Any other girls here

hi again:

Any other girls in this forum
or just me..

To talk with each other

Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I have been known to dress up for the occasional pantomime, but that's as close as I get.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Lily

Quote:
miss-totta wrote View Post
hi again:

Any other girls in this forum
or just me..

To talk with each other

Yes, there are a few females on this forum (rumor has it that I am one but I am not an atheist), most of them of the atheist variety. But it is a strange, sociological fact that most atheists are male. I just recently saw some statistics that indicate that atheists are 70% male and 30% female. I believe it since it helps explain why the men here whine so pitifully and talk so dirty. They are desperate for female companionship (and the civilizing influence of women)!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
psychodiva
I Live Here

depending of which country or culture you are talking about I would say that the females who are atheist tend to keep their mouths shut in fear of losing their heads

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I just recently saw some statistics that indicate that atheists are 70% male and 30% female. I believe it since it helps explain why the men here whine so pitifully and talk so dirty. They are desperate for female companionship (and the civilizing influence of women)!
In that case, blow me.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Lily

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
depending of which country or culture you are talking about I would say that the females who are atheist tend to keep their mouths shut in fear of losing their heads
That is, undoubtedly, true but it still doesn't explain the disparity. There aren't many places in the west (and I believe those were European stats) that women can lose their heads for being atheists. The imbalance is very pronounced.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Simple Mind

maybe it's simpler than that

you know, maybe it's just because women are stupid

Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
miss-totta

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Yes, there are a few females on this forum (rumor has it that I am one but I am not an atheist), most of them of the atheist variety. But it is a strange, sociological fact that most atheists are male. I just recently saw some statistics that indicate that atheists are 70% male and 30% female. I believe it since it helps explain why the men here whine so pitifully and talk so dirty. They are desperate for female companionship (and the civilizing influence of women)!
i thing that s coz women are emotional about religion
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Irreligious
I Live Here

Um, you haven't exactly "explained" the alleged disparity, either, Lily. If there is a disparity and it's as large as you say it is, why assume it has anything to do with atheism giving men license to talk in a sexually frank manner?

Men, whether they're atheists or Christians, tend to be aggressive, sexually and otherwise.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Simple Mind

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I just recently saw some statistics that indicate that atheists are 70% male and 30% female.

link?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
PanAtheist
Obsessed Member

Do the Math!

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I just recently saw some statistics that indicate that atheists are 70% male and 30% female.
If that's true, it's not unexpected.

Free-expression of free-thought will tend to be associated with financial independence.
Toeing-the-line, and not-rocking-the-boat, will tend to be associated with financial dependence.

Therefore, in any society predominantly "theist", and where the men are predominantly the cash-earners, and women in practice dependent on them, it is not unlikely that a greater proportion of people identifying as "atheist" will be men.

[Edit: I'm not really so sure about that as I sound.]

Healthy genes act as team-players. They are teamish!
Their winning plays are
salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
Only a fraction of genes are selfish/parasitic (and they
parasitize teams).
PanAtheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Simple Mind

Quote:
PanAtheist wrote View Post
If that's true, it's not unexpected.

Free-expression of free-thought will tend to be associated with financial independence.
Toeing-the-line, and not-rocking-the-boat, will tend to be associated with financial dependence.

Therefore, in any society predominantly "theist", and where the men are predominantly the cash-earners, and women in practice dependent on them, it is not unlikely that a greater proportion of people identifying as "atheist" will be men.
the site i found says in America it's 60/40
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/94190

me thinks lily just plucks stuff from her ass
Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Simple Mind wrote View Post
the site i found says in America it's 60/40
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/94190

me thinks lily just plucks stuff from her ass
Quote:
When asked for their religious affiliation, 15 percent of Americans say none, but only 0.7 percent say atheist and 0.9 percent agnostic. However, when asked if they believe in God, 2.3 percent say "There is no such thing," making most of them atheists who do not like or understand the label "atheist," 4.3 percent say "There is no way to know," making most of them agnostics who don't like or understand the label "agnostic" (or, in another interpretation, atheists not quite comfortable in atheism),...
The writer ignores a better interpretation: atheism and agnosticism are not considered "religious affiliations."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
That is, undoubtedly, true but it still doesn't explain the disparity. There aren't many places in the west (and I believe those were European stats) that women can lose their heads for being atheists. The imbalance is very pronounced.
it is an interesting question when you take into account the fact that we (loosely - I do not include many islamist females here as they are just as likely in the west to get their heads took off as anywhere else) in the west are unlikely to get our heads 'took off' for not believing- I suspect it has something psychological or sociological underlying it- but then I always think that

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
PanAtheist
Obsessed Member

Older females received less education than older males

The very obvious thing is that in the older sector of the population, females received less schooling than their male contempories.

My mum (in her 70s) was basically taught reading, writing, and arithmetic, and then went to secretarial college.

So, yeah, the less-educated sector of the population tends to be more theistic. The better-educated sector of the population tends to be more atheist.

Who'd have thought?

Healthy genes act as team-players. They are teamish!
Their winning plays are
salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
Only a fraction of genes are selfish/parasitic (and they
parasitize teams).

Last edited by PanAtheist; 01-04-2010 at 12:36 PM.
PanAtheist is offline   Reply With Quote