Old 10-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
mmfwmc

Coming out of the closet...

Hi,

Long time athiest first time insane ranter.

I've been an athiest since I was about ten. I stopped advertising the fact when I was 14, because no one who would argue with me was capable of it, and everyone else either treated me *special* or didn't care. But now I'm realising that I have the same responsibility to stand up against the negative effects of religious child abuse that I have to stand up to the negative effects of physical child abuse.

By that, I mean that when I see someone abusing a child physically, I do something about it. I don't feel the need to run around looking for it, because it's a big world. Likewise, I intend to do my best to stop people indoctinating children to accept faith over observation.

In my quest to do this, I am attempting to convince my best friend that if I wiped my ass with every page of the bible, the brown stains would still provide just as much (little) evidence for the existence of god.

She actually said to me today - actually today, not metaphorically - that she had only just realised that the bible never said anything about dinosaurs. This is not a stupid girl. She is studying for her docorate in computer science. I don't make friends with stupid people. She just lacks the ability to think critically about her religion. I'm working on her slowly.

Also, I'm wondering whether I should start on a hindu friend of mine - although she admits that it's just "tribal loyalty" - she believes in belief.

I don't think I can work much faster than one or two people at a time though - are there any better ways?

I guess I should put a bit in about myself:
I'm a New Zealander living in London. I went to university to be an engineer, but ended up doing physics, maths, psychology, philosophy, linguistics and computer science. I read everything I can get my hands on.

My hobbies are strategy based computer games, rugby, american football, drinking, blashpemy and casual sex.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Eva
Super Moderator

welcome to our humble forum. you should do well here.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Welcome to our fair forums mmfxzptq7... I'm just going to call you MM. Hope you enjoy yourself here!

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
mmf wrote
In my quest to do this, I am attempting to convince my best friend that if I wiped my ass with every page of the bible, the brown stains would still provide just as much (little) evidence for the existence of god.
Using the Babble for toilet paper is like trying to put out a fire with the Pope (you can't because he's inflammable).

Welcome to the damned. mmf Any chance you'll be going to the Giants-Dolphins game in a couple weeks?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

Welcome, mmf. I too am living in London, and consider myself a vicarious kiwi as all my flatmates and many of my other close friends are from the land of the sheep...
Waddlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Using the Babble for toilet paper is like trying to put out a fire with the Pope (you can't because he's inflammable).

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

He was at Burning Man?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
He was at Burning Man?
that explains a lot. HE didn't parkinsons, he just had some killer ganja. He's not the first person to sit in a chair for hours drooling after smoking weed

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Lurker

Quote:
mmfwmc wrote View Post
She actually said to me today - actually today, not metaphorically - that she had only just realised that the bible never said anything about dinosaurs.
therefore..... ?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
mmfwmc

Quote:
I just tried it. You're right, I'm dirtier now. Would love to go to the game, but can't afford it. I used to play linebacker/fullback in New Zealand.

MMFWMC stands for Mad Mother Fucker With A Meat Cleaver. (Don't ask). I've been using it since I started playing Quake armed with nothing but a knife. Just bash the keyboard randomly and I'll respond.

So many kiwis in London. It's a little scary.

Therefore nothing. She came to this point by herself. I hadn't even thought to mention it. I just mean that she's starting to realise that she should think about things. I've been working on her slowly for a couple of months. I figure if it takes three years and I save two or three kids it was worth the effort. Plus she is my friend, she's smart, and she doesn't make outrageously stupid arguments. She just relies on faith too much. I'm getting there though.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Lurker wrote View Post
therefore..... ?
I think he's implying that the power of Christ compels even ordinarily intelligent people to be morons when it comes the buy bull.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 10-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
Lurker

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
I think he's implying that the power of Christ compels even ordinarily intelligent people to be morons when it comes the buy bull.
I want to see how many non-sequitur's we can get out of that comment. Yours is not that good, but it still counts.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
mmfwmc

Quote:
Waddlie wrote View Post
Welcome, mmf. I too am living in London, and consider myself a vicarious kiwi as all my flatmates and many of my other close friends are from the land of the sheep...
Are your flatmates as depressed as me? My only religion just lost.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
Choobus
I Live Here

you're right, mine is a non-sequiter because christ has no power

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Lurker

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
you're right, mine is a non-sequiter because christ has no power
That makes two...keep going.