bad that you don't understand why every single Catholic in creation would be livid (a weak word in this context) over this act.
Should means ought. I didn't claim that because I have no particular right to tell people how they ought to feel. A fairly intelligent reading of that post will demonstrate that I claimed that every Catholic (=believes in the Real Presence and Transubstantiation) would be livid. The difference is not subtle, Studge. I was trying to get at the visceral reaction to desecration. Most humans do not allow what they hold dear to be trashed without protest.

Since belief in the Real Presence and in Transubstantiation are the distinctive beliefs that set Catholics apart from Protestants, your non-believing Catholics aren't Catholics in anything but name. Why would they or should they be livid over something they don't believe in?

Of course, you can't ask a straightforward question or stay on topic. So who can know what you are really talking about? I guess this is the "insight" you thought I might have but who can tell with you?

And we go 'round and 'round in circles.

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
I know one thing that the Church teaches that you seem to have forgotten: Catholics are supposed to be guided by the love of Christ in their interactions with atheists. That's why I often tell you I love you, so that you can keep up the pretence. Maybe you haven't forgotten it, but just haven't learned it yet -- you are after all quite new to the flock.
You tell me that you love me because it amuses you, as do all your various mockeries. I don't mind. It is silly but harmless.

Christ loved sinners; he did not love sin; it cost him his life. That love is not a warm, fuzzy feeling. It is an act of the will that demands the ability to distinguish between good and evil. Mockery of what is good, hate, contempt, such as Myers demonstrated, and the abuse of other humans are evil. Those who praise such things are not helped by anyone pretending that those things don't matter. They do.

I will not pretend that black is white, up is down, and evil is good. You would do well to stop fooling yourself.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #15
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Professor,
Don't forget, all the Catholics that don't take transubstantiation all too seriously, aren't really Catholics. A simple "No True Catholic" argument magically makes her statement valid (in Lily's world).
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
A fairly intelligent reading of that post will demonstrate that I claimed that every Catholic (=believes in the Real Presence and Transubstantiation) would be livid.
Since belief in the Real Presence and in Transubstantiation are the distinctive beliefs that set Catholics apart from Protestants, your non-believing Catholics aren't Catholics in anything but name. Why would they or should they be livid over something they don't believe in?
We can read Lily like a cheap Hustler paperback.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote