Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #31
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
No, it's a slippery slope. Non existent until proven to exist. The whole God story is so flimsy that the one sane thing to do is to regulate it to fiction, as the Iliad was supposed to be about a fictional city until Schliemann discovered Troy.

When and if concrete evidence is presented, we can revisit the story in that light. But not until then.
I agree, but you have to accept the possibility, however slim is that what we don't know may exist don't you?

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #32
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
I agree, but you have to accept the possibility, however slim is that what we don't know may exist don't you?
I would think it dishonest to discount the existence of something that is yet to be, or is only very loosely defined. Whenever Dawkins states this he does so in a very general way. If someone asked if he thought that the Catholic god existed, or Jesus Christ as per the gospels, I think he would give a very definitive no.

The correct answer (although much longer) would probably be to ask the person asking to define god first.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #33
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
In this case, no. Do we have to accept the possibility that the Tooth Fairy exists? NO. We can wait until (IF) proof is presented to even consider it. Some things are too preposterous to give the benefit of the doubt to. If you start on that slippery slope, the next thing to do is accept Pascal's Wager. And after that, there's no stopping. You've given the God people an "in."

Wait until there IS proof. THEN consider the possibility, for things that are as ridiculous as Santa, the Easter Bunny and Jesus. The "evidence" presented so far does not deserve that kind of consideration.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

I think we should imagine ourselves in Dawkin's shoes. He has been at the forefront of the battle against superstition for years now and it looks to me that he hardly ever shirks confrontation and the responsibility he has given himself as a spokesperson for common sense.

It can't be easy and he must get pressure from all sides, sometimes he is accused of being intolerant and extreme. By theists he is always vilified, I'm sure that means an endless stream of nasty mail and even threats to his well being. He is the poster boy for atheists but also the poster boy for religious hate. If he has yielded a little to make his life slightly easier and perhaps soften his image, I say fair enough it's up to him, or perhaps as a scientist he needs to hold that stance, it's not like he has recanted his belief in rationality and the scientific method.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

That's the problem with superheroes, one day they will to tuck their cape into their underpants.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #36
orangeitis

I doubt he done if because he was so antagonized by theists. I think that he just wanted to clarify his position more.

Christians! Want to convert some atheists? read this!
orangeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #37
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
In this case, no. Do we have to accept the possibility that the Tooth Fairy exists? NO. We can wait until (IF) proof is presented to even consider it. Some things are too preposterous to give the benefit of the doubt to. If you start on that slippery slope, the next thing to do is accept Pascal's Wager. And after that, there's no stopping. You've given the God people an "in."

Wait until there IS proof. THEN consider the possibility, for things that are as ridiculous as Santa, the Easter Bunny and Jesus. The "evidence" presented so far does not deserve that kind of consideration.
Tooth fairies are not the same. You can leave a tooth under a pillow and monitor with cameras to see your mum put 50p under your pillow. God is undefined, how the theists twist things so. It just means that you cannot offer 100% their is no god till you know fully what its is your 100% certain about. Just my opinion, and I think the way of thinking Dawkins was talking about.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #38
Sol

Quote:
Tooth fairies are not the same. You can leave a tooth under a pillow and monitor with cameras to see your mum put 50p under your pillow. God is undefined, how the theists twist things so. It just means that you cannot offer 100% their is no god till you know fully what its is your 100% certain about. Just my opinion, and I think the way of thinking Dawkins was talking about.
Shrly that is the point, ILJ .
God Inc. is defined, squillions of people have him defined and his profligate Son and the spooky ghost thing. Folks go to special buildings designated for the purpose of God mumbling. They point in certain directions, stick their collective arses in the air and gibber to the specially defined God Geezer.

God is the most defined thing ever imagined by delusional meat bags that have only just come down from the trees.....

God is Uber-defined.............. THEREFORE we can ascertain (from the definition) and at an alarming rate of 100% that GOD IS NOT REAL....

(Special dispensation is given for leprechauns due to their definition not being subject to inverse reality projections... i.e. they do exist... but aren't real)

Professor Plum - In the Dinning Room - with the Lead Pipe...
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Sol wrote View Post
God Inc. is defined, squillions of people have him defined and his profligate Son and the spooky ghost thing. Folks go to special buildings designated for the purpose of God mumbling. They point in certain directions, stick their collective arses in the air and gibber to the specially defined God Geezer.

God is the most defined thing ever imagined by delusional meat bags that have only just come down from the trees.....

God is Uber-defined.............. THEREFORE we can ascertain (from the definition) and at an alarming rate of 100% that GOD IS NOT REAL....

(Special dispensation is given for leprechauns due to their definition not being subject to inverse reality projections... i.e. they do exist... but aren't real)
I am not advocating that there is a god, I would argue that the definition of "god" Is all over the place. Being 6 out of 7 sure isn't that big a deal.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #40
Sol

Quote:
I am not advocating that there is a god, I would argue that the definition of "god" Is all over the place. Being 6 out of 7 sure isn't that big a deal.
Didn't mean to give the impression that I thought you were, bud...

I just get a little irked with god for being "undefined"

My personal opine is that 6 out of 7 is for pussies. Dawkish should sack up and grow a pair and use reason and logic, instead of swishing about in a frock being Professor Reasonable Nice Guy.

Oh, and writing a decent book for once would be nice.

Am I going too far ?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #41
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Yes.
Balls=manly=logical

Frock=woman=illogical

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #42
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sol wrote View Post

I agree, Sol. The evidence presented so far for God is so inadequate that we are under no obligation to give such silliness the benefit of the doubt. If they ever do come up with something reasonable, THEN we MIGHT admit the possibility of God, depending on said evidence.

In the meantime, God people will try to wrangle an inch of admission from an atheist, and then wiggle in and argue them into admitting God. Not falling for it.

I will just ask them again, where is your concrete proof for the existence of God?

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #43
Sol

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Yes.
Balls=manly=logical

Frock=woman=illogical
NO..

Sol + whisky over time = Drunk

Drunk + keyboard = Twat

Your calculations are incorrect.....,
I'm more of a Twat than I am gender biased

However, consider me both atheistically penitent and rebuked

Old 02-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #44
Sol

Quote:
I agree, Sol. The evidence presented so far for God is so inadequate that we are under no obligation to give such silliness the benefit of the doubt. If they ever do come up with something reasonable, THEN we MIGHT admit the possibility of God, depending on said evidence.

In the meantime, God people will try to wrangle an inch of admission from an atheist, and then wiggle in and argue them into admitting God. Not falling for it.

I will just ask them again, where is your concrete proof for the existence of God?
that's the style, never give em an inch and leave them with no doubt.

Let them up their game...

Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #45
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sol wrote View Post
that's the style, never give em an inch and leave them with no doubt.

Let them up their game...